Origin in a shortened 2020 AFL & NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

If we didn't get a season and we only had limited weeks to play footy, than an origin style comp or series could really make sense and would actually be pretty cool to watch.

The risk is even higher though for clubs releasing players. If there was no AFL in 2020, why the hell would Richmond want to release Dusty in September for a few origin games and risk him doing his knee and missing the entire 2021 season?
Why does some moron always come out with the 'what if the worst case scenario happens'
Alex Rance did his knee in a basically meaningless round 1 game for Richmond's overall season.

Sam Docherty did his in a training session.
Melbourne's had a young draftee do 2 in 2 years at training.
There's always a risk of athletes getting injured but the whole idea of sport is to be an entertainment and one players health doesn't over rule a whole concept that could captivate millions.

Why does some moron always come out with the 'what if the worst case scenario happens'
Alex Rance did his knee in a basically meaningless round 1 game for Richmond's overall season.

There's always a risk of athletes getting injured but the whole idea of sport is to be an entertainment and one players health doesn't over rule a whole concept that could captivate millions.

Rampe gave himself a long term injury jumping over a 30cm chain. Injuries happen.

It's not me who has the issue but you don't think clubs will tap their stars on the shoulder and pull some of them out?

SoO works in NRL because the clubs endorse it and the players consider it an honour. Our players/clubs seem to be reluctant to take the risk as they can never find time to play it.

It's not me who has the issue but you don't think clubs will tap their stars on the shoulder and pull some of them out?

SoO works in NRL because the clubs endorse it and the players consider it an honour. Our players/clubs seem to be reluctant to take the risk as they can never find time to play it.
Considering the AFL literally pays for about 8 clubs to stay in existence then I'm sure they could flex. It won't be the club's who hold the players back it'll be the players themselves. If Dusty wants to play Richmond will let him.

Considering the AFL literally pays for about 8 clubs to stay in existence then I'm sure they could flex. It won't be the club's who hold the players back it'll be the players themselves. If Dusty wants to play Richmond will let him.
I hope so. I'm a fan of SoO but only if it's pure. That means commitment from clubs, players and the spirit of the game needs to be right.

I'm not convinced of any of those yet.

I hope so. I'm a fan of SoO but only if it's pure. That means commitment from clubs, players and the spirit of the game needs to be right.

I'm not convinced of any of those yet.
Righto sorry about the insult then, the injury crew really s**t me because true state of origin would be amazing.
I mean I'm a Melbourne fan, I've watched essentially a team be s**t all my life and I've never got to see our players tested in important games really. Rebuilds as it is take 5-10 years from when you start and they don't always work. Would be ******* unreal to have another team to be invested in.

I think an SOO works if you have 3 tiers
So season 1
Vic vs WA
SA vs NSW
QLD vs Tasmania
NT
Winners go up, losers go down. Can play 1 match per year to make it special. Have televised Guernsey presentations in each state to show how big of a deal it is to represent your state. Game 1 winner is the champion of the year.

Reality is Aussie Rules introduced the concept, its use by date was the national comp, it doesnt have a place in the current AFL set up. This opportunity may result in a one of series.
I think the AFLPA will be under pressure from the players, the clubs under pressure from the AFL, & all of these bodies under pressure from 7.

Reality is Aussie Rules introduced the concept, its use by date was the national comp, it doesnt have a place in the current AFL set up. This opportunity may result in a one of series.
I think the AFLPA will be under pressure from the players, the clubs under pressure from the AFL, & all of these bodies under pressure from 7.
Aussie rules might have introduced it, but the Rugby League has ******* nailed it. It's one of the highlights of the sporting calendar in Australia. Huge tribal passion, big crowds anywhere it goes, enormous TV audience, total player pride and commitment.

It would be unbelievable if the AFL ever got anything near that but I have my doubts with the current view. It's seen as an exhibition.

Aussie rules might have introduced it, but the Rugby League has ******* nailed it. It's one of the highlights of the sporting calendar in Australia. Huge tribal passion, big crowds anywhere it goes, enormous TV audience, total player pride and commitment.

It would be unbelievable if the AFL ever got anything near that but I have my doubts with the current view. It's seen as an exhibition.
Rugby has one thing the AFL has moved away from, big hits and violence.
Aussie rules games are passionless and safe now, you won't see teammates fighting for Vic vs WA.
People in Vic only watch it because of the punch on possibility. They wouldn't watch it if it was a normal game.

Seriously? All covered already, you came in late.

Ordinarily I wouldnt post this on a thread like this, but the pressure channel 7 has on it is the reason it would pressure the AFL:

'The Seven Network is introducing severe cost-cutting measures, ordering staff to take 20% pay cuts and warning job losses are “inevitable”, as it braces for the economic impact of the coronavirus crisis.
The network’s chief, James Warburton, broke the news in an email to staff on Wednesday afternoon, saying “we find ourselves in an extraordinary and challenging situation”.

