Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to argue with any of the above, but no doubt the usual club apologists will disagree with most of it.
Yep there is a lot of 'group think' and a lack of objectivity outside of The Over 50's Clique. I think it has a fair bit to do with the fact that some of the kids who post on our board are not truly students of the game.

I would have made a few different selection decisions than Fagan and co. and am all for debate re the merits and alternatives of said selections but I think we have to admit that Chris Fagan and his match committee would have a hell of a lot more information about and insight into the players we are discussing and in 99.9999% of cases they would have a lot more football acumen than any of us here on BF.

Chris Fagan A+
Now Jason, you are a poster who I respect, but an A+? Mate I'd love to be in your class.

The promotion and almost immediate dropping of Robertson, Taylor and Christensen alone would see Fagan sliding down the grade scale. Then you have the dropping and immediate reinstatement of Walker. In each instance we see the coach correcting an error of judgement. If he was on an A+ you would expect to see the players he promoted still in the side.

I think the 'football acumen' thing gets overplayed. I know plenty about politics, despite never having been a politician (although I was on the State Council of the AEU for a number of years) and the same goes for issues around team selection. After over 50 years of watching Australian Rules Football and having paid very close attention to the characteristics and performance of thousands of players, I think many of us on this board have a few clues.

I remember many years ago listening to Robert Walls I think it was, but it might have been David Parkin, talking about his time coaching Fitzroy and the letters he would receive from fans with coaching advice. His said that most of the comments didn't warrant much thought because they were trivial or ill informed, but every now and then he would read something that was well thought through and offered a different perspective on a player and where they were being played. To his credit, he said that on occasion they followed the advice or at the very least, discussed and considered it at match committee level.

It is not logical and it would be a flawed conceit to believe that the coach always knows best and is always right, just as it would be wrong to argue that they are always wrong.

Now Jason, you are a poster who I respect, but an A+? Mate I'd love to be in your class.

The promotion and almost immediate dropping of Robertson, Taylor and Christensen alone would see Fagan sliding down the grade scale. Then you have the dropping and immediate reinstatement of Walker. In each instance we see the coach correcting an error of judgement. If he was on an A+ you would expect to see the players he promoted still in the side.

I think the 'football acumen' thing gets overplayed. I know plenty about politics, despite never having been a politician (although I was on the State Council of the AEU for a number of years) and the same goes for issues around team selection. After over 50 years of watching Australian Rules Football and having paid very close attention to the characteristics and performance of thousands of players, I think many of us on this board have a few clues.

I remember many years ago listening to Robert Walls I think it was, but it might have been David Parkin, talking about his time coaching Fitzroy and the letters he would receive from fans with coaching advice. His said that most of the comments didn't warrant much thought because they were trivial or ill informed, but every now and then he would read something that was well thought through and offered a different perspective on a player and where they were being played. To his credit, he said that on occasion they followed the advice or at the very least, discussed and considered it at match committee level.

It is not logical and it would be a flawed conceit to believe that the coach always knows best and is always right, just as it would be wrong to argue that they are always wrong.
Agree with most of that 3KZ although Fagan has one huge advantage over us on here, he is on the inside. All good though, as I said I'm all for debate and discussion, after all that is what a forum like this is for.

For what it's worth this week I would have taken Rayner out for Keays, McStay out for Wooller and I would also have bought in C.Lyons instead of Matheison.

Hey guys, I was wondering, who would be the oldest poster on our board? I can kick it off- I'm 59...... the Big 60 in November.

Dennis Fagan?
Denis Pagan ? Kevin Dennis? I told you, we are old. Is it Chris Fagan?

Anyway ... thanks morsie. You have restored my faith. On the main board in the current match thread I said we had bad short term memories and then deliberately muffed the coaches name. Well done. If you are over 50, you are automatically in the CLIQUE!

Hey guys, I was wondering, who would be the oldest poster on our board? I can kick it off- I'm 59...... the Big 60 in November.

I'm 57 in November. Len S would win this one (if he is still with us). He's in his seventies. I hope you are ok Len. Let us know.

I am so old I can remember going into the change rooms before the match seeing all these huge hairy men get rubbed down strapped up.Bit confronting for a young lad.

At Bulleen Templestowe they had a big pickling jar full of Juicy Fruit in the change rooms and we used to knick in there an pinch handfuls of them while the Seniors were playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else remember the time of the mascots.I remember dressing up in my full gear and going to Brunswick Street and being allowed to run around with the player whose number I had on my back (19 Ron Harvey) as the players ran onto the ground.He was the strong silent type and said nothing to me and the other kid running around with him.Long loping strides, I could barely keep up.Fitzroy didn't have that many mascots but I seem to remember Richmond had heaps.

As a die hard passionate Lion, enjoying the ride irrespective of the knocks along the way; I call it how I see it and I’ll never apologise if its an unpopular view, but I’ll happily stick my hand up if get it wrong or a player I’ve been critical of turns it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back