Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree about professionalism, but not joining you on the Bolton follow through. Not a buyer of unreliable testimony. Where there's smoke there might also be a smoker. Vested interests and agendas turn up all over the joint.

You're right in what you say.
It does though depend on just how much information one has at hand and how they put the pieces together.
It also depends on what you cite as unreliable information, although even the horses mouth isn't always 100% reliable......see your bolded.

You will notice though if something positive is planted on this board about our club, we can't digest it quick enough.
If it's something we don't want to hear though.............different story isn't it?

Anyway, people can put forward whatever they want to put forward and it's up to the reader to take it or leave it. No harm done.

When did MLG appoint himself onto the committee for appointing the new coach?
Didn't it start off with Judd, LLoyd, Liddle, Campbell and a possible outsider...............presto.............MLG :)

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
You're right in what you say.
It does though depend on just how much information one has at hand and how they put the pieces together.
It also depends on what you cite as unreliable information, although even the horses mouth isn't always 100% reliable......see your bolded.

You will notice though if something positive is planted on this board about our club, we can't digest it quick enough.
If it's something we don't want to hear though.............different story isn't it?

Anyway, people can put forward whatever they want to put forward and it's up to the reader to take it or leave it. No harm done.

When did MLG appoint himself onto the committee for appointing the new coach?
Didn't it start off with Judd, LLoyd, Liddle, Campbell and a possible outsider...............presto.............MLG :)

I think he should be involved, it's about the most important decision a club makes.

I think he should be involved, it's about the most important decision a club makes.

Maybe, but it's funny he wasn't there from the get-go, or maybe I just didn't hear right.

How do we think the panel will function?
MLG listens at a distance.......Liddle a little closer and signs off on the deal.......Campbell a sounding board......leaving Judd and LLoyd to make the decision?
Will everyone have the same weight applied to their Vote?

Doro

Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Maybe, but it's funny he wasn't there from the get-go, or maybe I just didn't hear right.

How do we think the panel will function?
MLG listens at a distance.......Liddle a little closer and signs off on the deal.......Campbell a sounding board......leaving Judd and LLoyd to make the decision?
Will everyone have the same weight applied to their Vote?

I think they have a discussion and form a consensus. You have a recruitment expert, a recent retiree, head of football, CEO and prez. Plenty of knowledge and viewpoints there. No idea why MLG wasn't originally named in the panel.

I think they have a discussion and form a consensus. You have a recruitment expert, a recent retiree, head of football, CEO and prez. Plenty of knowledge and viewpoints there. No idea why MLG wasn't originally named in the panel.

Maybe, but not sure that can always be achieved across 5 panelists.
Lloyd, being the football manager and Judd with his portfolio and understanding of football matters should take precedence.
Liddle may need to be involved for the numbers and no problem Campbell being involved as a club 'outsider'

Just not sure what MLG brings along to the table though? He has every right to be there but what's he really got? Not another 'gut-feel' FFS. :)

Doro

Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Lloyd, being the football manager and Judd with his portfolio and understanding of football matters should take precedence.
Liddle may need to be involved for the numbers and no problem Campbell being involved as a club 'outsider'

Just not sure what MLG brings along to the table though? He has every right to be there but what's he really got? Not another 'gut-feel' FFS. :)

MLG is the chairman of the board for a start. Brings business acumen and a direct link to the whole club. They picked their own panel so reaching a consensus should be achievable.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Eskie, we can all choose to believe what we want to believe and most people will naturally gravitate towards what the positive and want they want to hear.
This 'stuff' as you say has been floating about for weeks and well before Boltons sacking. There has been a lot going on. This alone is not hard to work out.

I understand that some don't want to discuss it and this is a whole new future now post-Bolton, but no need to ridicule some that are interested in the bigger picture as to what's going on at our club. There are many pieces at a football club and some pieces can be intertwined. If indeed SOS is staying, that's great as a display of disunity won't do us any favours as BlueGum understands all too well.

Anyway, we have a new coach to appoint and maybe we leave it at that.
I thought we had left it at that. Only seems to be you still rattling the skeleton cupboard..........

Last edited:
The business of an AFL Club is to win games. Win games and everyone is happy and the future is bright. Lose 40 games straight and all you have done is a big poo poo in your own living room - and everyone shares in the odour.

When Cripps hires Diesel off his own bat to give him and Dow some private coaching...that is all I needed to know about what players thought about certain aspects of coaching going on at Carlton....or the 'value' they place on it...

I don't subscribe to the theory that a coach has to have played at the highest level or been a champion player to be a good coach - but it wouldn't hurt if that same coach had some sort of credible assistance in going about his business. Bolton's first year wasn't too bad - or was it Craig's first and last year we were looking at ? Seven games wasn't it? What chances 7 games won this year? 3 years on?

After Ratten/Malthouse and Bolton regimes - one man is standing strong - John Barker - coach killer off field. I wont name the obvious coach killer(s) on field with similar pedigrees of 'loyalty' to the Club - 'yeah naah' not a buyer of that narrative on here - 'loyalty' BS.

