Unofficial Preview North v St Kilda, round 1, 2020 (TODAY)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah none of this play Macmillan cos we have no other options without Marley business, a cone would be just as useful

B: McDonald Tarrant Daw
HB: Pittard Walker Atley
C: Polec Simpkin Dumont
HF: Ziebell Larkey Garner
F: Zurhaar Brown Taylor
R: Goldy Higgins Cunners
I: Jed Ahern Thomas Bonar

emg Hall Macmillan Mahony Hosie
Anderson v hall should be a discussion point

Ones tough but butchers the ball

the other is softer but has good speed and skills

I’d go Hall now actually when considering the oppositions strengths and what we lack

I do some work in education and there is a lot of discussion around full school closures. Not sure how closing out a footy game does much considering 1000's of people will rub shoulders at shopping centres over that same time period.

It doesn't by itself - and yes there is an argument for limiting or at least encouraging controls around how people shop as well. There's also a big difference between recreational events and buying food / essentials.

Everything I've seen and read indicates that limiting the speed of the spread of this virus will be a key factor in attempting to keep this under control. The key is to keep the number of high level / intensive unit admissions at a level that we can attempt to cope with from a health system POV. It's not about preventing the population getting this virus - we will all pretty much be exposed by end of the year, it's about slowing that spread so that we have the resources to actually help people in acute care.

I’d go Hall now actually when considering the oppositions strengths and what we lack
Anderson won contests or made decisions that directly led to three goals including two of our first three and kicked one himself to put the game beyond doubt.

If you chosen Hall over him in this game wed have lost by 2 goals.

Last edited:
I do some work in education and there is a lot of discussion around full school closures. Not sure how closing out a footy game does much considering 1000's of people will rub shoulders at shopping centres over that same time period.
I don't want to go into too much detail, but in the early 90's, I went to the G for a match against Collingwood with a mate from work who wasn't a member, so I joined him in the area somewhere towards the goals up the pun road-ish end. It was packed, and some b*stard behind me was sneezing clouds of who-knows-what all over me. I ended up crook within a day, and it developed into some kind of viral pneumonia. I ended up with pleurisy as well - and in the end it nearly did me in. I was too sick for work within about 2 days, and even after a month or six weeks on sick leave, I was coughing for months afterwards.

I'm trying to say, this s**t can get serious - and fast.

Worst thing is, I lost about 40% lung capacity, and have had pneumonia now about six times since.

On the bright side, I gave up smoking and I also missed a certain game late in September a few years later, prior to 1999.

Last edited:

Based on the Sydney game I would have Hall ahead of several in your 22. Don't think it comes down to Hall versus Jed as I would have both in the team. Hall's class stood out for me. I think it comes down to which three of Garner, Zurhaar, Bonar, and Ahern do you play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the Sydney game I would have Hall ahead of several in your 22. Don't think it comes down to Hall versus Jed as I would have both in the team. Hall's class stood out for me. I think it comes down to which three of Garner, Zurhaar, Bonar, and Ahern do you play.
Zurhaar is a lock always
Garner is too good to leave out when fit which is rare And especially with Turner out
Bonar offers more than Anderson with ball in hand. To me he is a younger more skilled Anderson with pace. A younger upgrade if you will

maybe I just don’t rate Anderson that highly and his ball use is a huge put off and demoraliser

I'll answer my own question.

Here is Bigeasy 's preferred team with career goals in brackets.

[Not picking on bigeasy, just chose the first team from a username I know, and apart from Xerri might actually be close to final team]

HF Jack (162) Larkey (26) Thomas (16)
F: Taylor (0) Xerri (0) Zurhaar (30)

Others: Garner (29) Wood (73) Turner (53) Hall (80)

I would be genuinely surprised if there is a weaker forwardline in the entire competition than North w/o Brown.

You can say 'oh but Thomas is going to be a star', okay fine, probably will, but Jack's 162 are well and truly behind him.

Seriously look at those stats. They are truly abysmal.

We lost Petrie and Harvey at the end of 2016, Thomas at the end of 2017, and Waite at the end of 2018.

Who has come through in that time?

I'm a fan of Larkey, obviously TT looks a good prospect... and other than that?

What? What have we got coming through?

Daw is a defender now,
Woods is on borrowed time,
Turner is a poor man's modern small forward,
the less said about the skipper, the better (other than he ain't getting any younger)
Garner is the golden goose that never seems to lay any eggs...

giphy.gif

Wtf happened here?

Can we really blame Brads Scottss for this? Trust me, I want to, but it doesn't seem fair imho.

Am I the only one not even phased by Brown not playing Round 1?

The forward line is our strongest asset, I think we'll be fine if the boys are actually switched on, if Curtis Taylor alone plays like he has been lately he'll deliver some excellent entries to Larkey deep inside 50.
Probably.

Without a fit Brown, we don't win this. Larkey as the sole "experienced" tall forward isn't going to get the 4 points for us. And we know that our small forwards are not our strong suit.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Shaw may get desperate and throw a Daw or Walker forward to mix it up. But I doubt it as I reckon they'll have their hands full down back trying to stop goals being kicked against us.

Zurhaar is a lock always
Garner is too good to leave out when fit which is rare And especially with Turner out
Bonar offers more than Anderson with ball in hand. To me he is a younger more skilled Anderson with pace. A younger upgrade if you will

maybe I just don’t rate Anderson that highly and his ball use is a huge put off and demoraliser

Most likely. We all know you can be a bit of an idiot.

Zurhaar is a lock always

So you are judging Zurhaar and Garner by different standards? They have both stunk it up preseason and Garner's ball use is at best no better than Jed's. Bonar looks very promising and Ahern's ball use, if he can find space, is very good but did either of them have a better season than Jed?

I suspect that when the team for the Saints is named Jed's name will be in the 22.

A gutsy footballer, but I will be staggered if he plays with an injury like this.

View attachment 836695

Not immediately North related but can be applied to Jack Ziebell too - there are many reasons why certain players are captains and leaders and why others aren't.

Geary is far from the most gifted player on their list but it's that mentality and a willingness to be "the man" that earns him his role, just as it does for Jack.

Is someone prepared to watch a replay of that game and point out every instance where Jeds ball use was shithouse?

Cos I just watched a replay of the first quarter and it wasn't. Some of it was brilliant.

Then again Macmilan was alright too, at least one of Atley's turnovers came from poor contesting by his target and some of Jack's early work in close around the pack was sublime.

Is someone prepared to watch a replay of that game and point out every instance where Jeds ball use was shithouse?

Cos I just watched a replay of the first quarter and it wasn't. Some of it was brilliant.

Then again Macmilan was alright too, at least one of Atley's turnovers came from poor contesting by his target and some of Jack's early work in close around the pack was sublime.
i think it was more first touch fumbles, so not necessarily s**t house, because some of the fumbles still were followed by effective disposal but could have been cleaner, and then others he lost touch of the ball. Still getting in there and making the ball his so I don't see it as that bad.

Hard line Supercoacher's have no time for cause. You need to only focus upon effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back