Outlining the austerity measures, Mr Warburton said that all network staff earning between $80,000 and $200,000 – and not covered by an enterprise agreement – “will be asked to work a four-day week with a commensurate 20 per cent reduction in salary”.

Those earning more than $200,000 “will be asked to accept a 20 per cent temporary salary reduction and continue to work a five-day week to assist the company through this challenging time”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RL has 2 states that are competitive with each other.

AFL has 6 states, with many different standards.

If RL was forced to include Vic, WA, SA, Tas, etc, it would be a shambles too.

:thumbsu: Spot on, it was always a problem even when Aussie Rules Origin was at its peak.
Beating Vic was the main game & even when it lost (as it did) ;) , the aim was to do it again. Even NSW (team Daniher) did if my memory does not fail me.
Winning away from home was always a problem.

The NRL version lends itself well to what the 9 want, not so for 7 with the AFL. The Allstars will never get the passion on or off field.

:thumbsu: Spot on, it was always a problem even when Aussie Rules Origin was at its peak.
Beating Vic was the main game & even when it lost (as it did) ;) , the aim was to do it again. Even NSW (team Daniher) did if my memory does not fail me.

The NRL version lends itself well to what the 9 want, not so for 7 with the AFL. The Allstars will never get the passion on or off field.

Wasn't helped by the fact so many of the best non-Victorian players somehow ended up playing for Victoria.

To get a competitive game with Vic required some 'adjustments' that don't really apply as much any more.

Ever notice how all the close games were away from Vic?

Now that players are more comfortable with travel, and techniques are in place to minimise the effects, as well as uniform umpiring and greater familiarity with all venues, these tweaks to make it more competitive are lessened, and the results are likely to favor the bigger states even more. (there will be exceptions of course, but they'll be more clearly exceptions).

Rugby has one thing the AFL has moved away from, big hits and violence.
Aussie rules games are passionless and safe now, you won't see teammates fighting for Vic vs WA.
People in Vic only watch it because of the punch on possibility. They wouldn't watch it if it was a normal game.
I'm a person in VIC. It draws huge audiences everywhere, and crowds. I watch it because I enjoy the sport and the contest is second to none.

Okay? All I'm saying is they have a great product and I'd like AFL to have one too. There's a lot of posters on here who seem to want to s**t on NRL and I don't understand why. It's very possible to be a fan of both, and acknowledge when one code does something well, and not so well. Right now, AFL is not doing SoO at all, and we can look to the NRL to see what elements we could use that they do well.

Okay? All I'm saying is they have a great product and I'd like AFL to have one too. There's a lot of posters on here who seem to want to s**t on NRL and I don't understand why. It's very possible to be a fan of both, and acknowledge when one code does something well, and not so well. Right now, AFL is not doing SoO at all, and we can look to the NRL to see what elements we could use that they do well.

Point is, they can't do it (as) well.

Same state teams playing all the time in competitive matches which cover 95% of your fan base.

AFL simply can't replicate that.

Same state teams playing all the time in competitive matches which cover 95% of your fan base.

We can't, but there's things we can learn, and goals to aim for. If we can generate the same fan, player and club buy in as they do, there's no reason we can't aim for that level even if we never quite have the same product.

The ratings suggest its more like 110% of fans & plenty of sports fans across the country.

The point here is not a one off game IF it were to get up - NRL/9 have a series, 7 is in heaps of trouble, a series is what they would look for (imho).
You are right to address the issue of competitiveness, a game because its fair because ... wont get up.

I'm a person in VIC. It draws huge audiences everywhere, and crowds. I watch it because I enjoy the sport and the contest is second to none.
Melbourne Storm has fans aswell, it wouldn't be the biggest sporting contest in Australia without the threat of a punch on or else why wouldn't league be more popular than AFL

Melbourne Storm has fans aswell, it wouldn't be the biggest sporting contest in Australia without the threat of a punch on or else why wouldn't league be more popular than AFL
Lol grow up, That's a really stupid comment. It hasn't packed out stadiums everywhere and been one of the highest television rating sporting events each year because Aussies are desperately hoping there might be a punch thrown.

Lol grow up, That's a really stupid comment. It hasn't packed out stadiums everywhere and been one of the highest television rating sporting events each year because Aussies are desperately hoping there might be a punch thrown.
You need to grow up, one of the biggest drawing factors of rugby league is the hatred between the 2 states. Go on YouTube

Best origin tries all time video highest count - 400k
2009 punch up video - 850k

Remove this Banner Ad

Back