Ollie Wines - Where Has It All Gone Wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

wines finished equal second with bontempelli in the coaches votes the year he won the brownlow and generally had a great season. i think its a bit disengenuous to say he was never that good / was an undeserving brownlow winner. think the surgery he had on his knees is more likely to be the reason for his decline - has had no explosiveness since the issue arose and the surgery has failed to correct this.

Even so he was more Priddis than Dusty.
Along the lines of a slightly more disposal getting Jack Steele than a genuine match winner.

I think Port are making the right call to sideline him more and let Butters, Rozee & JHF take over. That crop, along with having a defensively minded Drew, will make them perennial finals goers for a while. Wines is a ball getter but lacks the impact of those 3.

This is just odd to me.

In what way would his knee be the bigger issue as opposed to his heart? Like your heart being in A Grade shape is a little more important then a knee in any professional sport. I can take something to stop my knee being sore, I cant take anything to make my heart beat better

I think you look at his TOG over the last 12 months and you can see its his aerobic capacity thats a issue as opposed to a sore knee. Players run through a sore knee but you cant run through being absolutely aerobically spent.

If you can’t train properly because of your knee of course it would limit your fitness?

This is just odd to me.

In what way would his knee be the bigger issue as opposed to his heart? Like your heart being in A Grade shape is a little more important then a knee in any professional sport. I can take something to stop my knee being sore, I cant take anything to make my heart beat better

I think you look at his TOG over the last 12 months and you can see its his aerobic capacity thats a issue as opposed to a sore knee. Players run through a sore knee but you cant run through being absolutely aerobically spent.

Devon Smith? Go look at his TOG in his last season with his bad knee. Compare it to 2018. He retired because of his “sore knee”.

How are you pretending it’s a “sore knee”? No, it’s a degenerative knee that is buggered. That’s not “ooh my knee hurts”.

Devon Smith? Go look at his TOG in his last season with his bad knee. Compare it to 2018. He retired because of his “sore knee”.

How are you pretending it’s a “sore knee”? No, it’s a degenerative knee that is buggered. That’s not “ooh my knee hurts”.
I dont think Wines has been seen as having a degeneative knee issue though? Thats a different story if thats true.

I dont think Wines has been seen as having a degeneative knee issue though? Thats a different story if thats true.
Wines admitted in a pre season interview that his knee will need to be managed for the rest of his career which raised a few eyebrows on the port board at the time.

It's very likely this is what has caused his significant form decline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back