News Essendon exploring logo change

Remove this Banner Ad

As a side note and don't mean to open up a huge can of worms, but what is the actual contention regarding this is offensive for reasons that it relates to war?
I'd bet good money that there isn't anyone who is offended, and it's just nonsense that has been concocted by the media to make headlines. They have a lot of form at pretending the "woke" want to destroy everything in order to get more eyeballs on their websites.

IIRC the 08-10 logo was hastily thrown together as the club felt pressured by chinese sponsors to ditch the Demon logo, was never really supposed to be permanent.

Then we got the Homer car from the Simpsons of logos, truly beffitting that period of our clubs history.
what does Homer car from Simpsons mean?

IIRC the 08-10 logo was hastily thrown together as the club felt pressured by chinese sponsors to ditch the Demon logo, was never really supposed to be permanent.

Then we got the Homer car from the Simpsons of logos, truly beffitting that period of our clubs history.

The designer of the Homer was definitely a Liverpool fan.

what does Homer car from Simpsons mean?
The car homer designs where he just keeps adding on feature after feature and they end up creating a complete monstrosity.

Do Essendon have the longest standing logo in the league after St Kilda at this point? I think it's definitely due for a change. It's okay but it's definitely a bit dated.

I don't agree with dropping references to a Bomber though. Literally nobody is worried about Bombers being related to war. I could probably get behind a mozzie based mascot but I feel like they'll just go for something generic. You have to keep the sense of flight, it's integral to the brand as I see it.

Surprised it’s taken this long to be honest.

-PTSD trigger for war vets & civilians who were impacted by war.

-Terrorists

That said, they could call themselves anything and someone will still be offended.

Ie the Essendon Aeroplanes (think of the contribution to global warming).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon's current logo is hardly iconic. If anything it's synonymous with scandal and mediocrity as it probably best defines the insert how many days since a finals win era. It isn't a bad logo, but much like Collingwood's change in 2018, the case can be made that it needs a tidy-up. Take Melbourne for instance - the 'Melbourne FC' logo was tanking and the later hodgepodge of everything logo (which I don't hate) encapsulates the Bailey and Neeld eras. Now the current Dees logo is a symbol of success and Essendon's shield logo is that same successful symbol. If the rebrand does go ahead, don't be surprised it includes more 'traditional' elements such as the sash and possibly a reworked 70s, 80s and 90s style bomber logo.

What I don't want to see is a generic Essendon logo with just the EFC monogram. Since Melbourne's rebrand in 2016 and Port's in 2020, we've got four clubs with a monogram-type logo (Carlton obviously, Fremantle, Melbourne and Port). The 'Essendon' font is probably want needs the biggest rework added with the removal of the grey and silver. The whole idea of the Bomber logo being 'offensive' probably arose out of a pros and cons discussion by a brand strategy group that lacks knowledge of football and simply threw it up to balance the contents of a list. I think the biggest fuss out of this is that because it has been their logo for so long, it has been a constant in many people's lives, my own included. For something so old I think it holds up very well.

Albeit if any club I think needed a rebrand to something more 'traditional' it'd be North Melbourne.

ted-talk.jpg

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Last edited:
Albeit if any club I think needed a rebrand to something more 'traditional' it'd be North Melbourne.
I don't disagree, even though I like the current one. There seems to be a massive appetite for the bounding roo to return to the official logo, i'm indifferent but it's a good symbol. i'm fine with the club having dual logos for different contexts, one as a modern sports team logo and one as a traditional football club symbol

1687351996420.jpeg

I don't disagree, even though I like the current one. There seems to be a massive appetite for the bounding roo to return to the official logo, i'm indifferent but it's a good symbol. i'm fine with the club having dual logos for different contexts, one as a modern sports team logo and one as a traditional football club symbol

View attachment 1718579
This is actually a good segue to another question around rebrands and that is timing. Recent rebrands for Fremantle, Melbourne and Port Adelaide have coincided with each club's successful patch, with only one of those three being premiers. As for North, there'd be a fear of rebranding too quickly as a fear of tainting a brand, Melbourne being another good example with the 2011-2015 logo being a joke and replaced with the current which coincided with a return to finals and eventually a flag. Hawthorn's rebrand in 2008 is also another example, West Coast too.

