Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

I may be stretching the thread premise here namely the remember part, but anyone remember Troy Corbett who played for Victoria in the mid 90s? Played 8 list a games and took 18 wickets at 10.94 but was never seen again after that. Played a game for Victoria in shorts apparently. I was reading a book that said he was a chucker. Can anyone confirm?

I may be stretching the thread premise here namely the remember part, but anyone remember Troy Corbett who played for Victoria in the mid 90s? Played 8 list a games and took 18 wickets at 10.94 but was never seen again after that. Played a game for Victoria in shorts apparently. I was reading a book that said he was a chucker. Can anyone confirm?
The vics played a domestic one dayer in shorts - it didn't catch on - I can't remember him being called as a chucker.

I remember a one dayer where Paul Wilson bowled the redbacks to victory over the NZ team in 98/99, the meantion of Spearman reminded me. Add to that Roger Twose, Dion Nash and Chris Drum
Edit... I found the scorecard
63cca2c71f9b6e2c28e3c09d85e0bb43.jpg

That List A record is ridiculous, even if it is only just a handful of games. Economy rate of 2.79! Must have been sending down absolute hand grenades.

Would have been only 24 years old when he played his last First Class game. What happened?

So he's a former shield player from WA now sports reporter in Adelaide. In ten years he'll be hosting the footy show, running a football club and a member of Brad McNamara's gang of idiots.

Didn't he spend a year or two in the Bushrangers' squad, too?

That's another direction we could take this thread in - obscure players who've played for or been in the squad for multiple states.

He was never called for chucking, but it was around that time when a few players bowling actions were coming under scrutiny, and his was one of them. Only played district cricket for a couple of years afterwards too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have been only 24 years old when he played his last First Class game. What happened?
According to someone in the know on another forum he suffered massive back issues.

Shame, because from what he said he could've been a real talent. Fast, built like a brick shithouse, etc.

Add me to the list of Theo Doropolous fans.

As a player definitely one of the much maligned 'bitser' limited over all-rounders (at domestic level, was a beast in grade), but his work in the/social media has always been very entertaining. He was commentating on the shield stream for a while there as well.

Mick Lewis of 0/113 fame in the 438 game comes to mind, although looking at his record I didn't know he played over 80 FC games, which I suppose doesnt make him that obscure

Bowled Graeme Gooch in a tour game, which led to Gooch realising it was all over for him. Muttering 'F****** Ronnie Corbett', as he was taking the pads off in the dressing room. As read in the Mike Gatting autobiography.

hey mate,was it gatting who got hit in the face with the ball?
and the reporter asked him,where the ball hit him?
sure it was gatting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back