News North East Australian Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2001
SE Melb
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
The new second-tier league that covers the NT, Queensland, NSW and the ACT.

110128221828NorthEastAFL_Logo_CMYK_REV.png

http://www.neafl.com.au/

Players_launch_625.jpg

Northern Conference:
Aspley, Redland, Labrador, Mt Gravatt, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Broadbeach, Morningside, Southport (absent: NT Thunder)

58b8d20ca8.jpg

Eastern Conference:
Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan, Sydney, Ainslie, Eastlake, GWS, Belconnen

Must be a thing for 17-team comps this year :)
Looks good though and I'm hoping this is a success. Wish this was also on footytips.com.au!

Teams around Australia definitely need to forge their own new uniform identity/brand.

I look at the plethora of NCAA football teams, and how gridiron jerseys have much less parts to work with, and a large percentage are very unique (helmets/pants included).

We should get people here who have contacts to send an offer to all clubs in Australia that we'll redesign their jerseys for them so that they all have a unique look. Would get this board even more exposure and regulars on this board the thrill of a winning design, and even just contributing.

Part of the issue is that some of these clubs are affiliate clubs. I know that Redland is an affiliate of Essendon so they have the same jumper and logo.

A good little example of original thought is actually in the thread - have a look at Ainslie in the second pic. Not only do they wear St Kilda's stripes in reverse order (BWR not RWB), but they've also added contrasting side panels (red with white line on the black side, black with white line on the red side) and use a mainly white background.

It's traditional without being utterly slavish.

Affiliation is one thing... forgoing your identity is another.

If a club team up north wants to be called the Tigers, go for it... but don't feel compelled to wear black with a yellow sash. Look at teams called the Eagles, very few wear blue and gold, or the West Coast wings.

Haven't seen a team in Australia that has green as a dominant color. Before Giants came in, no orange as well.

I think it's something that owes it's past to the availability of jumpers.
You could pick up a VFL jumper for less than make your own, and you're buying them for every junior and senior player at a footy club.
It might be 200 jumpers.
Once the club colours are established, the supporters of the club all want it to remain the same.
My dad is involved with Maroochydore FC on the Sunshine Coast.
They merged with Northshore and adopted their North colours.
(The 2003-04 Away jumper)
When they asked former players and supporters to come back to the club a few years ago the overwhelming response was that they need to change back to the Green & Gold that Maroochydore started out as.
And similarly, clubs are reticent to change from traditional colours and designs because that's the general mentality.
What they can do is, like Ainslie, take those colours and make them their own look.

That belconnen power/magpies look sure is interesting! Does anyone have any idea what the club has worn/been called in the past.

If a club team up north wants to be called the Tigers, go for it... but don't feel compelled to wear black with a yellow sash. Look at teams called the Eagles, very few wear blue and gold, or the West Coast wings.

Interesting you bring that up, there's a team around my area that's called the Eagles yet wear the Bombers sash. Just proves that you don't need to follow the AFL's colours which is a bit bland imo.

yeah the belconnen magpies is very interesting.

they wear black white and teal, and their logo is a magpie in front of a thunderbolt.

do they think our confused identity is a selling point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting you bring that up, there's a team around my area that's called the Eagles yet wear the Bombers sash. Just proves that you don't need to follow the AFL's colours which is a bit bland imo.

Further proof of that, my junior footy team (not even sure if they're still around) were called the Eagles, but wore Melbourne's red vee on navy blue.

It's probably also worth noting that some of these clubs are old and will have the same guernseys they've worn for a long time.

Ainslie, for instance, have been wearing a red, white and black tricolour for as long as Canberra has existed. Of course, St Kilda did send them jumpers back then, though.

Eastlake Demons (with the Bombers strip) have likewise been around in one form or another since pretty much the beginning as well. They're a merger club, I think they took the colours from one and the name from the other.

Others, though, are affiliated - Tuggeranong became the Hawks because of that.

The team aspley replaced were the eagles, originally blue and white but changed to blue and gold with the eagle wings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back