NSW Scholarship Holder - Craig Moller

Remove this Banner Ad

Statistically the best ruckman on the ground vs. Tassie.

20 hitouts, 5 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 0 goals.

Very impressive for a 16 year old versus a majority of players a year older than him. Waiting for the match report to see if he's named in the bests for NSW.

He didn't, but some guys with 7 possies got in... work that one out.

At junior level, it's always nepotism.

3 of his 5 kicks were turnovers, 8 of his 10 handballs went directly to contests, and he directly set up 3 FA for his side by hand balling or tapping the ball to players that were called for HTB.

To Bradey, the guy that had 7 kicks (more than 7 possies) had a dramatic effect on the game, his 7 kicks all created goals, and he had 0 turnovers. Unlike Craig. Noting that though, I'm very excited and happy with Mo's run - he'll be even better next year!! Or maybe even next game??

NOTE: - he was still very good, just please, please don't pump him up because of the raw stats, and also lets get him across to at least WAFL or SANFL colts standard, the games he is in just don't develop his placement, off the ball running or contested possession judgment at all. He is very, very committed though - and by crikey I'd love it if we could keep him out of the clutches of Sheedy and GWS!!!

:thumbsu:I got to watch a lot of the U18 Champs and TAC Cup in the last 8 weeks or so. Moller played in all games, 3 TAC and 5 National Champs. He was fairly consistent to good and should have been in the best a few times. As seen on other posts he needs to put on weight but looks a real prospect. He has time on his side and a few more years in the gym will achieve this.
Took a contested mark yesterday and got smashed. Received a fifty metre penalty that he handballed off and resulted in a goal. He then went off coughing up blood but returned later in the second quarter to play out the game.
Very good in the air but the standout point to me was how good he was below the knees and his quick handballs. He positions well around the ground and has good vision. Still only sixteen.
Also got to see Thomas Head. He played 2 TAC games and 3 National champ games. He played mostly across half forward. He has a good long kick but needs more accuracy around goal. He leads up well and takes chest marks. Needs to work on his overhead marks. He is a good size but not as advanced as Moller. He turned 17 during the carnival.:D

Played in the top division on the weekend in Sydney for Sydney University where Adam Campbell is currently playing. Was named 4th best on ground for his team. Kicked 1 goal.

The week before he played against the NSW Bulldogs and was named 6th BOG for his team. Kicked 0 goals.

A fortnight ago played in a draw against the East Coast Eagles. Named 2nd BOG for his team. Kicked 1 goal.

In the 6 games he's played this year for his senior team he's been named in the best players 5/6 times. Though never named BOG, only 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th and unnamed.

Aside from that he's played 3 games in TAC cup when NSW/ACT Rams visit Victoria. He was named BOG for his team in one game where he kicked 5 goals. Then in the remaining 2 games was not named amongst the best players.

He's played 3 games for Sydney University at under 18 level and been named in the best players twice. One named 1st and one named 2nd.

He also played several games at under 18 level representing NSW. From memory he was not named in the best players in any of the games.

This kid is a real talent and will probably be offered a place on the senior list in the 2012 draft. Provided we can keep sheedy's dirty paws off him.

Does anyone know what the deal is with GWS and NSW scholarship holders?

I'm pretty sure that Collingwood will get Jarrod Witts next yr but does that still mean that we automatically get Moller and if GWS take Moller off us do we get any compensation?

Pretty sure the scholarship holder has the option of going to the club who has signed them or entering the national draft. If Moller decides to stay with Freo it uses up our last pick in the draft. I think that's how it works anyway. Knowing the AFL and there is probably some way around the system if GWS really want him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure the scholarship holder has the option of going to the club who has signed them or entering the national draft. If Moller decides to stay with Freo it uses up our last pick in the draft. I think that's how it works anyway. Knowing the AFL and there is probably some way around the system if GWS really want him.

