Oops Chris

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder if she had made an epic comeback what the headlines would have been. Possibly a lot of "you go girl" stuff and other things about Gayle getting owned etc and less focus on workplace harassment.
All she had to say was "in your dreams mate". I've heard that often enough myself and it always put me in my place;)

All she had to say was "in your dreams mate". I've heard that often enough myself and it always put me in my place;)

I think the magnifying glass is less on 'how' she could have responded, but more about the fact that the comments were made in the first place, their substance, and the audacity of Gayle to make them.

Regardless of what is or what has been, it is not acceptable to expect anybody to go to work prepared to receive and accept sexual harassment. Why should a female journalist with a specific interest in sports be forced to make a decision not to follow that career path because testosterone fuelled males think they are fair game to be propositioned?

I'm not saying they should accept sexual harassment but being in that line of work, which is generally very male dominated and blokey, you would be naïve to think you won't cop a bit more flirting from men than you would cop in a typical office job like a bank teller or an accountant.

By all means females shouldn't be discouraged from becoming sports journos/reporters but as I said it's probably not the sort of job you should go into if you're thin skinned or easily offended as the likelihood is that you will cop more flirting/blokey talk than in other less male dominated environments.

Sure. You do understand what 'magnitude' is, right?
The amount of relative media attention various matters recieve is a function of many different factors, and has no relevance to the validity of a specific problem.

That is a fairly simple thing to understand. If you don't then best you surrender your Internet devices to your parents and toddle back to primary school.

I'm not saying they should accept sexual harassment but being in that line of work, which is generally very male dominated and blokey, you would be naïve to think you won't cop a bit more flirting from men than you would cop in a typical office job like a bank teller or an accountant.

By all means females shouldn't be discouraged from becoming sports journos/reporters but as I said it's probably not the sort of job you should go into if you're thin skinned or easily offended as the likelihood is that you will cop more flirting/blokey talk than in other less male dominated environments.

You're not saying they should accept it but you are saying they should expect it and not get into the job if they cant handle it... I'm not seeing a huge difference between the two.

You do realise that one does not diminish the other as an issue though right?

There is nothing to say that people should concentrate on the biggest news story or the most catastrophic news story and not on any others. Sure, we can use world events to find perspective when it comes to what we worry about, however that is almost irrelevant on a discussion forum such as this.

The topic exists. When one side pushes telling people it's a non-story and to get over it, there will be push back from people who don't believe it is a non-story and do think it needs to be discussed.

If one side stops pushing, the other side will soon run out of objections. The only question is which side stops pushing. The one that thinks that outrage about sexual banter is overblown, or the ones that think that those offended by sexual harassment while they are working should not be. If you are somewhere in the middle and see shades of grey, then you won't be annoyed by either side continuing the discussion.

I have to ask though, does having to read something in the papers, see it in an internet thread, or watch another few minute rehash on TV cause more annoyance to the viewer than multiple sexual harassment examples causes to a recipient? Why is our annoyance at having our news cycle interrupted greater than the issue that is interrupting it?

This notion ... can't believe we are still talking about it, get over it etc, seems a little selfish at heart. Just ignore stuff that you don't wish to view or read about.
jIlbm3g.jpg

delicious ironing

What stereotype exactly? The watermelon/black people association comes from the Southern US, not Jamaica or any other part of the West Indies.
So does blackface, do you think it's appropriate in Australia?

I'm not looking to make a big deal of the cartoon, it doesn't bother me, but if one is aware of a stereotype/association and uses it in a different context, then as I said, it's probably tone deaf.

jIlbm3g.jpg

delicious ironing

Wait, so you think someone suggesting you were deflecting, and you believing I am deflecting, added together makes irony? We don't all share a brain here, and I fail to see how I am deflecting when explaining that more than one issue can be discussed, and when I am posting on topic in a thread about one of those issues.

I think the magnifying glass is less on 'how' she could have responded, but more about the fact that the comments were made in the first place, their substance, and the audacity of Gayle to make them.

Neither are necessarily the right place to be pointing the magnifying glass either.

I don't think enough has been made of the fact that Mel is a married woman. When I watched the interview live, that was the first thing that popped into my head. I'm not sure Gayle is aware she's married, or much less cares, but in addition to her being put on the spot, there could have also been floating around in her head that the wrong response/reaction could lead to a bit of friction at home. Her not responding verbally to his advances in any way certainly would help in that regard.

