News North Board Member Glenn Archer in Altercation at Junior Football Match (Charges laid)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has now been charged with assault apparently. If Arch is being charged I hope the bloke who struck a kid is also dragged into court.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-...-with-assault-at-junior-football-game/8651382
Former North Melbourne star Glenn Archer has been charged with assault after an incident at a junior football game in Melbourne's north-east.

Police said they were called to an incident at an oval off Beverly Rd in Heidelberg just before 4:00pm on Sunday after reports a runner had been assaulted by a spectator.

Archer, 44, was charged with unlawful assault and bailed to appear in the Heidelberg Magistrates' Court on September 1.

Police said the alleged victim, a 47-year-old from Montmorency, suffered minor injuries that did not require treatment.

Archer has said he was involved in the incident but denied assaulting anyone.

The retired player was watching his son play for Park Orchards Under 15s against Banyule in the Yarra Junior Football League when a fight broke out between two players on field.

Archer told SEN the boundary umpire, who was a parent from Banyule, became involved and he instinctively jumped the fence "in protection mode".

Archer said the incident settled down and he returned to the boundary line. He said at half-time, as the opposition coaches were coming off the field, the runner began verbally abusing him.

"It turned into a bit of a screaming match, I thought no-one is going to settle this down so I need to defuse the situation," he said.

"So I actually hopped in my car and went home."

Archer said he left the game before police arrived.

Archer played 311 games for the Kangaroos, including the 1996 and 1998 premierships. He won the Norm Smith Medal for best on ground in the 1996 Grand Final.

Known for his courage on-field, Archer was named North Melbourne's "Shinboner of the Century" in 2005, as the player that most embodied the club's spirit during its first 100 years.

Photo: Glenn Archer was one of North Melbourne's greatest players. (AAP: Ryan Pierse )

Archer 'regrets' running onto field
In a later statement released by North Melbourne, where Archer is a board member, Archer acknowledged he should not have jumped the fence.

"I regret my initial decision to enter the field of play and acknowledge it was wrong," he said.

"I would like to reinforce that under no circumstances should spectators or parents intervene in any on-field matters with players or officials, at any level."

The ABC has contacted the Yarra Junior Football League for comment.

Club Statement:
North Melbourne wishes to release the following statement from Glenn Archer:

“I would like to apologise unreservedly for my involvement in what transpired at a junior football match in Heidelberg on Sunday.

“Jumping the fence to defend a player was inappropriate and unacceptable.

“The incident that occurred several minutes later with the opposition team’s runner was also unfortunate.

“I would like to reinforce that under no circumstances should spectators or parents intervene in any on-field matters with players or officials, at any level.

“I regret my initial decision to enter the field of play and acknowledge it was wrong.

“I will fully cooperate with the Yarra Junior Football League if it investigates the matter further.”

Last edited:
North Melbourne wishes to release the following statement from Glenn Archer:

“I would like to apologise unreservedly for my involvement in what transpired at a junior football match in Heidelberg on Sunday.

“Jumping the fence to defend a player was inappropriate and unacceptable.

“The incident that occurred several minutes later with the opposition team’s runner was also unfortunate.

“I would like to reinforce that under no circumstances should spectators or parents intervene in any on-field matters with players or officials, at any level.

“I regret my initial decision to enter the field of play and acknowledge it was wrong.

“I will fully cooperate with the Yarra Junior Football League if it investigates the matter further.”

NORTH Melbourne board member and playing legend Glenn Archer has been charged by police over an incident at a junior football match on Sunday. Victoria Police confirmed on Monday it had charged a man with one count of unlawful assault. Archer, 44, has been bailed to appear at the Heidelberg Magistrates' Court on Friday, September 1.

Earlier Archer went on the front foot, apologising for overstepping the mark.

The incident, which allegedly saw Archer leap the fence and confront a boundary umpire, occurred at an under-15s game. Archer's son Jackson was playing for Park Orchards against Banyule in the Yarra Junior Football League at Beverley Road Oval. Archer told Melbourne radio station SEN on Monday morning he jumped the fence after a player was struck in the head.

