Ovens and King Football League 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

From what i have been told the AGM was a disgrace. The chairman or the board did not even acknowledge that Tatong and Swanpool were not in the fixture next year. As far as i am aware the has no officiall notification to the clubs either, this is just a disgraceful and cowardly act by the board.
While I didn't attend, having been on a number of boards/committees I would've thought it reasonable that the O&K Board thank the two outgoing clubs for their contribution & acknowledge it was inevitable the review process was going to produce an outcome that would probably anger & disappoint some.
So are you saying they never even bothered to mention either Tatong or Swanpool?

i have heard that goorambat are struggling for numbers .. this is starting to look like a poorly organized circus please when will questions be answered?????

i have heard that goorambat are struggling for numbers .. this is starting to look like a poorly organized circus please when will questions be answered?????

It is a poorly organised circus and John O'Donohue is the ringmaster. His rationalitasion plan and underhanded tacktics is going to stuff football in the Benalla District. I have heard that a lot of Goorambat people are not happy about the actions of thier president and jumping into bed with O'Donohue and that is why they are leaving.
O'Donohue should left the BDFL alone.

Nonch, whats the reasoning behind scheduling round 1 the same weekend as the wdca grand final? More good work by the powers that be, deserve anothee big pat on the back

A very odd decision CC. In fact Moyhu v Glenrowan was actually scheduled under lights at the showgrounds at the very same time as the WDCA GF will be being played there! The location will change but the day will not, so there could be a bit of a stink being kicked up by the Hoppers considering the number of their players who are involved with Bruck and will most likely contest GFs.

Hey guys/fellow feminine Nazi ;) I'm from PDFNL so watching with some interest. Just because a decision seems to have been made does that mean you need to accept it? I don't know enough of the circumstances to comment so I am interested to hear what you all think should happen. It's your league remember. Should Tatong and Swanpool be allowed to merge and leave goorambat stand alone for a season. Or should the three way merger go ahead but the home base be different. I don't know your grounds etc but you do. Are there other options? If you really believe J O''D is wrong then you need to speak up.
I just like to see small community clubs given every possible chance of survival in some form but more importantly treated with respect and dignity. Heavens sake their clubs have just died and no one outside their own clubs seems to give a hoot, that's just sad as we all know just how important our clubs are to us. from what I'm reading Tatong and Swanpool are being treated very poorly. If nothing else that needs to be addressed with the powers that be.
Cheers

A very odd decision CC. In fact Moyhu v Glenrowan was actually scheduled under lights at the showgrounds at the very same time as the WDCA GF will be being played there! The location will change but the day will not, so there could be a bit of a stink being kicked up by the Hoppers considering the number of their players who are involved with Bruck and will most likely contest GFs.

A very bizarre decision! I would have thought supporting other sporting groups would be good for the league. But to put the first round of footy on this same weekend is ordinary. It will take people away from watching the grand final as a fair few people will be involved in local footy. Not to mention that some footy clubs as you say notch may be without players.

This can have a massive flow on effect on teams for the rest of the year. Everyone wants to get off to a very competitive start. Missing half your senior side due to cricket finals puts a lot if pressure on the club. Numbers are low at the best of times these days so to try and find players for the seconds will be a battle in its self!

I could go on........

But that's enough for one day!

Very disappointed

We appreciate your centiment wouldilietoyou, although we have exhausted every avenue to remain in the O&K league we have appealed to AFL VIC and that was dismissed without reason. JOhn O'Donohoue and the O&K Board knew the outcome of the "Review" before it even started, and all the review was used for was to trawl for information to back up thier position and if they could find the information they would just exaggerate or fabricate the information to suit them self. O'Donohue is too arrogant/stupid to appreciate what benefit small community clubs have on society. A number of feasable alternative were put to him but he just won't listen to reason. The O&K Board have been silent through the whole process which is very poor from on thier behalf.

Midfielder, have your clubs put the feasible alternatives up to your fellow clubs to consider?
Your board seems out of touch clashing first round with cricket grand finals is ridiculous we are country communities of course people will be playing summer sports they should have checked that, so don't really see them being much help.
John won't listen unless you have a strong backing from your fellow clubs. John doesn't appear
to have given any of you time to get your heads around their decision and discuss options amongst yourselves.
If I hadn't already I would put together the best presentation of alternatives I could come up with and try to call a meeting of club delegates ,just one last roll of the dice. At least then it's a bit more transparent and you have had your say.

From what i was told the lack of response at the AGM from the other teams when a Tatong member address the meeting indicates that they are not really interested in our plight. Each club has been written to outlining the circumstances but to no avail. O'Donohue and the Baord just bully and intimidate so noone wants to buck the system.

