Society/Culture OneFour Banned - Police Overreach?

Remove this Banner Ad

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Australian drill rappers OneFour have been once again stopped by Police from performing in New South Wales.
NSW Police has gone to extraordinary lengths to stop the group performing and told Background Briefing it was willing to use powers designed to target outlaw motorcycle gangs and terrorists.

The group of Pacific Islanders is from Western Sydney and is known for some mildly controversial lyrics and recently two of the group were jailed for a nasty assault in a Sydney pokie venue.

But the use of such powers doesn't sit well with former NSW director of public prosecutions Nicholas Cowdery.

"To see this sort of legislation sought to be applied in circumstances like this with a group of people want to come together to play music, that really is a perversion of the original intention of the legislation," he said.

Police believe it is justified, claiming parallels between violent crimes in Western Sydney and the group's lyrics to suggest OneFour poses a threat to public safety.

Police were quoted as saying
“.Sergeant Trueman said he knows it's hard for young people to grow up in suburbs where opportunities are scarce and he would be happy for OneFour members to continue to pursue their music careers.

But before he lets up, he wants to see an end to violence between the rival groups of youths, and he'd like the content of OneFour's music to change.

"Why can't they sing about something else?" he asked.

"It's tough to live in Mount Druitt, sing about that. Speak about how brilliantly beautiful your wife is.

"I don't know, I'm not a songwriter.".

Reminds me of the controversy on the USA with 80’s rap groups and calls for their banning for advocating violence through their lyrics.

Here are some links/articles to check them out

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-13/australian-drill-rappers-onefour-battle-police/11779746

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...g/news-story/22f7fc761d179d554279b026693b8151

Australian drill rappers OneFour have been once again stopped by Police from performing in New South Wales.
NSW Police has gone to extraordinary lengths to stop the group performing and told Background Briefing it was willing to use powers designed to target outlaw motorcycle gangs and terrorists.

The group of Pacific Islanders is from Western Sydney and is known for some mildly controversial lyrics and recently two of the group were jailed for a nasty assault in a Sydney pokie venue.

But the use of such powers doesn't sit well with former NSW director of public prosecutions Nicholas Cowdery.

"To see this sort of legislation sought to be applied in circumstances like this with a group of people want to come together to play music, that really is a perversion of the original intention of the legislation," he said.

Police believe it is justified, claiming parallels between violent crimes in Western Sydney and the group's lyrics to suggest OneFour poses a threat to public safety.

Police were quoted as saying
“.Sergeant Trueman said he knows it's hard for young people to grow up in suburbs where opportunities are scarce and he would be happy for OneFour members to continue to pursue their music careers.

But before he lets up, he wants to see an end to violence between the rival groups of youths, and he'd like the content of OneFour's music to change.

"Why can't they sing about something else?" he asked.

"It's tough to live in Mount Druitt, sing about that. Speak about how brilliantly beautiful your wife is.

"I don't know, I'm not a songwriter.".

Reminds me of the controversy on the USA with 80’s rap groups and calls for their banning for advocating violence through their lyrics.

Here are some links/articles to check them out

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-13/australian-drill-rappers-onefour-battle-police/11779746

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...g/news-story/22f7fc761d179d554279b026693b8151

The police are actually inflaming the situation; both aggravating those who already follow and identify with the group, and giving them huge publicity they would never have received previously.

Lol that’s not going to sell any records.

A music video will help if it shows a lot of skin;)

Banning music, ha! We've heard this song before haven't we? Social conservative twats in the U.S tried going down that line in the 1980's. Tried linking heavy metal with suicide and all kinds of s**t. It only made the music more popular.

A music video will help if it shows a lot of skin;)

Banning music, ha! We've heard this song before haven't we? Social conservative twats in the U.S tried going down that line in the 1980's. Tried linking heavy metal with suicide and all kinds of s**t. It only made the music more popular.
It has a similar feel about it. The actions of the police play right into publicity for the group and their fans.
Notoriety sells

Early nineties. The school bus would pick up us fifteen or so kids from our quaint country town, and the kindly old driver would pop in whatever cassette we handed over. NWA got a fair run and I can still remember the lyrics to F*#k tha Police. Everything old is new again.

Here is some of the lyrics to 'The Message'

They call me chingy not cause of the way I squint my eyes (aye, aye)
When things get iffy, then I'm known to wave and just swing my knife (ching, ching)
When it goes in em then I push the blade a few few more times (push it)
Two-seven drill 'em them boys victims they don't ride, just bitch and lie (haha)
We twist up while them boy just dancing
Strictly shiv and shankin' (ching)
And push that sword like captain step on deck and plank 'em
Too much talk, but no action, they came for women I'm not here romancing (no way)
I'll use anything just to get the win, I don't take no chances (aye)
Don't step on the field cause weapons of steel are used to play this game (don't step, don't step)
Don't be leaving your home 'cause set in the stone is where you'll see your name
If I lack when I'm out then I'll stomp till I see his brains
Leave these pavements stains
I'll do it again and again
Do it again and again. (hmm, hmm)
That's reckless shivings
If it's done by me, cell, b-do YP, then lad there ain't no difference
Don't pull out for decoration, this thing goes all in 'em
That's vicious drillin's, opposite, victims out on a mission
Souls go missing, I love just ******* twisting

When things get iffy, then I'm known to wave and just swing my knife (ching, ching)
Two-seven drill 'em them boys victims they don't ride, just bitch and lie (haha)
Too much talk, but no action, they came for women I'm not here romancing (no way)
Don't step on the field cause weapons of steel are used to play this game (don't step, don't step)
Don't be leaving your home 'cause set in the stone is where you'll see your name
That's reckless shivings

So basically they go to pubs and bash and slash guys trying to pick up, guys not lookin for trouble.

Are they gay and this is some demented revenge trick for the time gay bashing was the in thing?

For f*ck's sake, metal music sings about murder, mayhem and all kinds of Satanic stuff and, aside from the 'Scandinavian black metal terrorism' of the 1980s aside where religious buildings such as this one (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmenkollen_Chapel) were burned to the ground, the lyrics are just a way of exploring darker emotions and feelings, and telling a story that way.

This kind of rapping, although not my kind of stuff, is tracking along the same lines. Exploring the darker side of things. Murder and mayhem.

That's reckless shivings
Fairly tame imo. Listen to Necro’s Dead Body Disposal, cops!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly tame imo. Listen to Necro’s Dead Body Disposal, cops!

There's a difference if you know your hip hop. Necro doesn't actually butcher people to death. It's just an act to sell. He wants to sound and aims to be 'the most brutal rapper alive'.

Members of onefour have been locked up for exactly what they rap about. Assaults with the use of shanks n shivs.

I'm a massive fan of Necro and onefour. Police are targeting them while they turn their back to other musicians who have been involved in criminal activity. Being unfairly targeted is stopping them from making it big world wide as they clearly have the skills and production to match other drill artists world wide. I've never seen the same energy produced by an Aussie hip hop group. Even Lyrical Commission.

Weather you like them or not this whole banning reakes of hypocrisy

For f*ck's sake, metal music sings about murder, mayhem and all kinds of Satanic stuff and, aside from the 'Scandinavian black metal terrorism' of the 1980s aside where religious buildings such as this one (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmenkollen_Chapel) were burned to the ground, the lyrics are just a way of exploring darker emotions and feelings, and telling a story that way.

This kind of rapping, although not my kind of stuff, is tracking along the same lines. Exploring the darker side of things. Murder and mayhem.

100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back