"Instinctively, I go into protection mode, jumped the fence to protect the young boy," Archer said. "By the time I get over the fence it's over, so I just told the boundary umpire off for getting involved and touching the players and obviously hitting the player."

Archer said there was a subsequent altercation with the opposition runner at half-time, but denied reports that he punched the official, and said he left the venue shortly afterwards. In hindsight, he said he wouldn't jump the fence again. "It's such an instinctive thing and happened so quick. I definitely should not have jumped the fence but when you see a young boy get hit, that's what you do," he said.

Archer said he had not been contacted by police, but they did attend the ground after the incident.

In a statement issued by North Melbourne on Monday morning, Archer said: "I would like to apologise unreservedly for my involvement in what transpired at a junior football match in Heidelberg on Sunday.

"Jumping the fence to defend a player was inappropriate and unacceptable. "The incident that occurred several minutes later with the opposition team's runner was also unfortunate. "I would like to reinforce that under no circumstances should spectators or parents intervene in any on-field matters with players or officials, at any level."

More By Dinny Navaratnam

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-26/archer-denies-hitting-junior-football-official

How does s**t like this even make news.

Dude which millennium are you living in? We've got these things called mobile phones! They even have camera and can take videos, true!!

Oh yeah legend of the game and board director of an AFL club jumps the fence at a junior game and allegedly assaults umpire, that s**t was news even before mobile phones!

Has now been charged with assault apparently. If Arch is being charged I hope the bloke who struck a kid is also dragged into court.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-...-with-assault-at-junior-football-game/8651382

Club Statement:
At no stage in the story does it state that an adult struck a child, just that two players were fighting and the runner became involved. Let's hope that was the case. Touching or grabbing can also constitute assault, so let's hope that's all it was.

At no stage in the story does it state that an adult struck a child, just that two players were fighting and the runner became involved. Let's hope that was the case. Touching or grabbing can also constitute assault, so let's hope that's all it was.
Yep - first reports did say that the runner or boundary umpire (both parents) hit the kid with their forearm but that has not been mentioned since.

By the sounds of it, did the right thing and it absolutely disgusts me how professional obligations and legal sensibility are twisting an honourable man's arm into apologising for civilised conduct.

What were the rest of the crowd doing, sitting there and watching a 47 year old get stuck into (physically or verbally?) a junior?

I hope this goes to court and Arch's lawyer drags up every piece of dirt on this scumbag and completely drags him through the mud.

Probably has a domestic violence change against him or something.

Let's go to town on him. Don't * with Arch.

I absolutely love Glen Archer, probably my favourite player of all time. However, he has absolutely done the wrong thing here. You don't get involved in this type of thing in junior sport, it is wrong no matter which way you look at it.

If the boundary umpire physically touched a player, then it is up to the league and the club to penalise him. The last thing you want is a parent to jump the fence and escalate the incident further.

I absolutely love Glen Archer, probably my favourite player of all time. However, he has absolutely done the wrong thing here. You don't get involved in this type of thing in junior sport, it is wrong no matter which way you look at it.

If the boundary umpire physically touched a player, then it is up to the league and the club to penalise him. The last thing you want is a parent to jump the fence and escalate the incident further.
Yep. A conviction would see him off the board I would think. It is serious in principle. However, if Arch doesn't have any priors (he was a lad he says) then I think it may end in the diversion court. Conviction would be unlikely I should think.

By the sounds of it, did the right thing and it absolutely disgusts me how professional obligations and legal sensibility are twisting an honourable man's arm into apologising for civilised conduct.

What were the rest of the crowd doing, sitting there and watching a 47 year old get stuck into (physically or verbally?) a junior?
Never the right thing for a spectator to enter the playing arena. Never.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - first reports did say that the runner or boundary umpire (both parents) hit the kid with their forearm but that has not been mentioned since.
Mainly because that part of the story isn't really relevant any longer.

