Discussion Old VFA logo

Remove this Banner Ad

piesnz

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just wondering if anybody has the old VFA logo. I can't for the life of me remember what it looked like?

Ah yes that's the one. It's a shame the VFA committed identity suicide. If they hadn't allowed themselves to become the 2nd tier of the AFL they may have still had something of a support base with people supporting their local suburbs teams. Yet it's pretty hard for those living around Preston for example, which is a Pies supporting area, to support them now they've affiliated with Carlton.

i'm understanding now that we're not alone over here. there are victorians that miss their state comp and their local team too. the AFL has taken over everything and demanded you follow their league if you like footy. such a shame that proud clubs have been bowled over for bird franchises..

My beef is with AFL clubs who affiliate, rape the VFA club of its soul, then toss them aside or absorb them like an amoeba. Am thinking of Coburg and its struggles in the past 12 years.

VFA needed to survive in the 1990s, hence the change and the expansion to country teams (North Ballarat, Traralgon, Bendigo). The merge with the VSFL (old reserves comp) was intriguing but in the end it's been hamfisted... too many AFL clubs whinging that they don't have "control" over how their players are used.

The other angle isn't modern but historic. In 1987 the two-division system collapsed, and over the following 7 years, heaps of teams ceased operating or moved to other local leagues. That was disastrous given that the AFL was just starting to expand to a national league. It would have been a perfect time for the VFL to promote as the "true VICTORIAN competition" or something patriotic like that, but instead, its clubs were falling like plague victims.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back