With Essendon's resurgence, are they perhaps getting ahead of themselves by wanting to rebrand now as a means of marking a new era, perhaps so. But if you were Essendon, you'd like to ensure that this season isn't an anomaly since more teams have rebranded too suddenly and subsequently see their new brand humiliated by the continued mistakes associated with the former.

As for North, I'd say the best time to rebrand would be when they too start to bound up the ladder. Especially since Tasmania is announced, the Roos ought to firmly establish themselves in the Victorian market and the bounding roo is much loved because of that golden era of the late 90s. Brayshaw oversaw the rebrand back from 'Kangaroos' to North Melbourne so irrespective of how good or bad the rebrand is, timing is another crucial factor.

This case of time is even more prevalent in the NHL and is what made me view rebrands in this light. Ottawa went back to their first logo coinciding with their rebuild as did Arizona. Yet the latter's rebrand backfired and even more doubts surround their future in the desert and the two are probably the yin and yang of rebrand timings in sports.

This is a whole lot of waffle but I think I got an idea for a video essay.

View attachment 1717450

This this one from that poll is a little underrated in concept, including the sash in the logo for is just an unnegotiable if I was an Essendon fan. Definitely rather sticking to just "EFC" or "Essendon" rather than include the bombers tag line.

Reminds me of what an update to the Essendon logo around ~07-09 could've looked like, similar to what Melbourne played around with at a similar time.
View attachment 1717458
The issue with this logo is that even reading the name, it isn't clear what it is. The concept i guess is fine, but needs a lot more work to make the standard viewer understand it. The font choice for EFC is also quite poor, as is the gradient border on it :(

The issue with this logo is that even reading the name, it isn't clear what it is. The concept i guess is fine, but needs a lot more work to make the standard viewer understand it. The font choice for EFC is also quite poor, as is the gradient border on it :(
Yeah completely agree, for the most part I was reposting it due to the Sash+Flying Bomber idea which I'm amazed hasn't come up from the club

This is actually a good segue to another question around rebrands and that is timing. Recent rebrands for Fremantle, Melbourne and Port Adelaide have coincided with each club's successful patch, with only one of those three being premiers. As for North, there'd be a fear of rebranding too quickly as a fear of tainting a brand, Melbourne being another good example with the 2011-2015 logo being a joke and replaced with the current which coincided with a return to finals and eventually a flag. Hawthorn's rebrand in 2008 is also another example, West Coast too.

With Essendon's resurgence, are they perhaps getting ahead of themselves by wanting to rebrand now as a means of marking a new era, perhaps so. But if you were Essendon, you'd like to ensure that this season isn't an anomaly since more teams have rebranded too suddenly and subsequently see their new brand humiliated by the continued mistakes associated with the former.

As for North, I'd say the best time to rebrand would be when they too start to bound up the ladder. Especially since Tasmania is announced, the Roos ought to firmly establish themselves in the Victorian market and the bounding roo is much loved because of that golden era of the late 90s. Brayshaw oversaw the rebrand back from 'Kangaroos' to North Melbourne so irrespective of how good or bad the rebrand is, timing is another crucial factor.

This case of time is even more prevalent in the NHL and is what made me view rebrands in this light. Ottawa went back to their first logo coinciding with their rebuild as did Arizona. Yet the latter's rebrand backfired and even more doubts surround their future in the desert and the two are probably the yin and yang of rebrand timings in sports.

This is a whole lot of waffle but I think I got an idea for a video essay.
I made a thread about something similar a while ago, guernseys that became associated with failure because of when they were worn during a down period, and the opposite, guernseys that become mainstays because the club played well in them. An example of the former would be North's Argentina strip, worn against Geelong and Collingwood during a period where they won all premierships between them, and the latter would be richmond's black sash on yellow clash strip, because it was worn for the 2017 flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back