Don't know what Judd's job is - except to be a 'credible' voice on TV for the indefensible - of course it is easier to do that than actually put your hand up to be an assistant coach- then again I guess there is more money to be made doing other things - Directorships are non paying gigs - so lets not kid ourselves - you get what you pay for - Boards don't run a Club - they appoint and pay professionals to do that. Boards get 'reflected' glory after their appointments have done the work - or they get painted as hopeless failures - after the fact.

So the president can get a big tick for memberships - but a question mark over on field performance- easy call for him to make -regarding Bolton - clearly it was all his fault as the coach wasn't it?

You'd think if Bolton was 'the' problem - the Club may have provided some assistance and guidance - instead it delivered a poltergeist from yesterday sitting behind him sometimes on game day ...seriously hilarious stuff - just like the Club allowed another ghost of yesterday's dirt to sit on the box when Malthouse was coaching - Edelstein or whatever his name was.

So Carlton the famous Blues reckon that the best way to attract Shiel from Sydney to Melbourne is to fly him up in a chartered jet to see some pokie king in Queensland...LOL

No - the best way to attract any decent player is for them to feel that they will be playing alongside other decent players and being coached by people who have a track record of knowing what they are doing. That will never change because that is how players think.

For mine the only thing(s) left to see before I know the Club is on a positive momentum train are:

1. One or two developed mids a decent small forward
2. Replacements for Murphy/Simpson/Thomas; and
3. Cover for Docherty/Keruzer

but above all else- retention of Mr P.Cripps -and I suspect the last one was the centre of the circle and background regarding the last month's shenanigans.

Korn

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The last few coaches we had were:

Wayne Britain - Inexperienced
Dennis Pagan - very experienced, old school.
Brett Ratten - Inexperienced
Mick Malthouse - very experienced, old school.
Brandon Bolton - Inexperienced

I would like to go for someone in between inexperienced and very experienced this time, so someone like Brad Scott would be good.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
The last few coaches we had were:

Wayne Britain - Inexperienced
Dennis Pagan - very experienced, old school.
Brett Ratten - Inexperienced
Mick Malthouse - very experienced, old school.
Brandon Bolton - Inexperienced

I would like to go for someone in between inexperienced and very experienced this time, so someone like Brad Scott would be good.

he’s coached for 10 years after playing for 12. How experienced is experience?

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Dunno if he will be any good or not, but after watching tonight's game i am convinced we need a coach that can instill some back bone and pure aggressive and uncompromising mongrel into our players.
I am voting B Scott.
No team he coaches will sit back and get pushed a around.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Dunno if he will be any good or not, but after watching tonight's game i am convinced we need a coach that can instill some back bone and pure aggressive and uncompromising mongrel into our players.
I am voting B Scott.
No team he coaches will sit back and get pushed a around.
We get pushed off the ball to easy and not enough people willing to tackle. Cost us dearly tonight

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apologies for the intrusion guys.

Just saw Stephen Silvani at my hotel I'm staying at in Perth... :think:

Ross Lyon to the blues? Or SOS to the dockers?

mmhau

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I like Teague game plan. It’s suits our our tall forwards we have. The game plan is exciting but will be frustrating at time as we will have plenty of skill errors.

I want a coach that coaches for
The jumper and who has passion. Scott, Roos don’t sit with me well. Lyon I’m note sure about.

At this stage I’m thinking ratten, Voss or Teague with either Roos or someone like that as director of coaching.

jonob1995

Debutant
Jun 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Apologies for the intrusion guys.

Just saw Stephen Silvani at my hotel I'm staying at in Perth... :think:

Ross Lyon to the blues? Or SOS to the dockers?
Hi Mate, as a list manager and talent spotter, SOS was most probably in Perth watching the u18 game that was on at Optus Stadium before the freo game... thats all there is too it

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
This post has not aged well.

Do you still feel that way now?
Yep the club has leadership issues off field in a big way.. Not one thing has changed other than the pressure for wins has been taken away by sacking Bolton. Teague gets them going for a half of footy and that is supposed to negate my comments? Come on - we have played the same as in most other games this year as the last two games. We have destabilised the club again through impatience and a lack of ability at board level to hold their nerve. Weak leadership. I have been very positive about CFC since joining here last year and over the last ten years as well after mistake after mistake. Now I see us in the bottom 4 for the next 3+ years before Cripps leaves to win a flag in the west.

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Post has aged like warm milk
Sorry Happydude but I haven’t seen the cream rise to the top as yet..
We played a good half against the Lions (no different to how we played v dogs early season) and then were beaten by dogs last night and were lucky to be in it. Nothing has changed mate... other than a club run by weak and impatient individuals.. end result - destabilising the club and more pain next year and beyond.

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

MLG should not be involved. He seems to have no idea whatsoever. If he’s a smart businessman - he needs to sit in the background and focus on using that nous to bring in the best credentialed individuals to suit each role available and then let them do their job.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Sorry Happydude but I haven’t seen the cream rise to the top as yet..
We played a good half against the Lions (no different to how we played v dogs early season) and then were beaten by dogs last night and were lucky to be in it. Nothing has changed mate... other than a club run by weak and impatient individuals.. end result - destabilising the club and more pain next year and beyond.

Something that has changed (in my eyes) is the players look to be more relaxed and enjoying themselves a lot more, we have scored more and in both games we have fought back when in the past i don't think we would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back