One is the loneliest number – Supermercado reviews draft night

Remove this Banner Ad

If you ignore every advance in the field of entertainment since the introduction of talking pictures there’s nothing more exciting than a sporting draft.

Other than a brief, farcical attempt by hapless Rugby Leaguists to join in the fun 25 years ago the AFL has stood alone as the only national sporting competition in this country willing to subject its best and brightest young talents to a grim, dystopian future at the lowliest of clubs.

Full article ->

"Fortunately this idea was soon shelved in favour of having each of the top 10 draftees shaking hands and posing for pictures with the man who will be their senior coach for at least half of 2016."

Outstanding.

There was some great lines in that article that were quite amusing but overall i don't really agree with it. Yes there's a few things that were totally unnecessary like McLachlan entering and exiting the stage to make the announcement every 2 seconds - surely he could have stayed on stage and someone could have relayed the info to him either by an audio device or on a screen. It does make me kind of wish that we had a really overweight AFL CEO just for giggles.

That said complaints about the pace of the picks is a bit unfair. I think the clubs actually picked at a pretty decent pace over the night when you consider all the list factors and the surprise sliders and such that get thrown up on draft night and they are making decisions that will impact their clubs for years to come. Ultimately a draft is only ever going to appeal to the more hardcore fans that actually follow the U18's and phantom drafts etc because otherwise you won't know who the hell the players are. Its never going to be a mainstream thing.

Is it great television? No. Does it service its niche audience? Yes, i think it does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back