AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

Surely after the season she is currently having Riddell will be first North Melbourne re-sign at the end of the season.
It would be better to have signed her for two years immediately before this season she's having, which is what North Melbourne did. But she can still leave mid-contract as an expansion free agent.

On the topic of list size: 2 or 3 long term injuries to mid-tier and/or fringe players has no impact on a team's competitiveness. On the other hand, 2 or 3 long term injuries to key players is crippling to a team's competitiveness, and that is not going to be overcome by having a squad of 35 rather than 30.

The reason to increase list size is not for the sake of clubs but for the sake of train-on players who currently put in all the hard yards during the week with no guarantee of ever being paid accordingly.

The Hawks have kicked off the expansion list build process.
Great signing. Her improvement this year has been remarkable. I'm curious as to whether she counts as a VFL signing or a junior one.

Hopefully Jaide Anthony follows at some point. Led the Hawks in disposals this past weekend while on bye from the Stingrays. I just can't see how she wouldn't be good enough for an 18-team league.

I'm curious as to whether she counts as a VFL signing or a junior one.
She was old enough to nominate for the 2021 AFLW Draft, so she'd have to be an open-age signing.

I know some people weren't able to access the full article, but I've got some mad hacking skills, so here are the takeaways.

Players mentioned in this earlier post
Madison Prespakis: "Essendon are firmly in the hunt"
Georgie Prespakis: "less likely than Madison to join Essendon"
Jaimee Lambert and Rebecca Beeson: "subject of interest from Hawthorn"
Charlie Rowbottom: "expected to stay at Gold Coast"

New names on the target board
Sarah Rowe: "one of the Swans' key targets and is seriously considering a move to Sydney"
Zoe Prowse and Nikki Gore: "tipped by one rival club to head to the Power"

Expansion rules
Adding to the recent talk about "a points system that rates players’ values will be used to ensure clubs are not hit disproportionately". I'll believe it when I see it, considering the way it was canned in 2018 (though that proposal was admittedly different, because it was based on mandatory forfeiture of players).

Season timing
"There is an industry push for the start of the season to move to as early as September". Neat way of phrasing it. I think there are barely two people in the industry who agree on when it should start, how long it should be, etc.

Considering the rejuvenation of Taylor Harris at Melbourne, who only has a one year contract there, does the AFL cough up the marketing dollars...

for a Tayla Harris* move to Sydney?

Capper, Plugger, Bazza and Buddy, Sydney has a history of marketable Full Forwards on the Men's side of the game; do they repeat the formula (with AFL assistance) on the Women's side.

*Pending enough $$$ to not want to box, or if there's a suitable fight market/opponents for her boxing in Sydney.

I know some people weren't able to access the full article, but I've got some mad hacking skills, so here are the takeaways.

Sarah Rowe: "one of the Swans' key targets and is seriously considering a move to Sydney"

Expansion rules
Adding to the recent talk about "a points system that rates players’ values will be used to ensure clubs are not hit disproportionately". I'll believe it when I see it, considering the way it was canned in 2018 (though that proposal was admittedly different, because it was based on mandatory forfeiture of players).

Season timing
"There is an industry push for the start of the season to move to as early as September". Neat way of phrasing it. I think there are barely two people in the industry who agree on when it should start, how long it should be, etc.

Expansion rules

Season timing
Yep, Charlie is not going anywhere bar to and from her home to the Austworld Centre.

I would like to see the season start in September

Expansion rules

Season timing
Thanks for posting and the hacking skills. Can only comment on SA based players given what I know.

I notice they mention Gore and Prowse as targets. I would guess this on basis of Gore being dropped to SANFLW this year and Prowse yet to debut.

I do recall Hatchard being a strong PAFC supporter. Could she be persuaded with a big contract and a chance to return to the team she follows.

Given the women are not full time yet, you would think some could be persuaded with a big contract Even if happy at their current team.

I do recall Hatchard being a strong PAFC supporter. Could she be persuaded with a big contract and a chance to return to the team she follows.
In addition to being a Port supporter, I don't believe Adelaide have her among their top 3 (unless one of Randall, Allan or Marinoff* leave first), meaning they won't come close to matching an offer from an expansion team. But other than that, there's not much to go on with Hatchard.

*Marinoff's situation seems to be the most erratic: The reports of her considering a move to St Kilda but ultimately staying is reminiscent of Dana Hooker a few years ago (thought about going to the Dogs, instead stayed at Freo one more season before joining West Coast's inaugural team); Wasn't initially in the leadership group this year (but Eloise Jones was), then got added later; Grew up supporting the Crows, but also Port Adelaide sorta??

In addition to being a Port supporter, I don't believe Adelaide have her among their top 3 (unless one of Randall, Allan or Marinoff* leave first), meaning they won't come close to matching an offer from an expansion team. But other than that, there's not much to go on with Hatchard.

*Marinoff's situation seems to be the most erratic: The reports of her considering a move to St Kilda but ultimately staying is reminiscent of Dana Hooker a few years ago (thought about going to the Dogs, instead stayed at Freo one more season before joining West Coast's inaugural team); Wasn't initially in the leadership group this year (but Eloise Jones was), then got added later; Grew up supporting the Crows, but also Port Adelaide sorta??
Interesting point about Marinoff that you bring up. Does sound as if she has tested the water in the past.

I do wonder if the relatively poor results of other expansion teams over the past few years will act as a reason not to move clubs for some players.

Interesting point about Marinoff that you bring up. Does sound as if she has tested the water in the past.

I do wonder if the relatively poor results of other expansion teams over the past few years will act as a reason not to move clubs for some players.

The WA and QLD expansions suggest it could be very tough to balance out the talent in SA and NSW.

I can see draft and marquee player assistance increasing in the short term in order to bridge the gap within 3-5 years.

I've been penning together my thoughts about who all four expansion clubs should target this year over on the Mongrel Punt.

ESSENDON AND HAWTHORN

PORT ADELAIDE AND SYDNEY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bombers have confirmed their first player.

Perfect number one signing for the Bombers.

Yes, obvious for most, but she's been in our system for years, everyone I met at Bomberland (and at Swan Districts) says she's a ripping person, and is know for setting the standard for when it comes to elite preparation.

100% worthy of being the first #AFLW signing for our club.

WDL
Adelaide - 2017 :trophy::trophy:
36​
1​
14​
71.56863​
Melbourne - 2017
35​
0​
14​
71.42857​
North Melbourne - 2019
24​
0​
10​
70.58824​
Brisbane - 2017 :trophy:
32​
2​
17​
64.70588​
Fremantle - 2017
29​
1​
18​
61.45833​
Carlton - 2017
25​
1​
23​
52.04082​
Collingwood - 2017
25​
0​
24​
51.02041​
Western Bulldogs - 2017 :trophy:
20​
1​
26​
43.61702​
Greater Western Sydney - 2017
18​
2​
27​
40.42553​
St Kilda - 2020
7​
0​
18​
28​
Geelong - 2019
8​
0​
25​
24.24242​
Richmond - 2020
6​
0​
19​
24​
Gold Coast - 2020
5​
2​
18​
24​
West Coast - 2020
4​
0​
21​
16​
274​
10​
274​
50​

The Collier announcement is curious. Since removed from the article on the club website, but they've left the tweet up which still has her name and face. Are we supposed to act like we didn't see it orrrr...?

The Collier announcement is curious. Since removed from the article on the club website, but they've left the tweet up which still has her name and face. Are we supposed to act like we didn't see it orrrr...?
Interesting this...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back