News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Met Bridget Barker when she did a talk at a Father/Daughter breakfast at my daughter's school. She's one impressive young lady.
Played footy, coached 2 premierships at Melb Uni, worked with indigenous youth near Alice Springs before landing the job at The Huddle.

Apparently North have been nurturing women's AFL for years. We allowed the Melb Uni women's team to train at Arden St for 5 years when they couldn't find a venue at their own Uni. We recently extended the deal by 5 years. To clarify any confusion, when North gets its AFL Women's licence, Melb Uni would be considered our "VFL side".

Like our "No Pokies" stance I don't think our club has sold itself well enough on its efforts with female footy.
Bridget reckons we need to demonstrate the development of girls at the Tassie academy (and elsewhere) in order to secure a Women's AFL licence next year. We have most of the other things in place, including a lady who quit her law job to lead the charge.

And and yes, I want North to have its own VFL men's team too.
Is her nickname Big Bad Bridget Barker?

Im glad we dont have a womens team yet. I think we have enough work in front of us with our mens team to be spending time and money as an organisation on a womens team.

Im all for one in the future but am not disappointed we dont have on in the inaugural seasons

All for a Womens team, we need it, but not straight away. Need to work on the right 2nds model/development 1st. Then we'll be ready for the AFL Womens comp.

The Horse is bolting.
Sponsors already jumping on board.
We will be left picking up the clods of earth and sh1t in the main straight.
Need licence next year.

It will take the AFL atleast 3 to 4 years to bed it down. Sponsors will come and go until then. Need a strong club across the board before bolting on a Womens team.

It will take the AFL atleast 3 to 4 years to bed it down. Sponsors will come and go until then. Need a strong club across the board before bolting on a Womens team.
I heard Susan Galimberti on TV the other night and she said the Bulldogs have already gained three new sponsors just for their women's team (never sponsored footy before). Anybody who thinks we should hold off doesn't understand the revolution which is happening.

I heard Susan Galimberti on TV the other night and she said the Bulldogs have already gained three new sponsors just for their women's team (never sponsored footy before). Anybody who thinks we should hold off doesn't understand the revolution which is happening.
Understand, but the Digs also have a stand alone 2nds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understand, but the Digs also have a stand alone 2nds.

I would see Hawthorn as at least as good a model as the bulldogs and Hawthorn are going very nicely without their own stand alone seconds- it's not a magic solution as Richmond are demonstrating. There is no reason why we have to choose between having a women's team and having seconds. Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time and there is no reason why establishing a women's team would stop us having a seconds team, if in fact having a seconds team is part of our strategy (our referring to the NMFC not Big Footy).

The AFL, the Government, they are both currently pumping a huge amounts of money in grass roots girls footy.

It's coming, we've been working at it already, we need to keep pushing.

We need to straighten out our relationship with Werribee.

It's both not either or.

The Horse is bolting.
Sponsors already jumping on board.
We will be left picking up the clods of earth and sh1t in the main straight.
Need licence next year.

I know this is close to your heart but we gave it a good shot for admission in year one.

Carlton and collingwood got in just coz, interstate franchises equally so and dogs and Dees were rewarded for the always observed afl principle of 'first to market'.

We were always getting screwed.

North must get a Women's AFL licence next year. I couldn't stand seeing Majak's sister running around for Collingwood in a couple of years.

"Majak Daw was just awarded Mark of the Year and now his younger sister, Mary Daw, is aiming to reach the same lofty heights.

This week the 14-year-old put her skills on display at the AFL Female Diversity Championships in Shepparton, along with 200 other young girls from multicultural backgrounds.

"There's a lot of new opportunities for girls in the AFL, and that really gets me excited," Mary told The Age.

Mary said the establishment of the national AFL women's league this year has made her dream of becoming a football star a reality.

"It gets me happy that I get to be part of this great opportunity and do what I love. I think I'm going to play AFL in the future."

Mary’s talents are already well known after she played in the inaugural Victorian All-Nations representative team.

"To think I could make it to a level like my brother's level, that really inspires me, because he's an AFL player and one day maybe I could be one."

Majak admits being blown away by his little sister’s skills.

"Seeing her play footy, I was a little bit shocked at how good her technique was," he said.

Her coach, former AFL player, David Rodan, agrees the sky is the limit for Mary.

"She's an explosive player," he said.

"She's picked it up very quickly. If she continues to stay in the game and play footy, I can't see why she can't play at the highest level."

For Mary and her family, football is more than just a game. She said how it helped her family integrate into the community, since arriving in Australia from South Sudan and Egypt.

"It gets us familiar with life in Australia compared to life in South Sudan,” she explained.

"It opens new opportunities for us.

"Instead of thinking of negative things, like going out and partying all day and not doing anything, we can put that energy into things that are positive, like footy."

We are still a significant women's talent contributor through our link with MUWFC and the Tassie academy will be developing women as well.

Between Darebin and MUWFC they expect 25 of the 44 players that played in the VFL women's grand final to feature prominently in the AFL's women's league draft.

While the other clubs are fielding teams, most don't help in any way to produce the talent. MUWFC is the largest women's football club in the country with over 150 registered players and officials and fielding 6 teams. It is imperative that we solidify our relationship with MUWFC and strengthen the ties, play a larger role in development and creating a highly professional community for women in football.

It will pay dividends when we get our own side and it should just be seen as the eventual extension of our commitment to women's football, which I personally believe is a wonderful development that we should push aggressively.

+$13m in Debt.

So now instead of one team collapsing under the weight of their own debt it will be 3.

flogging-a-dead-horse.jpg

Exactly.

Thought you might have a different tune by now.

I don't like the dogs.

They've been given s**t we haven't, allowed to have debt levels we haven't.

There's no speculation that their going to be shipped anywhere.

But no no, bump my posts outlining that all that shimmers ain't gold.

They wanted to take advantage of pensioners and it went **** up and they got bailed out.

We had a s**t stadium deal and the afl tried to kill us.

All hail the dogs. Everyone's second team can GAGF.

I don't like the dogs.

They've been given s**t we haven't, allowed to have debt levels we haven't.

There's no speculation that their going to be shipped anywhere.

But no no, bump my posts outlining that all that shimmers ain't gold.

They wanted to take advantage of pensioners and it went **** up and they got bailed out.

We had a s**t stadium deal and the afl tried to kill us.

All hail the dogs. Everyone's second team can GAGF.
Is that you Nate7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back