News Essendon exploring logo change

Remove this Banner Ad

If they move away from the current logo too much, they'd have to be worried about missing out on new potential young fans.

My kid chose to support Essendon and I'd bet 70% of his decision was based on the logo, and the other 30% on the jumper

Hard to think of a better emblem for a sporting team than a bomber lol, the world has gone nuts
How many times does it need to be said that that’s not the reason they’re thinking of changing their logo?

I made a thread about something similar a while ago, guernseys that became associated with failure because of when they were worn during a down period, and the opposite, guernseys that become mainstays because the club played well in them. An example of the former would be North's Argentina strip, worn against Geelong and Collingwood during a period where they won all premierships between them, and the latter would be richmond's black sash on yellow clash strip, because it was worn for the 2017 flag.
I remember you made a similar point around North's 2003 heritage jumper. A throwback to a compromised design that was highly unsuccessful and if it is supposed to celebrate history, why celebrate an era best forgotten?

Hot take:
Essendon's logo isn't iconic
BUT
its shape, the upside down triangle is.
It fits on with the militaristic theme, for me at least it looks like the downward chevron of the Corp/Sgt airmen ranks.

The new logo just needs to be a refresh of the current one in my opinion. Just like characters in cartoons, logos should be almost instantly identifiable by silhouette alone (which was why I think Port should have kept a rectangular emblem but that's a different story).

Just a colour and font update, a bit rough but you get the idea.

1200px-Essendon_FC_logo.svg.png new logo 2024.png

The reason behind it being some of their supporters might find the current one's wartime reference offensive. Wow.

I say they embrace the skeeter

84d022d16e8e2e2e944a550750db043d67c49a15.png
That's even worse than a war machine. Malaria kills more than half a million people every year.

And why are his eyebrows blue?

That's even worse than a war machine. Malaria kills more than half a million people every year.

And why are his eyebrows blue?

My eyebrows would be blue if I had mushrooms growing from my head.

My hands would also be garlic bread

The new logo just needs to be a refresh of the current one in my opinion. Just like characters in cartoons, logos should be almost instantly identifiable by silhouette alone (which was why I think Port should have kept a rectangular emblem but that's a different story).

Just a colour and font update, a bit rough but you get the idea.

View attachment 1722504 View attachment 1722528
I like this.

Red and black. Nice and simple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back