It's the clubs choice where they go

FAQ for the NSW scholarship program

Under the scholarship program your sponsor club has the explicit right to have first choice, once your son has met age eligibility requirements, to primary list or rookie list your son and, as such, if selected, your son would be required to go to the sponsor club, if he wished to play in the AFL competition.

Much quieter end to the year.

Round 20 vs Illawarra. ~80 point victory to the club.
0 goals, not named in best players.

Round 1 Finals. Qualifying Final vs. Balmain. (Loss)
0 goals, not named in best players.

Round 2 Finals. vs. North Shore (Win)
2 goals, not named in best players.

Round 3 Finals. vs. Balmain (Loss)
1 goal, not named in best players.

Queensland finals system:

Round 1
Top team gets round 1 rest. (East Coast)
2nd vs. 3rd (Qualifying Final) Balmain vs. Sydney Uni
4th vs. 5th (Elimination Final)

Round 2
1st vs. Winner of 2 vs 3 (Balmain) --> Straight to GF (Round 4)
Winner of 4 vs 5 (North Shore) vs. Loser of 2 vs 3 (Sydney Uni)

Round 3
Balmain vs. Sydney Uni (Balmain lost to East Coast in round 2)

Round 4
Balmain vs. East Coast (GF) --> Winner East Coast.

Our other youngster Head plays for Balmain. He didn't play after round 1 of finals. Not sure why.

It's the clubs choice where they go

FAQ for the NSW scholarship program

Mind you that information is from 2008 so the situation might have changed given GWS is up and running and the scholarship program is coming to an end. Also Moller is currently training with GWS so wouldn't think that would be happening unless they could get him.

Cheers for the link.

After the hands in the back v forearm in the back rule interpretation - anything is possible.

Mind you that information is from 2008 so the situation might have changed given GWS is up and running and the scholarship program is coming to an end. Also Moller is currently training with GWS so wouldn't think that would be happening unless they could get him.

This looks like a possible out clause;

12. What if my son wishes to pull out of the program?
If a player on a scholarship elects to pull out of the program at any stage the player can do so and the scholarship is null and void immediately. Any future financial support will be terminated. However depending on the circumstances of the player leaving the program there may be restrictions placed on him entering into future National and Rookie drafts.

He can bail at "any stage" with undefined consequences.

If a player on a scholarship elects to pull out of the program at any stage the player can do so and the scholarship is null and void immediately. Any future financial support will be terminated. However depending on the circumstances of the player leaving the program, the AFL will bend the rules to allow the player to be recruited by GWS/GC but he can not enter into future National and Rookie drafts.

EFA... This is what they meant to say!

If a player on a scholarship elects to pull out of the program at any stage the player can do so and the scholarship is null and void immediately. Any future financial support will be terminated. However depending on the circumstances of the player leaving the program there may be restrictions placed on him entering into future National and Rookie drafts.

That just leaves the question if he was to bail can gws just get him as a zone selection.

Mind you situation could be that lyon's just doesn't see a need for him so gws is just having a close look at him.

That just leaves the question if he was to bail can gws just get him as a zone selection.

Mind you situation could be that lyon's just doesn't see a need for him so gws is just having a close look at him.

Who knows? But I would think that the only conclusion that could be drawn from pulling out of the program is that you no longer want to play professional footy and therefore would be excluded from the draft. That's not to say that GWS may or may not be interested in him. With their amount of concessons still left over to them they may be confident of secruing a trade for the rights to him.

Lyon loves big men so can't see that, and anyway our recruiting department and Lyon are not the same thing. And given that involves selection number nothing-in-particular, if he has some potential he would be signed up for sure.

If he was to withdraw from the program, I would hope that the afl would investigate the issues, and if they sensed that it was for something as whimsical as "I want to play for GWS", then they would impose strong sanctions to prevent it.

Realistically the way Turnbridge was released with nothing at all regarding consequences, and GWS given zero compensation, I cannot imagine they would come down hard at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back