Analysis Our Back 6

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Won't be easy getting a spot and keeping it that is for sure. Not a bad problem to have.

Its was caddy is not b22 comment which had me triggered.

He isn't a classical winger Whitfield. Prime Scully. Gaff. But has some good tools

I think the team is fast enough to cover his lack of pace.

Edit:. Maybe that comment was from another thread. I'd been worrying bout it all night.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Its was caddy is not b22 comment which had me triggered.

He isn't a classical winger Whitfield. Prime Scully. Gaff. But has some good tools

I think the team is fast enough to cover his lack of pace.

Edit:. Maybe that comment was from another thread. I'd been worrying bout it all night.
I like Caddy on the wing, over MacIntosh because of the fact he is class. Having said that, he will be underdone and MacIntosh has been strong on his wing. Besides Caddy is not back for a week or two, anything could happen in that time.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Starting backs if all were available for me would be:
Grimes Astbury Broad
Vlastuin Balta Houli/Short (7th defender bench/rotate/etc)

I like Astbury taking the gorilla with Balta taking the second tall forward, particularly the more mobile one. Grimes can take dangerous small/med forwards like Cameron, Elliott etc (woldn't play him on Butler though, other options for him) or a more dangerous 3rd tall if no real dangerous small. Broad to take 3rd tall if Grimes taking small, Vlastuin, Short and Houli to rotate through the others.

Good problems to have though. Hard to pick our best 22 if all fit and available.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Starting backs if all were available for me would be:
Grimes Astbury Broad
Vlastuin Balta Houli/Short (7th defender bench/rotate/etc)

I like Astbury taking the gorilla with Balta taking the second tall forward, particularly the more mobile one. Grimes can take dangerous small/med forwards like Cameron, Elliott etc (woldn't play him on Butler though, other options for him) or a more dangerous 3rd tall if no real dangerous small. Broad to take 3rd tall if Grimes taking small, Vlastuin, Short and Houli to rotate through the others.

Good problems to have though. Hard to pick our best 22 if all fit and available.
No space for Baker?

Baker is just about ahead of Short for me. Just such a competitor, doesn't lose many contests, good disposal.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Realistically the back 6 probably has 8 or so players rotate through on any one night.

Vlastuin Astbury Grimes
Short Balta Broad

/Houli, Baker, Eggmolesse-Smith rotating through at times.

That first 6 is probably where I'm starting most matches though. I actually think Houli might be closer to the end than we think, he seems to have been hit by Father Time pretty hard this year, don't think he has anything beyond 2021, and it's not out of the question he calls it quits at end of 2020 imo, especially if younger players continue to impress.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
No space for Baker?

Baker is just about ahead of Short for me. Just such a competitor, doesn't lose many contests, good disposal.

I'd actually have him higher.... or Houli higher I suppose. Bakes is a star. Wonder if he could add bite to our forward line. Comes out a bit easily this year.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Houli is done

Only reason you play him is because he’s experienced, his output will be no different to egg or any other fringe player in team atm

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't think so his output would be alot more.We needed a calm head yesterday with his know how's and his proof that time and time again.

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Houli is done

Only reason you play him is because he’s experienced, his output will be no different to egg or any other fringe player in team atm

Egg is pretty crap mate, great disposal but soft and no intensity. Doesn't have the pace of Short, despite both being rookie picks Short is way ahead.
Houli simply must come back and has another year in him at least.
We should target Smith or Laird from Adelaide, and get a new midfielder in like Wines if possible.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Egg is pretty crap mate, great disposal but soft and no intensity. Doesn't have the pace of Short, despite both being rookie picks Short is way ahead.
We should target Smith or Laird from Adelaide, and get a new midfielder in like Wines if possible.
Agree with everything.

We need a contested ball winner in the middle. Shiel, Treloar, Wines, Oliver, a player of that ilk.

