Club History Obscure Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember my uncle telling me about Tony Antrobus.

Comes over from SA on the back of a Magarey medal and everyone was talking him up as the best thing since sliced bread, did very little.

Also had tattoos before it was cool

Ant_zpsde4cf78f.jpg

:D

Unfortunately, Antrobus couldn't cut the mustard in the VFL. Plain was a good player who should have played more footy. Hardwick is a much better player than Prior. Prior was a typical WA player of that time - Very smooth and good on the outside.

Ha, brad plain. Timmy was my idol growing up, but I used to run around pretending to be Plain because I had a long sleeve guernsey.

Sam Hunt

Lol, Sam Hunt. He was Luke Davis even before Luke Davis was Luke Davis

images (25).jpg

Not so legend crowd favourite...

Last edited:
Yeah Plain is not obscure, i loved that guy.
Watch him casually kick 8 against the swans...

I reckon that Plain gets much more to the heart of being an "obscure bomber" than just naming some guy who was never good enough to get a game.

Had talent and proved it at the highest level, probably had as many flaws, and then moved on after an all too short stint with the bombers.

Plain played State of Origin footy for Victoria in 1991 (despite being Tasmanian)....could seriously play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it obscure that Rene Kink had a crack at a premiership with us in 83...

Made me think just how "out there" the recruitment of Mal Michael was.

Retired while under contract was brought back into a side already containing Fletcher and Ryder in defence probably with the aim of making midfield look quicker.

Made me think just how "out there" the recruitment of Mal Michael was.

Retired while under contract was brought back into a side already containing Fletcher and Ryder in defence probably with the aim of making midfield look quicker.
Was brought in to ensure that Fletch remained an attacking weapon rather than playing lock-down. But, yes, obscure. Just like Mark Eustice. I wonder if he's beaten the drugs scourge or not?

Never understood why Peter Cransberg didn't get more games. Perenially in the reserves, but when called upon always seemed to play well, whether it be in the backline or up forward. Although he seemed to be on our list for a very long time, so maybe racked up a fair few games by retirement.

Never understood why Peter Cransberg didn't get more games. Perenially in the reserves, but when called upon always seemed to play well, whether it be in the backline or up forward. Although he seemed to be on our list for a very long time, so maybe racked up a fair few games by retirement.
79 games in eight seasons, from 1990-97.

Young v Calthorpe is what I remember hearing.

Mano e Mano. Loser out of the club.

Although, I was sure Calthorpe was the loser, not Young.

Yep, i think that affair happened between 97 and 98. Hence why barry young played so little in 97 and only like 3 games in 98. The rumor was that calthorpe and young would have a fight and the winner stayed, and the loser left. Im not surprised Young beat Calthorpe, he would of smashed him. Im more surprised that a guy that looked like a stocky danny de vitto was a ladies man but i guess thats the 90s for you :)

Barry young left after 99 because he wanted a bit more money but the club didnt want to pay that. I think it was an extra 50k or something. He went to Hawthorne and he played poorly in the beginning but later pulled his finger out. It was too late and he was delisted at the end of the year. Reading a news article around that time when they interviewed young i remember Barry saying that the reason as to why he was so poor at Hawthorne was because he was so upset at leaving the bombers (who every one knew was on the edge of greatness) to Hawthorne who were rubbish in the 90's. I really whish there was a way they could make Young stay another year. He really did love the bombers.

Would you guys say Dean Wallis was a obscure player?

Only managed to play 127 games in like 14 years. Was only good for two seasons. Perhaps some say he was at fault as to why we lost in the 99 prelim. Before 99 was famous just for knocking out Mil Hanna?

I still love him. I wish he played with his 1999-2000 form when he first started though....

Just some quick names from a wiki list I've stumbled across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Essendon_Football_Club_players;

80's - (may be a bit far back for some)

Wayne Otway
Chris Waterson
Wayne Beddison
Cameron Clayton
Peter Bradbury
Trevor Spencer
Andrew Underwood

90's

Peter Filandia
Glenn Kilpatrick
Tony Delaney
Daniel McAlister
Peter Berbakov
Julian Kirzner

Of the above 1980s list, Peter Bradbury would be pretty widely remembered you'd think- he played in the 1984 premiership side.

But his career was quite short, he started late and he also petered out at Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back