Our captains need to step up

Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves
Why was it done in the first place? Pretty sure aside from us and Saints, we're the only clubs with co-captains.

It was both when Docherty and Patrick Cripps were on the cusp of multiple AA. It was hard to decide which one, Docherty playing out of his mind in 2017 before 2 recos. Cripps coming off his brilliant 2018 season.

I think people are too harsh on Docherty, they forget he is coming off 2 knee recos.

Jamie007

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh
Weitering

Kthanksbye.
I'd be one for handing the captaincy to Walsh next year if possible and telling Cripps and Docherty they aren't consistent enough.
I personally now think Cripps is having second thoughts about his future. If he's as keen as he has said then he should have signed by now (hope I'm wrong). Maybe all this is playing on his mind and causing this form slump.
Docherty through no fault of his own isn't the same player he was. Dropping chest marks that cost goals and kicking the ball out on the full regularly must be soul destroying for the team to watch from their captain. It would also shatter his confidence.
Walsh is so consistent and will only get better. He will demand high standards especially at training from everyone and I hope he captains the club as soon as he can. Age is no barrier for him as he has come in from an 18 year old and been the best trainer and one of the best number one draft picks of all time. He is professional as hell and is so respected by his team mates and the opposition.

Cripps nees a break just to concentrate on being a great player again.
In saying that he will probably captain the club for another 10 years.

thebluenewdeal

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
*Caveat* I am talking about their physical preparation...

How little we forget their preparation heading into the season. Doch just came back from a cancer scare and an ankle procedure, Crippa came off shoulder surgery and whatever niggle he picked up in preseason which I picked up on during that time. They haven’t been at their best, no doubt but they’re professionals and I do expect them to turn it around rather quickly. Got a 7 day break heading into Brisbane and an 8 day break heading into Essendon without any travel. This will be a great freshen up for both our captains. I really do believe they can lead us forward but they’ve got to front up early in games and the rest will take care of itself.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Cripps and Doc had plenty of it against Port, if you look at the stats sheet it looks like they did well. But there's more to it than racking up numbers. The game against Port illustrated that. We had more inside 50s and shots but the way we used the ball we were never a chance and the gulf between us and Port in terms of ball use was startling.

In my opinion our two leaders need to step up. Cripps kicking for goal is atrocious. He may have kicked a couple set shots a week or two ago but against a top team in Port in a litmus test his missed set shot from point blank in front was just unacceptable. What kind of captain misses shots like that? And Doc has has some terrible one on one contests early in recent weeks , contests where he should have easily punched the ball to spoil but hasn't been able to and has been out marked. Like Cripps' miss Doc's pathetic one on one effort happened early in the games.

These failing set the tone early in games. It's simply not good enough from our so called leaders. Think of what the word Lead means!! Just think about it. Neither of these two are performing at a level I'd expect from a Carlton captain. They both need to step it up big time. It's 22 players but you need your leaders excelling and right now our leaders have disappointed especially early in games.
Sadly I have much more faith in Cottrell
As a footballer than Dow and look at the games differential.

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd be one for handing the captaincy to Walsh next year if possible and telling Cripps and Docherty they aren't consistent enough.
I personally now think Cripps is having second thoughts about his future. If he's as keen as he has said then he should have signed by now (hope I'm wrong). Maybe all this is playing on his mind and causing this form slump.
Docherty through no fault of his own isn't the same player he was. Dropping chest marks that cost goals and kicking the ball out on the full regularly must be soul destroying for the team to watch from their captain. It would also shatter his confidence.
Walsh is so consistent and will only get better. He will demand high standards especially at training from everyone and I hope he captains the club as soon as he can. Age is no barrier for him as he has come in from an 18 year old and been the best trainer and one of the best number one draft picks of all time. He is professional as hell and is so respected by his team mates and the opposition.

I'm a massive believer in the team game and as soon as a team focuses on a player as the messiah they are in trouble (Carey, Martin aside). Brisbane lions in their 3-peat, Hawthorne, Richmond, early cats 80's, 90's Carlton - briliant teams.

Then you have Carlton focusing on Fevola - ugh. Cats focusing on Selwood, Danger and Abblett. Melbourne with the Jack Watts. Murphy and Gibbs !!

Teams will win you a flag - messiahs wont.

AndyWalkersGirl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2006
The Apple Isle.
AFL Club
Carlton
Crippa must be carrying a load of stress or something. The stuff with his gf maybe on his mind. Doc is coming back from two knee recos. I can understand why neither is having an outstanding year. But, if they’re not up to it, they need help so they can be up to it, or they need to step down.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Crippa must be carrying a load of stress or something. The stuff with his gf maybe on his mind. Doc is coming back from two knee recos. I can understand why neither is having an outstanding year. But, if they’re not up to it, they need help so they can be up to it, or they need to step down.
And no shame in that
Both good captains
Even if I've always hated with a passion 2 captains. Who are you playing for ?

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Pretty sure that's what I said.

Well, I was thinking it, anyway.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
*Caveat* I am talking about their physical preparation...

How little we forget their preparation heading into the season. Doch just came back from a cancer scare and an ankle procedure, Crippa came off shoulder surgery and whatever niggle he picked up in preseason which I picked up on during that time. They haven’t been at their best, no doubt but they’re professionals and I do expect them to turn it around rather quickly. Got a 7 day break heading into Brisbane and an 8 day break heading into Essendon without any travel. This will be a great freshen up for both our captains. I really do believe they can lead us forward but they’ve got to front up early in games and the rest will take care of itself.
That's fair.

Back