Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

If you need help in a crisis, call Lifeline on 13 11 14. For further information about depression contact beyondblue on 1300 224 636 or talk to your GP, local health professional or someone you trust.

Their failure to finish is a concern. Dead on their feet.
Passion can only carry you so far- maybe top 6 and out.
No concern at all at rd 8, with their list and capacity to improve. Winning close games now augurs well when the team has obvious key players still to return.
I would not be worrying about Carlton's finishes.
Top 4 is definitely possible and looking at last year, their age profile, and their list, quite likely.

If you need help in a crisis, call Lifeline on 13 11 14. For further information about depression contact beyondblue on 1300 224 636 or talk to your GP, local health professional or someone you trust.

Oh my God. That's unbelievably sad

No concern at all at rd 8, with their list and capacity to improve. Winning close games now augurs well when the team has obvious key players still to return.
I would not be worrying about Carlton's finishes.
Top 4 is definitely possible and looking at last year, their age profile, and their list, quite likely.

They are going well no doubt, considering they used to be the easy beats (although they traditionally troubled us)
But when you are 5-0 and then 6 goals up but allow them in to be 22 points down at 3/4 time, then they close, that is troubling. Granted Trac starred, but Walsh countered that, with Voss admitting to needing a more even system rather (or with) individual brilliance.

They are being called Cardiac Carlton, but that tag did no harm to Collingwood's final aspirations.
Time will be the judge, looking forward to our return bout, as all teams have improvement capacity.

Tigers rat free in 2025

Don't worry more will climb aboard, the RFC sewer. :)
Another rat in the ranks has parting wishes:
no balls to call out the rule changes by Stephen Shocking that stopped our dynasty dead in its tracks
:) :) :) delusional

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their failure to finish is a concern. Dead on their feet.
Passion can only carry you so far- maybe top 6 and out.
Think it’s on the coach- they were out on their feet but they got a lot wrong in the last half/ last quarter. ( eg big kicks out of their backline when they needed a chain of small kicks to someone on their own etc). Carlton don’t seem able to counter a team getting a run on against them. Geelong always manages to get another goal when a team is coming- and that makes a difference more often than not. Carlton don’t seem able to do that. If Voss can address that instead of just relying on the players to hold up, I reckon they’ll be very hard to beat. Oh and if number 4 can make fewer mistakes!

Re: the bolder section:

Why does this make you feel better? I genuinely don’t understand why, and no one seems to want to answer why a detailed injury report is of any benefit to anyone. Beyond the obvious reasons of gambling of course.

I've never once asked for, or advocated for, a 'detailed' injury report.

Not once have I seen anyone ask for details like blood tests, MRI results, neurological reports, or even blood pressures and heart rates.

All we've asked for, with which the AFL has agreed, is simply a relatively accurate return date, rather than the cynical 'term' that was thrown out.

Now, I don't necessarily disagree that the AFL has other motivations for doing so, but I don't think it's too much to ask on behalf of the supporters and sponsors who are the lifeblood of the club, and who have a simple, innocent interest in the welfare of the club and its players.

It's a simple thing, imo, that enhances the sense of involvement and belonging to a club as a supporter, rather than the sense of 'let them eat cake' that came with the 'term' designation.

It should have been postponed. Freo players still in shock about McCarthy

How many times have the AFL postponed/rescheduled a match?

The closest precedent I can think of is the death of Phil Walsh - that saw the clash between Adelaide & Geelong cancelled, with the points shared

But, I'm not sure it's a situation the AFL has really worked through how to handle

- In 2010 we were playing Adelaide at AAMI park. About 25 minutes before match time & during the players warm-up on the field, Geoff Allen (our team doctor) had a heart attack & collapsed on the field in front of the players. He was treated on the field, including the use of a defib & hidden by sheets, before being transported to hospital

The players were aware he was awake & on his way to hospital when they took to the field for the match, but no doubt that would have an impact

If there was a delay to the start time it was only minor

- In 2004, Wally Jackson who was the Swans head trainer, approx 15 minutes into the last quarter he had a heart attack while sitting on the bench; again directly in front of players, staff etc

He was pronounced dead after being transported to hospital following the incident

Sydney went from leading North by 40pts at 3/4 time to losing by 6 points - again, no doubt the unfolding events had a major impact on the Swans

I just don't think the AFL has worked out what to do or how best to handle these types of situations

I've never once asked for, or advocated for, a 'detailed' injury report.

Not once have I seen anyone ask for details like blood tests, MRI results, neurological reports, or even blood pressures and heart rates.

All we've asked for, with which the AFL has agreed, is simply a relatively accurate return date, rather than the cynical 'term' that was thrown out.

Now, I don't necessarily disagree that the AFL has other motivations for doing so, but I don't think it's too much to ask on behalf of the supporters and sponsors who are the lifeblood of the club, and who have a simple, innocent interest in the welfare of the club and its players.

It's a simple thing, imo, that enhances the sense of involvement and belonging to a club as a supporter, rather than the sense of 'let them eat cake' that came with the 'term' designation.
So are you saying you feel a greater sense of involvement with your club this year because of the changes to the injury reporting?

That seems weird to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back