Our best rolling 22

Remove this Banner Ad

At some stage:

1. One of Marchbank/Newnes or Kemp will replace Williamson and free him to go to wing.
2. Docherty may actually end up playing a wing rotation if Teague wants to keep SPS in defence - otherwise SPS will need to able to play wing or HFF.
3. Later in the year - Charlie should get back which will put pressure on one of Levi or McGovern top keep their places.
4. TDK/Pittonet as a combo is the only way Levi gets pushed out if Harry/McGovern Charlie become the plan later in the year.

Dow/Stocker/Newnes will be competing for midfield/HFF rotations all year.
Gibbons/Owies/Honey/Durdin will be eyeing off Eddie's spot all year- and Gibbons will be given first crack from the bench due to runs on the board.
LoB/Philp/Carroll/Cottrell/Kennedy/SOJ - will be battling for any extended run in AFL.

My best team assuming 100% fitness would be:

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Saad
Williams Walsh Williamson
TDK Cripps Setterfield
Fisher Harry Martin
Murphy Charlie McGovern

IC: SPS Ed Dow Cuningham
I like your team, but who rucks when tdk rests?

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

15 goals is not gonna cut it for mine (if he could in fact produce that)......will be sad to see him go out playing seconds and I would rather him retire.

Particularly if he can do it whilst we can add another player to our list. He could still be at Club to mentor the kids.
Do you forget the shortened games? The compressed schedule compromised an older player? Being away from family? Let’s not crucify him, or anyone, based on last season and see what one of the most exciting, productive small forwards has to offer before we throw him to the recycling bin.

It's weird. He kicked 9 goals in the first 5 games, and then suddenly it dropped to only 4 more in the last 10 of the season.

The end to his year was horrible, but overall he did better than every single other small forward. Betts averaged more goals per game than all of Fisher, Martin, Newnes, Gibbons and Cuningham.

I still think he has it in him to kick 15+ this year, and reckon he will thrive under crowds again. I do hope though that someone like Fog, Durdin, Honey, Philp or Owies can steal his spot in the b22.

Tough judges.

2020 was an aberration, for everyone.

Based on that, this is what my round 1 team looks like:

FB: Plowman Jones Saad
HB: Docherty Weitering Williamson
C: Walsh E.Curnow Williams
HF: Murphy Casboult Martin
FF: JSOS McKay Fisher

R: Pittonet Cripps Setterfield

Int: SPS, Dow, Fogarty, O'Brien

Unlucky: Cuningham (as a forward)

Our ability to move the ball was vastly improved once we had a better speed/endurance mix out there.

Our ability to move the ball was vastly improved once we had a better speed/endurance mix out there.
I think you may have nailed it, and you are probably right it goes down the wire on the 22nd player being Fogarty vs Cunningham

fogerty over gibbo?

fogerty over gibbo?
Better kick, better more effective at stoppages, better mark, better speed. Slightly weaker endurance, less forward nous.

But Murphy is the one replacing Gibbons: Fogarty's on the bench. Look at the midfield depth in that team, look at the number of players who can actually run defensively, can actually spread from the stoppage.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lob won't be in our 22

Round 1 can Pittonet ruck al day on his own without a backup?? Without Levi we really struggle to have anyone that can give him a chop out. He will be going up against Nankervis or Saldo which i am confident Pitto can match it with, and probably beat..

Will we have to go with the Bulldogs tactic of sending an extra midfielder and just roving the Richmond ruck when Pitto needs a rest? Liam Jones in the past has helped out in the ruck when desperate, but he will have his hands full with Tom Lynch..

Lob won't be in our 22
I've never seen him play more confidently and capably. Maybe he wasn't in the coaches plans as of two weeks ago, but you cannot ignore that kind of form.

He was collecting possessions for fun, and running both ways.

fogerty over gibbo?
Reckon Fogerty had some hunger out there last night and a point to prove to the selectors.

May not have hit the scoreboard, but the forward pressure/perceived pressure that he applied was great for a young bloke with not a lot of AFL footy under his belt....

