Opinion Open draft, who do you take with pick #1

Remove this Banner Ad

At what point do you discount a player's value due to age? Dustin Martin and Nat Fyfe are 28 and dominant. Do you take Jeremy Cameron who is two years younger but not as consistent over his career? Or Patrick Cripps who is 24 but not quite as good in the middle?

I reckon Taranto is a sneaky shout. Killing it for GWS and only 21. Sam Walsh another. Pick 1 last year and is the #1 ball winner for Carlton (Cripps has missed 2 games) in his first year, so teams have got a look at him at AFL level. Other than the obvious stars in their mid 20s (Cameron, Grundy, Cripps) I reckon these are the sort of players clubs would look at because of the longevity factor.

At what point do you discount a player's value due to age? Dustin Martin and Nat Fyfe are 28 and dominant. Do you take Jeremy Cameron who is two years younger but not as consistent over his career? Or Patrick Cripps who is 24 but not quite as good in the middle?

I reckon Taranto is a sneaky shout. Killing it for GWS and only 21. Sam Walsh another. Pick 1 last year and is the #1 ball winner for Carlton (Cripps has missed 2 games) in his first year, so teams have got a look at him at AFL level. Other than the obvious stars in their mid 20s (Cameron, Grundy, Cripps) I reckon these are the sort of players clubs would look at because of the longevity factor.
no real right or wrong, I just think you pick the best player in the game with at least 3 seasons in them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon McKenna, while absolutely nowhere near #1 should be selected a lot higher than most people would think.

#1 for me is Cripps, as close to the most complete player there is as I can think of. So many diverse skillsets at such a high quality.

As soon as this damn trade is in the past I'll be hoping the Blues make finals purely for his sake.

I'm surprised no one has gone with Tim Kelly (unless I guess everyone is assuming real life go-home issues factor into a hypothetical open draft?)

I'd take Cripps first, but Kelly is a close second.

Cripps, Grundy, Cameron, Bont and Josh Kelly would all be up there. I reckon anyone drafted before 2012 would be deemed too old and the likes of Olivier, McLuggage, Taranto, Walsh etc would go before your Martin, Danger and Fyfes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back