Goorambat have announced Travers Nolan as the senior coach for 2014. Good bloke, but would hate the have the challenge that lies ahead for him.

With regards to Swanpool and Tatong and the predicament they are in , I think there is two ways to look at it and I'm not saying either way is right but their tends to be a general view over the last day that Tatong and Swanpool have been harshly dealt . That may be the case and I fully understand how the Clubs would be feeling but there is another side . If you are being realistic there was always a certain amount of surety that the cards were going to fall this way right from early on . Regardless of the damage done to their local communities this decision was always on the cards and for whatever these 2 Clubs were always under the pump probably mainly due to there geographical positions . What I think the committees have been guilty of if nothing else is an inability to read the play and to protect their Clubs Heritage and to negotiate whatever deal they had to , to best preserve their Heritage . The Club is bigger than any individual and Egos should have been left at the door and the Committee should have realised , which in fairness is probably the truth , that whether it was this year or in five years the Clubs were under the Pump and acted accordingly . I also question what makes the Current Presidents and or committees based on their performance of the last 2-5 years think they have the ability to change the Situation when they've had that time to change things . Things have got worse .

I think what the current Presidents have done is put there Egos in front of the Club . They had a duty to read the play and get the best deal possible for their Club . I know for a fact that one of the so Called Power Clubs approached both Clubs early on about the Prospect of a 3 way merger and were hell bent on protecting the heritage of the 2 Clubs . They were quickly told where to go by Both Presidents and they did not even wish to discuss it . This was incredibly ignorant because if they had of spoken to that Club they may still be in existence in a very fair even 3 way merger .

Instead of looking like Progressive Presidents Hell bent on best preserving the History of their Club out of a situation that was unfortunately doomed ( possibly not their fault ) from the start , they go down as the Presidents and Committee who missed opportunities and allowed their Clubs fold and never to be seen again . Not saying that it is fair or right but its the facts and the realism of the situation was not and is still not embraced by both Clubs and in 12 months they may look back at options that were Presented to them and wish they were a great deal smarter , embracing and open minded .

It is the truth and no point dealing in anything else !

How do u know that's the truth???are you the pres of either of those clubs??or are you the pres of the so called" power club" that offered an "even" three way merger???which we all know is never even.and well done to Trav Nolan on the top job at Goorambat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a whisper the VCFL are putting pressure on Greta to merge . They are very worried about their lack of support , performance and infrastructure . Sad to see such a grand old Club in trouble and having its sustainability questioned ..If true .
Lets get behind Greta a bit its not their fault they have no Town and are in the middle of a paddock !?!??! I have been shocked by there performances and lack of supporter attendance but no one wants them to go ...Maybe its a sign of the times , its not a year to be poor in with the review taking place . Lets hope Greta can pick up a bit in the back half of the year and maybe beat an improving Swanpool in Round 12 as looking at their draw that may be it .. Come on Greta

There is no easy answer ...Don't wind up Clubs , encourage them to merge , if neither happens and a club folds let it happen naturally ...Too much talk , to many options , none are right .If a Club wants to keep going and they believe they can , let them have a crack

FranklinGWS these were posts you made in June 2013. Interesting change of opinion considering now you are saying the writing was on the wall ages ago for these clubs. Care to explain your change of opinion? Or were you merely referring to Greta?
Also from the first post you seem concerned Greta may be forced to merge and now claim to know for a FACT that the two clubs in question were approaced for a merger by a "Power Club". Can you clarify if this is indeed first hand knowledge so you can indeed claim to know as FACT and was Greta or is this second hand from another club?. Just interesting coincidence there.
Also I sincerely hope you are not closely related to Greta_23_Goals who came on here with a blatantly sexist attack on the President of Tatong..... from what I'm reading the post above attacking the egos of the Presidents is only very slightly different in context to those posts.

If we are dealing in truth you won't mind revealing a bit more info to us thanks.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Heard a whisper the VCFL are putting pressure on Greta to merge . They are very worried about their lack of support , performance and infrastructure . Sad to see such a grand old Club in trouble and having its sustainability questioned ..If true .
Lets get behind Greta a bit its not their fault they have no Town and are in the middle of a paddock !?!??! I have been shocked by there performances and lack of supporter attendance but no one wants them to go ...Maybe its a sign of the times , its not a year to be poor in with the review taking place . Lets hope Greta can pick up a bit in the back half of the year and maybe beat an improving Swanpool in Round 12 as looking at their draw that may be it .. Come on Greta

There is no easy answer ...Don't wind up Clubs , encourage them to merge , if neither happens and a club folds let it happen naturally ...Too much talk , to many options , none are right .If a Club wants to keep going and they believe they can , let them have a crack

FranklinGWS these were posts you made in June 2013. Interesting change of opinion considering now you are saying the writing was on the wall ages ago for these clubs. Care to explain your change of opinion? Or were you merely referring to Greta?
Also from the first post you seem concerned Greta may be forced to merge and now claim to know for a FACT that the two clubs in question were approaced for a merger by a "Power Club". Can you clarify if this is indeed first hand knowledge so you can indeed claim to know as FACT and was Greta or is this second hand from another club?. Just interesting coincidence there.
Also I sincerely hope you are not closely related to Greta_23_Goals who came on here with a blatantly sexist attack on the President of Tatong..... from what I'm reading the post above attacking the egos of the Presidents is only very slightly different in context to those posts.