You're not saying they should accept it but you are saying they should expect it and not get into the job if they cant handle it... I'm not seeing a huge difference between the two.
the world is not a binary, there is ambiguity and there is a spectrum, which was manifestly demonstrated by Gayle's lack of social literacy

the world is not a binary, there is ambiguity and there is a spectrum, which was manifestly demonstrated by Gayle's lack of social literacy

What? I'm not sure how that relates to what i responded to or my response but your continued attempts to defend him are getting more desperate dude you have literally gone from

- She should just cop it cause she is hot and i wouldnt mind it if i was her... to
- The whole reaction was over the top... to
- Its not like he is a rapist... to
- Its so grey, its cultural

Straws are being desperately clutched at and even they think you have no idea.

Neither are necessarily the right place to be pointing the magnifying glass either.

I don't think enough has been made of the fact that Mel is a married woman. When I watched the interview live, that was the first thing that popped into my head. I'm not sure Gayle is aware she's married, or much less cares, but in addition to her being put on the spot, there could have also been floating around in her head that the wrong response/reaction could lead to a bit of friction at home. Her not responding verbally to his advances in any way certainly would help in that regard.
Mel is married? God damn :(

I mean, so am I, but still...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does blackface, do you think it's appropriate in Australia?

I'm not looking to make a big deal of the cartoon, it doesn't bother me, but if one is aware of a stereotype/association and uses it in a different context, then as I said, it's probably tone deaf.

Blackface may have originated elsewhere, but it permeated into many different societies. Hell, when I was in primary school I not once but twice ended up doing blackface for school productions - once for 'My Boomerang Won't Come Back' and once for 'The Witch Doctor'. Both scenarios (Aboriginal and African) aren't related to the origin of what is called blackface (American theatre), but they later came to be incorporated in the meaning of it and was frequently used worldwide.

Far as I know, watermelons and Jamaicans still aren't closely associated these days.

Wait, so you think someone suggesting you were deflecting, and you believing I am deflecting, added together makes irony? We don't all share a brain here, and I fail to see how I am deflecting when explaining that more than one issue can be discussed, and when I am posting on topic in a thread about one of those issues.
Irony is you liking the suggestion i'm deflecting away from the main "issue" (harmless banter) and then immediately deflect away from recent incident of mass sexual assault involving dozens of victims and up to one thousand perpetrators.

I don't think enough has been made of the fact that Mel is a married woman. When I watched the interview live, that was the first thing that popped into my head. I'm not sure Gayle is aware she's married, or much less cares, but in addition to her being put on the spot, there could have also been floating around in her head that the wrong response/reaction could lead to a bit of friction at home.
Considering she's divorcing her husband, it might speed the whole process up.

The amount of relative media attention various matters recieve is a function of many different factors, and has no relevance to the validity of a specific problem.

That is a fairly simple thing to understand. If you don't then best you surrender your Internet devices to your parents and toddle back to primary school.
Forgive me if I lend little weight to feinting couch hand-wringers who pat themselves on the back for crusading on a a non-incident while ignoring real world problems.

- She should just cop it cause she is hot and i wouldnt mind it if i was her... to
- The whole reaction was over the top... to
no, these were others responses. Ask The Old Dark Navy's if these were my posts? I was more nuanced than this. I did invoke Kelli Underwood and Pauline Menczer however, as falling on the wrong side of Mulvey's male gaze. But I never alluded to MM's attractiveness made her a mark for the players.

I DID say that, this is a role that the producers and TV stations fill. Tracy Spicer, and Helen (not Kapalos, someone else...) have mentioned this, and Jessica Rowe and McGuire "bone" would support this position I invoked...

edit: re:the Helen I meant, I was remembering Anne Fullwood.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Gayle is aware she's married, or much less cares,
you reckon these athletes care. they treat themselves as whores, they wont care about anyones putative single status. They need to be double-bagged with deep-heat over the first prophylactic, so if a prophylactic busts, one of the two partners will know. They will be walking petrie dishes for the clap, standing ovation veritable STDs

there was a locum GP who was filling in for the regular doctor who did the Australian team test matches in the 1980s, (coulda been 70s), but the locum was female. She only lasted one day of the test. One of the primary roles of the doc at the tests was to handle and swab for the STDs.

Does anybody in this thread suffer from a diagnosed mental illness for which they are seeking treatment?

Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular. But you know ... one in five Australians and all that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back