Goshaa

🏆🏆
Jul 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

Goshaa

🏆🏆
Jul 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Houli was an AA last year. He’s 32. Not 42. Huge upgrade on Egg-Smith, who is a rookie and has played 8 games.

Half backs at other top eight sides:

WCE - Shannon Hurn (33), Jetta (31)
GWS - Heath Shaw (33)
Brisbane - Birchall (32), last year Hodge (35)
Collingwood - Howe (30)
Geelong - Tuoy (30)
St Kilda - Geary (32)

Then there’s guys like Simpson (36), Hibberd (30), Etc.

We are a way better side with Houli in it. He’s also being judged on his last few games when we were collectively horrendous. He will regain his touch and will be primed for finals.

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Houli is done

This is a crazy comment.
The guy was all Australian last year and averaged 23 touches a week this year before moving out of the side due no fault of his own.
He is one of the first picked in our best side if available. The guy is a gun and clearly makes us better.

This says it all:
2DB57CEC-0616-4F8F-8E71-58D7CB2954F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Astbury, Houli in / Broad, Egg out. Baker is a lock, Short bench/rotate?

This was so much easier when we were sh*t.

Astbury in. ---> no.1 forward.

Balta wing

Caddy can work on his golf for a bit

Broad. Grimes. Vlastuin.
Houli. Astbury. Baker. / Short.
Pickett. Cotchin. Balta

7th defend short / Baker / balta?

Lambert. Edwards. George. Etc. Can push higher play mid / wing. / Hbf is required.

Aarts and Chol being good gives more options.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Houli is well ahead of egg

Would very much like to get at least one more season out of Bach

rideclutch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Formula 1, PGA Tour
Broad out? He's probably been our best backman over the course of the year. Can play on any type. No way he gets dropped.
Yeah that seems to be the consensus here, so I'm clearly missing something.

Personally I've always seen him as no better than 'solid' and frequently below that. There was a passage against Port where he deadset just dropped the ball and fumbled, nearly cost a goal? Respect his workrate and durability but I've been trying to squeeze him out for a while now.

Aug 25, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Yeah that seems to be the consensus here, so I'm clearly missing something.

Personally I've always seen him as no better than 'solid' and frequently below that. There was a passage against Port where he deadset just dropped the ball and fumbled, nearly cost a goal? Respect his workrate and durability but I've been trying to squeeze him out for a while now.

I know a couple of people who don`t rate him but I reckon that`s from the odd mistake he makes, he used to slice the ball off the outside of his left boot out on the full a bit, he seems to have largely got that out of his game.
I still get nervous when he kicks on his left though.

But he has so many great defensive aspects though that he is a key member of our backline.
He`s quick, strong, tough and a great competitor.

Someone wrote on here a few weeeks ago that it will be a cold day in hell when Broad gets dropped.

rideclutch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Formula 1, PGA Tour
I know a couple of people who don`t rate him but I reckon that`s from the odd mistake he makes, he used to slice the ball off the outside of his left boot out on the full a bit, he seems to have largely got that out of his game.
I still get nervous when he kicks on his left though.

But he has so many great defensive aspects though that he is a key member of our backline.
He`s quick, strong, tough and a great competitor.

Someone wrote on here a few weeeks ago that it will be a cold day in hell when Broad gets dropped.
I'll pay closer attention next few weeks to see if I can change my tune.

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Houli is done

What on earth are you smoking?

Houli is a reigning All Australian, was once again one of our best players in the Grand Final.

He’s also preformed really well in the games he’s played this season. I’d happily argue his time away from playing to support his family and wait in quarantine will leave him more refreshed and ready to go.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Houli is well ahead of egg

Would very much like to get at least one more season out of Bach
Yep particularly if he plays good footy for the remainder of the season there’s absolutely no reason he shouldn’t push on. Hands down our best distributor out of the back half.

Age shouldn’t be the deciding factor as to when a player retires should always be form.
I was watching Mundy run around for Freo last week and at 35 looked as good as anyone out there.

Back