If we are dealing in truth you won't mind revealing a bit more info to us thanks.
[/QUOTE][/quote]

What a load of crap!!!
Our club has one bad year on the football side of things we're talking "whispers" of mergers. The "A Grade" netballers have played off in the last 4 Grand Finals.
Now I'm not the President but I'm on the committee at Greta & have been for the past four years. I can categorically state that to my knowledge no one from our club has held any formal (or informal) merger discussions. Either initiated by us or other parties. Not once in the recent two O&K review interviews was the topic raised. Not by the VCFL, not the AFL, not Carlton, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Oodnadatta or any other sporting body!!! Is that clear enough?????

Sorry there Bunyip, my post was directed at Franklin GWS, I hope its clearer now, but he posted about the whispers of your club being forced to merger back in June, I was reposting those posts (not very well I see). I now see from other posts he actually has a bit of a go at your club a fair bit, which says his credability is pretty poor. I see he has a history on here of throwing insults at management of clubs so I don't think I should read too much into his post until such time as he gives clarification of which club he is connected to and if indeed what he claims to be Fact is fact.
Sorry for any confusion there Bunyip it wasn't intended.

Sorry there Bunyip, my post was directed at Franklin GWS, I hope its clearer now, but he posted about the whispers of your club being forced to merger back in June, I was reposting those posts (not very well I see). I now see from other posts he actually has a bit of a go at your club a fair bit, which says his credability is pretty poor. I see he has a history on here of throwing insults at management of clubs so I don't think I should read too much into his post until such time as he gives clarification of which club he is connected to and if indeed what he claims to be Fact is fact.
Sorry for any confusion there Bunyip it wasn't intended.
Mate, apology accepted. Regardless, anyone else who reads this may wish to take note of my message because for the first & probably only time on this forum I'm sure I speak for the whole committee & not as an individual. Am probably giving my identity away to some extent but if this rubbish stops then it will be worth it. I know exactly what position the club is in & nothings changed. We've been punching above our weight for almost 70 years. Tomorrows Chronicle will introduce our new senior football coach & we look forward to improvement in 2014. We should have a brand new netball court & practice court installed over summer. Then we'll focus on improving our amenities at the sporting complex in consultation with the other user groups. Yes it's hard without a town & many local businesses to support us but that's our lot, but it's also what makes our club so original & so special given our success. (2nd to Moyhu in the number of premierships won in the O&K).
So take it from someone "in the know", any talk of Greta merging is rubbish.
*******************************End of story*********************************

For starters I don't know how you took offense to that it was pretty clear that it was a re post but anyway what you should be worrying about is the fact that when you are in the gun it doesn't matter how much money you are spending on your facilities or how many flags you have won in the past or how good your committee is etc etc etc you are going to get screwed because that's what they want to do regardless!!!!!!!!they have given Tatong and swanpool the a.se it's now only a matter of time before Greta,nth wang,Goorambat,and whoever else are in the same boat,the clubs need to rally around and get rid of these administrators before they cause more carnage to OUR communities.it seems that if you aren't willing to spend crazy money every year to have a good side your names on the list

For starters I don't know how you took offense to that it was pretty clear that it was a re post but anyway what you should be worrying about is the fact that when you are in the gun it doesn't matter how much money you are spending on your facilities or how many flags you have won in the past or how good your committee is etc etc etc you are going to get screwed because that's what they want to do regardless!!!!!!!!they have given Tatong and swanpool the a.se it's now only a matter of time before Greta,nth wang,Goorambat,and whoever else are in the same boat,the clubs need to rally around and get rid of these administrators before they cause more carnage to OUR communities.it seems that if you aren't willing to spend crazy money every year to have a good side your names on the list

I'm going to take offence every time crap like this gets posted, reposted...whatever.
Because it is simply not true. You're free to speculate but we aren't in the "same boat" & never have been. A 14 team comp was a huge risk the O&K felt obligated to take at the time. Name me another country football league with 14 teams? Not surprisingly 12 is usually the maximum with sadly mergers being a regular occurrence elsewhere to ensure teams survive in some way.
Thanks for your concern though & your advice on telling us what we should be worried about.

