Open Mike with Carlton Legend Ken Hunter

Remove this Banner Ad

incaciawin

Blues4ever
Aug 7, 2009
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The 80's was a glorious time to be a Blues fan. Multiple premierships, numerous champion players and a home ground in Princes Park which would come to life on match days.
Ken Hunter was one of the legendary players of that era. Brave beyond description,freakish in the air, tough, humble and always fair.
On Open Mike he opens up about the mental health demons that plagued the end of his stellar career. Thankfully he came through it. I thoroughly recommend listening to what he has to say.

W
Our off season recruits that year from memory: Ken Hunter, Bosustow, Greg Wells, David Glascott, Phil Maylin?

Any others? Not a bad haul....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
When did Frank Marchesani come to us ?

Our off season recruits that year from memory: Ken Hunter, Bosustow, Greg Wells, David Glascott, Phil Maylin?

Any others? Not a bad haul....
Wells was actually mid-season the year before. Maylin from start of season before, too.

To add to Bosustow, Hunter and Glascott were Bortolotto from Geelong and Marchesani, "Rising Star" from Fitzroy.
Geoff Hocking from WA and also Kourkemelis internally from under 19's , I believe.

1982 David Clarke from Geelong, Justin Madden from Essendon, Stephen Easton from North, Bruce Reid from Footscray, Ditchburn from WA, Meldrum walking from off the street to train, Mark Buckley and Shane Robertson from under 19's and Gimore from our country zone

I’ve known ken and Mandy for many years and they’re both beautiful people. He did tell me back in 89 he didn’t have the best relationship with Wallsy. Not sure if Mandy is still at the club but she did a lot of work there in my time with the carltonians, they’re through and through carlton people.

I’ve known ken and Mandy for many years and they’re both beautiful people. He did tell me back in 89 he didn’t have the best relationship with Wallsy. Not sure if Mandy is still at the club but she did a lot of work there in my time with the carltonians, they’re through and through carlton people.

Fair to say Wall’s had lost the players !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Wallsy. He cops it a lot.

Walls and my brother started at Coburg Teachers College in 1968 or thereabouts.

My mum would often chat with Robert’s mum and his sister Annette before and after games. Lovely people.

When I spent a few years around the club as an U19 he’d always say g’day and referred to me as “Lou’s little brother”.

So it’s all been positive from what I remember.

There’s no doubt he’s hard and single minded. He needed it to be successful as a player and coach. He’s had issues to deal with and he acknowledges the end at Carlton was bad. The players copped the brunt of it because of his poor relationship with Collins and Elliott.

As for Kenny Hunter. Probably the bravest player to pull on a Carlton jumper. He’s anticipation and reading of the play exceptional. Great mark. Funny kick. Boy would I like to unearth another Kenny now.

Robbo in Paphos, Cyprus saying hi to all those back in Australia. I’m having a Keo (beer) at the moment. I’m going to suggest a change of name to Keo(gh). Wish me luck.

Last edited:
I posted an article about Ken (written by Don Watson) about 24 hrs ago and it has obviously been deleted.

I presume it was deleted because I quoted the entire piece which is apparently verboten.

The article is magnificent and I would be happy to forward it to anyone who cares to read.

It was a great read.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back