Not to steal STL's thunder, but I got this via e-mail today

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 2, 2001
Melbourne (Sainters)
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't know why they have started sending this to members now, or why I haven't received it before, but here it is for those who haven't got it.

MEMBERS ONLY . . . MEMBERS ONLY . . . MEMBERS ONLY . . .

St Kilda Saints - Update & Review
Monday 9 July 2001

AFL Review - Round 14
St Kilda 9.8.62 v Brisbane 17.17.119

A tough assignment against the in-form Lions at the Gabba. The coaching staff decided to take a few chances by playing some youngsters and experimenting with team structure such as Max Hudghton across half forward. The second quarter exposed our lack of personnel in the midfield as Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis and Nigel Lappin began to get on top. The Lions amassed an astonishing 177 possessions to 109 in the first half of football, giving their forwards plenty of opportunities against the Saints defence.

To the credit of our players they were able to come out after half time and compete at ground level. The ability to win the football first, as occurred in the 2nd half, meant that our forward line was able to see more of the football. Barry Hall began to use his body better in the marking contests and converted truly for his 3 goals, whilst Craig Callaghan again proved himself to be a dangerous player up forward with 4 goals. The second half possessions were - St Kilda 160 to Brisbane 150 - a remarkable turnaround.

Despite the Lions pounding our forward line in the last quarter our defenders led by youngsters Caydn Beetham, Daniel Wulf & Justin Koschitzke held up well under extreme pressure with only 3 goals scored by Brisbane.

The coaching staff were pleased with the efforts of Steven Baker (23 possessions) who had the difficult task of curbing Brisbane on-baller Simon Black. Not only did he restrict Black to 8 possessions in the first half but he was able to win the football in tight himself & show some application that was lacking in some other Saints in the first half. Caydn Beetham has made some significant steps in his use of the football. There has never been any question mark on his enormous ability at such a young age to burst through pack situations, but for the first time on Saturday night he was able to show some poise in his disposal of the ball. Wulf against Bradshaw) & Koschitzke (against J.Brown & Notting) were given difficult assignments but stuck to their tasks and will benefit enormously from the experience.

As mentioned in the after-match press conference by Malcolm Blight, the club will continue to play the younger players & those performing for Springvale in the VFL which will give opportunities over the next few weeks for other players to put their hand up to be listed for season 2002.

Justin Koschitske was this morning nominated as this weeks AFL Ansett Rising Star. Kosi follows Caydn Beetham and James Begley as 2001 nominees. Justin's nomination is the forth such nomination by a St Kilda player in the past 20 weeks with Brett Moyle a late season nomination in 2000. I am sure you all agree this augurs well for the future.

VFL Review - Round 13
Springvale 12.14.86 v Northern Bullants 14.7.91

A shock loss by the Springvale team yesterday against 2nd last placed Northern Bullants. There were some real positives however with the form of the St Kilda players far outshining that of the Springvale regulars. This has not always been the case for most of the season.

The most pleasing aspect from a St Kilda point of view was the terrific performances of Nick Riewoldt and Jason Cripps. Riewoldt, playing only his 1st Senior VFL game, was dominant across half forward/wing with 7 marks in the first quarter. He began to tire as the game progressed but still finished with the impressive figures of 21 possessions, 14 marks and one long goal. Jason Cripps continued his comeback from a long-term injury with 32 possessions. He played mainly across half forward with more time in the midfield than has been the case previously. He is improving his composure, touch & running capacity with every hit-out, and is certainly putting his name up for inclusion in the Saints line up.

Other good contributors were Brett Knowles (22 touches & 3 goals), Matthew Young (28 possessions across half back), Troy Schwarze (CHB - 18 poss, 8 marks) and Jason Blake (14 possessions). Chris Oliver battled hard in the ruck but wasn't as effective as he has been, whilst Jason Traianidis needed the hit-out and will be a much improved player next week. Tony Delaney (19 possessions) again won the football well but needs to improve on his decision-making & disposal for him to regularly play at the next level.

In the Springvale Reserves game, rookies Mark Wittison & Justin Berry contributed very well in the forward line whilst Ben Walton was outstanding in the midfield. His tackling, smothering and ability to win the football, despite knee soreness, was the main factor behind the team recording a surprise victory. His two goals in the last quarter, one from 75 metres with the wind, sealed the match.

Brian Waldron
General Manager, Football Operations

Injury Update:
L. Hayes - season (shoulder)
R. Harvey - season (knee)
N. Burke - season (knee)
B. Moyle - 4 weeks (fractured fibula)
S. Loewe - 3 weeks (knee)
S. Lawrence - indefinite (back-related hamstring)

Thanks appreciate that, loved reading it.

Possible outs this week-
Peckett (no heart, 10 year old disappointment)
Hudghton (no skills. no confidence, Malcolm it seems is losing patience too)
Voss (maybe needs a full game in the 2nds, has been disappointing of late, but WILL get back on track)
Capuano (I would give him another week)
Davis (but I dont think he was given any kind of go, correct?)
Elliot (piss off Tim, you're useless)
Gale (thin ice)

Try some of the following instead:
Riewoldt (maybe 1 more week at VFL level)
Plapp (he'd be fit for this week I'm guessing?)
Cripps (may have lost a yard in pace (Possibly), but has heart, toughness & the passion)
Young (fine form, a chronic disappointment but just to mix things up try him for another week)
Blake (much better option than Gale as a key defender)
Knowles (try's, never gets a fair go, uses the ball well)
Schwarze (been in good form, got youth on his side).

I know that's mixing things up, but maybe that needs to happen to get some sort of team balance!

Amazingly it seems Damien Ryan had a blinder, wouldn't have picked that for a million years!

Thanks HTBS!

I was beginning to think that the AFL were under the impression that Justin Koschitzke was a 28 year old, 10 year veteran. It is the only possible reason I could come up for him not being nominated for the rising star award before now. Forget about stats, this is an 18 year old holding down the toughest position of the ground, Centre Half Back.

Congratulations to Justin. The fact that Moyle was nominated in Round 22 last year and Beetham, Begley and Koschitzke have nominated this year says that in terms of developing our youngsters we are on the right track.

We have all had high hopes for Nick Riewoldt but I still can't believe that an 18 year old, playing only his second game in 10 months and making his senior debut for Springvale can have 21 possessions, 14 marks and one long goal. Chris Oliver is another very promising youngster.

Amazing to see only St Kilda listed players in the best players for Springvale the week after our club complained to Springvale about the lack of game time for some of our players. It wouldn't surprise me if Walton is selected to play for us on the weekend, directly from the Springvale reserves.

I agree Savatage, there is no need to rush Riewoldt into the side immediately. But if it does happen, it would be exciting. Like you said in the other thread about Cripps' inclusion getting a few more of our supporters through the gate, the debut of Riewoldt would do the same.

Oh well, I'm a little more positive than I was 48 hours ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back