List Mgmt. Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Ablett is the GOAT, in my opinion (I wasn't around to watch Matthews, Carey, etc.). Put him anywhere on the field and he'd dominate. Unfortunately, his time up on the Gold Coast has tarnished his legacy

My answer to the question: Walsh is Judd MK2

I have Ablett Snr as the most talented/spectacular player I ever saw. His 89 finals series was incredible. If I was picking a side to win it would be Carey ahead of Matthews and Kouta at his peak.

My old man said Ablett Snr was the best of the modern era but wasn't close to Coleman

despite all the debate, i have no doubt that our list has an imbalance, with a lack of small forwards.

It may be that we have simply not had the recruiting staff to effectively recruited across the whole spectrum and focused on talls and then mids to ensure we have made the very best choices in those recruiting priorities. So from there we ended up taking Stocker as we put a lot of work into mids and really liked him as one of the options.

SOS has nearly taken less "small forwards" than those last recruiting clowns took key forwards. Owies and Lebois are the only two draft pics i see as small forwards (Possibly interchangeable with small defenders as they require somewhat similar skill sets)

In the past when we had the three amigo's shredding it up the knock was that we lacked endurance and forwards that can rotate through the midfield. Generally lightning speed is a characteristic of a small forward and often inversely correspondent to endurance (you kind either one or the other to some extent)

it would definitely be nice to have a couple of small forwards on the list developing and either playing AFL or VFL, there has been little resources put into small forwards (only a few rookie spots) and now we are filling those holes with mids.

SOS is building the list from the ground up, get the chassis and the big V8 in place first and then look for a pretty body kit.

despite all the debate, i have no doubt that our list has an imbalance, with a lack of small forwards.

It may be that we have simply not had the recruiting staff to effectively recruited across the whole spectrum and focused on talls and then mids to ensure we have made the very best choices in those recruiting priorities. So from there we ended up taking Stocker as we put a lot of work into mids and really liked him as one of the options.

SOS has nearly taken less "small forwards" than those last recruiting clowns took key forwards. Owies and Lebois are the only two draft pics i see as small forwards (Possibly interchangeable with small defenders as they require somewhat similar skill sets)

In the past when we had the three amigo's shredding it up the knock was that we lacked endurance and forwards that can rotate through the midfield. Generally lightning speed is a characteristic of a small forward and often inversely correspondent to endurance (you kind either one or the other to some extent)

it would definitely be nice to have a couple of small forwards on the list developing and either playing AFL or VFL, there has been little resources put into small forwards (only a few rookie spots) and now we are filling those holes with mids.

SOS is building the list from the ground up, get the chassis and the big V8 in place first and then look for a pretty body kit.
Good post

We've got every other base covered in terms of emerging talent, except really for small forwards

The coaches appear bullish on Polson - pressure, pressure, pressure - but I'm not convinced. Gibbo, Owies and Lebois don't really get me excited either. Cunners is one, if they keep him up forward ...

Given we're likely to trade our first-rounder this year, I think this year SOS will be targeting one of the following (in order of personal preference), all of whom can pinch-hit in the midfield:

1. Jack Martin (please, oh please)
  2. Jade Gresham
  3. Jack Billings
  4. Nick Haynes (he's exactly the type I'm talking about, but GWS love him down back)
  5. Kamdyn Mcintosh
  6. Nakia Cockatoo
  7. Darcy Parish
  8. Stephen Hill (could do a Gary Ablett)
  9. Brandon Ellis
  10. Rhys Mathieson
  11. Shia Bolton

Midfielders averaging 20+ disposals per game (minimum 2 games) thus far:

1. Cripps (31.8)
2. Murphy (26.8)
3. Walsh (26.2)
4. SPS (22.0)
5. Fisher (21.6)

Awesome.

Cuningham has only played 1 game and gathered 22 disposals, so may come into this group soon.

The next group of players to get into this bracket:

6. Dow (19.0)
7. Setterfield (16.3)

Last year, for comparison...:

1. Cripps (29.6)
2. Murphy (26.0)
3. E. Curnow (25.4)
4. Kerridge (21.2)

So refreshing!

UPDATE - July 2019

With the recent massive strides taken by one Will Setterfield, I think it's a good time to re-visit our discussions about our midfield. How is it performing? How is it shaping up? Who are the key players and what are their roles?

My view on the future is that we will be drawing from the following players

Descending Age, Full Timers (current age) [age in 3 years]:
Curnow (29) [32] I think he will play 3 more years (or at least until he starts getting injured)
Cripps (24) [27]
Gibbons (24) [27]
Setterfield (21) [24]
SPS (21) [24]
Fisher (21) [24]
Dow (19) [22]
LOB (19) [22]
Walsh (19) [22]
Stocker (19) [22]

Potential Mids:
Cuningham (22) [25]
Kennedy (22) [25]
JSOS (21) [24]
Docherty (25) [28]
Deluca (23) [26]

Disclaimer: I've excluded the likes of Lang and Polson for this exercise. I don't rate them but if you do, don't kill me just post your own.

So in 2022, I think we will have the best midfield in the league.

We will have Cripps and Gibbons in their absolute prime at 27
We will have the draft class of 2016 trio: SPS, Fisher and Setterfield at 24, dominating each week
We will also have the exciting qurtet of Dow, LOB, Walsh, Stocker on the cusp of their primes, but with their bodies filled out. Walsh could be a top 10 mid of the comp by then too
We'll also still have Curnow at 32 playing the elder statesman role.

Add to that we still have the part timers like Cuningham, Kennedy, JSOS, Docherty and Deluca who will all be in their prime age.

"Who's gonna stop the Looooosh!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back