I'm going to take offence every time crap like this gets posted, reposted...whatever.
Because it is simply not true. You're free to speculate but we aren't in the "same boat" & never have been. A 14 team comp was a huge risk the O&K felt obligated to take at the time. Name me another country football league with 14 teams? Not surprisingly 12 is usually the maximum with sadly mergers being a regular occurrence elsewhere to ensure teams survive in some way.
Thanks for your concern though & your advice on telling us what we should be worried about.
Would appear to me that o.k may be 10,or even9 teams by 2016. Bright gone elsewhere? Greta,g.rowan,nth wang merged?
Maybe have a look at pi cola league. I gather teams like katamatite ,katandra,dookie, Katanga, field 4 footy teams? Plus 4 or more netball? Is this correct? They are all small places that compete with not only a major league , gvfl , but also a medium league , Murray fnl.

With regards to Swanpool and Tatong and the predicament they are in , I think there is two ways to look at it and I'm not saying either way is right but their tends to be a general view over the last day that Tatong and Swanpool have been harshly dealt . That may be the case and I fully understand how the Clubs would be feeling but there is another side . If you are being realistic there was always a certain amount of surety that the cards were going to fall this way right from early on . Regardless of the damage done to their local communities this decision was always on the cards and for whatever these 2 Clubs were always under the pump probably mainly due to there geographical positions . What I think the committees have been guilty of if nothing else is an inability to read the play and to protect their Clubs Heritage and to negotiate whatever deal they had to , to best preserve their Heritage . The Club is bigger than any individual and Egos should have been left at the door and the Committee should have realised , which in fairness is probably the truth , that whether it was this year or in five years the Clubs were under the Pump and acted accordingly . I also question what makes the Current Presidents and or committees based on their performance of the last 2-5 years think they have the ability to change the Situation when they've had that time to change things . Things have got worse .

I think what the current Presidents have done is put there Egos in front of the Club . They had a duty to read the play and get the best deal possible for their Club . I know for a fact that one of the so Called Power Clubs approached both Clubs early on about the Prospect of a 3 way merger and were hell bent on protecting the heritage of the 2 Clubs . They were quickly told where to go by Both Presidents and they did not even wish to discuss it . This was incredibly ignorant because if they had of spoken to that Club they may still be in existence in a very fair even 3 way merger .

Instead of looking like Progressive Presidents Hell bent on best preserving the History of their Club out of a situation that was unfortunately doomed ( possibly not their fault ) from the start , they go down as the Presidents and Committee who missed opportunities and allowed their Clubs fold and never to be seen again . Not saying that it is fair or right but its the facts and the realism of the situation was not and is still not embraced by both Clubs and in 12 months they may look back at options that were Presented to them and wish they were a great deal smarter , embracing and open minded .

It is the truth and no point dealing in anything else !

FranklinGWS you have made some pretty serious allegations against the Presidents off Tatong and Swanpool, so I feel you now need to elaborate more detail.

Who was the so called "power club" that approached the two clubs? Which club are you affiliated with yourself?

Note to Tatong & Swanpool readers:
The community realises that the result of the process that the clubs have gone through seems to be flawed and unfair to a certain extent.
That being said...
THE DECISION HAS BEEN MADE! YOU WILL NOT BE IN THE O&K LEAGUE IN 2014 AND BEYOND!
GET OVER IT - STOP WHINING!
Stop concentrating on the past and how you've been treated so badly and start focusing on the future, Picola League or otherwise, so that what has happened now will not happen again.

Thanks.

Would appear to me that o.k may be 10,or even9 teams by 2016. Bright gone elsewhere? Greta,g.rowan,nth wang merged?
Maybe have a look at pi cola league. I gather teams like katamatite ,katandra,dookie, Katanga, field 4 footy teams? Plus 4 or more netball? Is this correct? They are all small places that compete with not only a major league , gvfl , but also a medium league , Murray fnl.
There are no large towns in the KDFL either and we are doing fine with our 13 aside comp, while some clubs have been struggling on the field they seem to be ok off the field and there are no talks of mergers at the moment. I must admit though that the KDFL have been and still are a very well run league with very good administrators..

Who was the so called "power club" that approached the two clubs? Which club are you affiliated with yourself?[/quote]

The 'power' club was Glenrowan. They are obviously aware that they are not sustainable, although that three way merger would have been a takeover as well!

I may be naive and it may of happened or is happening, but I am hearing that clubs now are starting to throw money at netballers??

Will this see the downfall of many clubs as most struggle to keep up with payments for footy let alone netball as well?

I'm not saying the don't deserve it but opens a can of worms that was already half open with money!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back