It's all focusing on the altercation with the runner now that he's been charged.

The umpire stuff has essentially been "ticked off" as all clear.

Agree totally. We are trying to stamp out this type of behaviour in the league I'm involved in.

Never the right thing for a spectator to enter the playing arena. Never.

Disagreed. If you have a fully grown man on field getting stuck into a minor (as was originally reported) then there is every moral obligation upon spectators to put a stop to it in leagues where security services are non-existent.

The League can punish people afterwards for their conduct. They do not stop the incident occurring at the time, a concept which seems to be lost upon people who have not grown up in rougher areas where this was a common occurrence.

You ever seen what a grown man can do to a child with just one strike? It's not pretty.

Last edited:
Mainly because that part of the story isn't really relevant any longer.

It's all focusing on the altercation with the runner now that he's been charged.

The umpire stuff has essentially been "ticked off" as all clear.
I think it is relevant if an adult assaulted a junior player. But not even Glenn has mentioned that since. If it gets to court I am sure the whole story will come out.

The North Melbourne Football Club is aware of an incident involving director Glenn Archer at a junior football match on the weekend.

The Club has spoken to Glenn, who has unreservedly apologised for his actions and involvement.

The North Melbourne Football Club believes that under no circumstances is it appropriate for parents or spectators to enter the field of play or get involved in on-field matters – a view reinforced by Glenn today in his public comments and in his conversations with the club.

In relation to the charge laid by Victoria Police, North Melbourne will await the outcome of further investigations in relation to events that transpired before determining any action on the matter.

I think it is relevant if an adult assaulted a junior player. But not even Glenn has mentioned that since. If it gets to court I am sure the whole story will come out.
Archer can't press charges on behalf of the kid so if the kid or their parents havent put it forward I doubt anything will happen.

Then again we don't know exactly what happened in that case, Arch may have misread the situation and thought things were more forceful than they were.

Hopefully some vision comes out to clear things up either way

Disagreed. If you have a fully grown man on field getting stuck into a minor (as was originally reported) then there is every moral obligation upon spectators to put a stop to it in leagues where security services are non-existent.

The League can punish people afterwards for their conduct. They do not stop the incident occurring at the time, a concept which seems to be lost upon people who have not grown up in rougher areas where this was a common occurrence.

You ever seen what a grown man can do to a child with just one strike? It's not pretty.
Not sure he was "getting stuck into" a player. He says that after a fight broke out between two players, the boundary umpire grabbed the Banyule player and pushed the Park Orchards player with his forearm.

While the boundary umpire was also in the wrong (he should never have touched the players), you can't deny that Archer also did the wrong thing by getting involved.

Been involved in junior footy a bit, and I can definitely see both sides. You really can't jump the fence at a juniors game, it just isn't on. But bloody hell seeing an adult hit a kid? Pretty easy to sit back and say "leave it to the authorities ". Not sure I could.

Yeah, I don't get this 'no circumstances'. There are absolutely circumstances where it is completely justifiable for spectators to intervene. They may be rare, they may be hyperbolic, but they do happen. It's just a matter of assessing whether it was the correct thing to do in this instance. If as originally reported the older umpire was getting stuck into the junior player then I have no qualms with what Glenn did. If that was not the case and it was mere words being exchanged, and then Glenn charged onto the field and escalated things, then it was the wrong thing to do.

Leagues like blanket rules because it's the best way to avoid them getting their asses sued off should something bad happen, and stamping it out as a general rule prevents the overwhelming number of incidences where it is unjustified to jump the fence. However, sometimes, spectators getting involved - and I can think of no better reason than an on-field adult assaulting a child - is completely justified and no threat of life-time ban in the world would deter a (hypothetical) father from intervening if his child was copping a belting at the hands of a fully-grown man. All it takes is one strike from an adult to a junior and the consequences can be very, very serious for the child's health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back