What I think we'll roll out:

Doc, Jones, Plow
Saad, Weitering, SPS
Setterfield, Cripps, Williamson
Pittonet, Walsh, Williams
Martin, Casboult, Murphy
JSOS, Mckay, Fisher
I/C: Curnow, Newnes, Dow, Cuningham
EMG: LOB, Fogarty, Gibbons, not sure who else - maybe McDonald if we list him, as coverage for a KPP injury in the warmup.

Gut feeling that Gov will miss, and potentially Betts as well. Both offset by the good showings from JSOS and Murph/Fisher.

LOB could potentially get a run if Newnes' rolled ankle turns out to be something more serious.

EDIT: With Betts playing and hitting the scoreboard in the ressies game, he may firm for a round one berth ahead of Cunners.

Last edited:
Some of our best 22 on notice for below par kicking IMO. Docherty (usually a better kick than that), Setterfield, Walsh, Curnow, Newnes and Dow are the ones I feel may frustrate us this season. Dow seems to have improved a lot but this group are very good with kicking within their limits and just going long or trying to hit leading and harder targets and turning it over. IMO the next step for our side is possible a little more speed again but definitely adding more hurt factor by foot.

We have some players on the fringe who are good kicks. O'Brien who has struggled and has been slow to develop and Stocker who I am very surprised we have not seen more of in the practice matches. It's going to be a tough call for the coach to drop a good ball winner who has been a set in stone best 22 player for a very long time because they aren't damaging enough by foot.

I think Docherty is fine, he does have the bad day but mostly he is fine. Setterfield I am yet to see any evidence he can kick, there is just no hurt factor there for mine but he does most other things well. Curnow has been playing within his limits for years but he has no hurt factor either. He's another who is limited to short easy to hit targets or just going long. Newnes is the same. Dow is young and looks to have taken the next step and he's kicked the ball well enough for my liking.

On the fringes of this we have Murphy, Gibbons and Silvagni. Murphy has his misses but mostly he is good and this has to be his thing, hitting targets as a half forward. Gibbons I was always critical he wasn't good enough at this for this role but he improved his short kicking last season and Silvagni has always been par for being able to hit a target. Fisher is a good kick. Cuningham has been disappointing, there was talk he was a top kick too but I haven't seen it, for mine he plays it safe too much.

The question is who in the reserves is a damaging kick?

Stocker is supposed to be a good kick and O'Brien seems to be able to hit a target. IMO we need to be pushing a lot harder to get them into the team. Philp is supposed to be a good kick as well but his preseason has been stalled with injury but I see him as building his game as a wingman.

This is a tough one for our coach IMO. We've added some dash and disposal quality in Saad and Williams but a lot of our core midfield group really let us down going forward.

out: Plowmen
in: Parks
From what I have heard he has put his hand up big time......... IMO probably more pressure on Williamson than Plow at this stage.

Was quiet V Saints and is not strong in the air like Parks is. We need this intercepting marking down back. Jones does it closer to goal
but we need somebody doing it a little higher up too......

Could be a real smoky for rd. 1 and I for one would love to see it if he keeps earning it on the track/ match simulation.

For what it's worth reckon Williams cops a week :(.......A spot just opened up :think:

He could grab it with BOTH HANDS.

Last edited:
Better kick, better more effective at stoppages, better mark, better speed. Slightly weaker endurance, less forward nous.

But Murphy is the one replacing Gibbons: Fogarty's on the bench. Look at the midfield depth in that team, look at the number of players who can actually run defensively, can actually spread from the stoppage.

The thing that puts fog over Gibbo for me is that he sticks his tackles. And gets lots of them.

I've never seen him play more confidently and capably. Maybe he wasn't in the coaches plans as of two weeks ago, but you cannot ignore that kind of form.

He was collecting possessions for fun, and running both ways.
I agree
First time I’ve seen why he was such an early pick. He even got back in defence and was willing to put his body on the line.
If his confidence continues to grow he could be a long term classy wingman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back