Ovens & King football 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Alot of committment to play at District League Level as well and if the game can generate it why shouldn't players get a few dollars in their pocket. People pay towatch them too. Your line of thinking would only work if the Competition decided that all Club's we're only to train one night a week and it became more of a kick and giggle comp like Masters Footy but I think your under selling District Football particularly teams that are in the finals action. Standard is quite good.
What do you think about players coming from Melbourne and pocketing $1000 plus a game with no training or commitment? As well as $2000 cash sign on fees. Would want to be bringing a few through the gate to justify that.

What do you think about players coming from Melbourne and pocketing $1000 plus a game with no training or commitment? As well as $2000 cash sign on fees. Would want to be bringing a few through the gate to justify that.
Purely up to the Club and their needs. If the guy is a quality player and quality person that invests in the Club attends Social functions etc it's justifiable. Club's have a choice how they spend their money.

I realise you think the o and m should be paid what I’m asking is do you think that players in every league below them should play for free? TDFL, Hume league, Murray league for example. Or is just players in the o and k that shouldn’t get paid?
Did you think this a few years ago when your tigers were winning 4 flags and paying out the arse for players or is it just a new thing you’ve come up with now that Glenrowan is no more?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I realise you think the o and m should be paid what I’m asking is do you think that players in every league below them should play for free? TDFL, Hume league, Murray league for example. Or is just players in the o and k that shouldn’t get paid?
Did you think this a few years ago when your tigers were winning 4 flags and paying out the arse for players or is it just a new thing you’ve come up with now that Glenrowan is no more?

No not just the o&k, I think our leagues top players are as good as the best in the hfl, tdfl and light years ahead of umfl.
I think any standard of footy below ovens and Murray level, players shouldn’t be paid, that’s leagues across the whole country. Because what happens is average players take advantage and command good money from clubs that are struggling for players. These clubs don’t have much choice as they’re just trying to field a team.
Then players who are far too good for the level just drop back for the cash, which makes for lopsided results. People lose interest and crowd numbers drop. The money accumulated from game day should be used for coaches of all grades, better quality umpires, facility and surface upgrades, better club functions ect.

No not just the o&k, I think our leagues top players are as good as the best in the hfl, tdfl and light years ahead of umfl.
I think any standard of footy below ovens and Murray level, players shouldn’t be paid, that’s leagues across the whole country. Because what happens is average players take advantage and command good money from clubs that are struggling for players. These clubs don’t have much choice as they’re just trying to field a team.
Then players who are far too good for the level just drop back for the cash, which makes for lopsided results. People lose interest and crowd numbers drop. The money accumulated from game day should be used for coaches of all grades, better quality umpires, facility and surface upgrades, better club functions ect.
This information should of been put forth in a committee meeting at your club before the ship was steered into the Bermuda Triangle, not on a forum in retrospect because your club is no more because of it

I’ll agree with you that some players ask for too much money. Especially young blokes who haven’t earned the right to. like the kids who come out of rovers or maggies asking for hundreds of dollars a game, when they’ve hardly played senior footy.
How would you go about recruiting a player to a footy club if you can’t offer them money? Do they go to the club that puts on the best social functions? It will just turn into a social comp and You’ll end up with a league full of idiots getting blind doing drugs every weekend.
Do they go to the club with the best facilities? How would this help clubs like Goorambat, Glenrowan and co that have s**t grounds and rooms? No one would go there.
Like it or not players deserve to get paid. Some put in just as much if not more time then those playing in the o and m, why shouldn’t they be rewarded for all the effort they put in.

What’s peoples thoughts on the possibility of the o&m scrapping the twos Comp and replacing with a senior women’s comp?
It would be the best thing that could happen for the o&k and other district leagues, with over 100 players filtering back through our comps. The 0&m senior teams should have a squad of 35 players picked at the start of the year and the blokes who don’t get regular games align with a district club of choice. That way they are covered if injury’s strike or guys aren’t performing.
It’s only a matter of time and this will happen, and I can’t wait.

What’s peoples thoughts on the possibility of the o&m scrapping the twos Comp and replacing with a senior women’s comp?
It would be the best thing that could happen for the o&k and other district leagues, with over 100 players filtering back through our comps. The 0&m senior teams should have a squad of 35 players picked at the start of the year and the blokes who don’t get regular games align with a district club of choice. That way they are covered if injury’s strike or guys aren’t performing.
It’s only a matter of time and this will happen, and I can’t wait.
There is some merit to the idea but there will always be pros and cons.
For instance what would happen if a Corowa listed player wasn’t getting a game so played for Howlong.
Corowa remain a battler and lose most weeks but Howlong look like pushing for a finals berth. What does the player do when Corowa want him back late in the year?

Last edited:
I’ve been working on team of the decade for quite some time now. A few blokes are slightly out of position due to trying to squeeze all the quality players in, Ive gone with team balance too.
This team here would mix it with the best ovens and Murray teams. A few unlucky to miss out.

FB- Max Scott- Rory Cunningham - Sean Fogarty

HB-Daniel McCormack-Luke Fox- Jason Akermanis

C- Matthew Robinson- Ian Kay- Sam Myors

HF- James Mclounan- Nigel Robinson- Jordan Bradley-

F- Matt Duffy- Richard Leahy- Nathan Hooper

Fol- Karl Norman- Adam Williams- Jaimon Mcgeehan

Int: Daniel Godsmark- Christopher Sussyer, Jeremy Wilson, Jamie Bell

Emerg: Angus Gray, Jamie Allen, Chris Dube.

Honourable mention: Big Cheongy.

Coach Nigel Robinson (4 premierships, think he picked himself here)

only matt robinson, karl norman, luke fox can be in consideration for this team and nigel can be a none playing coach

Sean Fogarty, that just made me laugh out loud. You’ve got no idea!
Myors and Kay, played one season. Can’t say that they set the comp alight either, good but not stand outs. Atleast McClounan kicked huge bag of goals in his one season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Myors and Kay sit in there comfortably. Fogarty was hugely underrated, could have been anything.

Waite had one good year, too many hammy problems and wouldn’t slot into the team. Cheongy could have played afl if he could have got some continuity in to his training.

You would have to be the most annoying person to ever post on here!
And that’s quite an achievement.
Whilst I respect that everyone has an opinion and your idea of team of decade isn’t a bad one to generate some chat.
You just take the piss.

You would have to be the most annoying person to ever post on here!
And that’s quite an achievement.
Whilst I respect that everyone has an opinion and your idea of team of decade isn’t a bad one to generate some chat.
You just take the piss.
How is that team taking the piss? It’s full of high quality players.

ok Who are the best two back pockets of the decade then? I’m picking a team with players in their positions, not just straight up best players. If that was the case none of the backline would have got a gig.

And despite old bruiser being a pain. I like his idea of team of decade.
Not much else happening in world so will generate some chat. I’m sure I will miss people but I will try not take the piss as he has.

B: S Nightgale L Fox M Scott
HB: D McCormick S Williamson A Williams
C: J Wilson K Norman J Bihun
HF: J Stamp B Sessions B Clarke
F: M Duffy R Leahy M Robinson
Foll: C Sussyer N Lebish J Allen
Int: C Dube B Bond R Ussher J Rea

lot of players that have been very good but I thought there best football was before 2010. For example Eames, Balfour, Pell.
CHF was the one I struggled with. Lots of good players but only played it for a year or two. Tried to pick a team with consistently performed for a period of time. Not just players that played not a lot of football. Ie Groth, Aker, Fev, Jon McCormick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back