Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

They had a post match function today Pope?
Forgot to mention one of the questions from the crowd to Zorko......"Neale or Beams?' To which Zorks replied that question was answered today...

One thing I've been meaning to ask 3KZ - just HOW BIG is it when the Lions play the Pies? I recall speaking with Mobbs a lot in 97-98 about it and he reckoned it was pretty close to street warfare back in the day when it was Lions vs Pies - is that your recollection too? Much of the reading I've done about Fitzroy indicates that the hatred was pretty strong on both sides - the whole Carlton-Collingwood thing appeared to be a development out of the early 70's whereas my understanding of the Fitzroy - Collingwood rivalry suggests it predates that by a few decades.

I was a Brisbane lad and only started watching footy in about 80-81, with the old Match of the Day broadcast on Ch 7, so my understanding of that time is more from reading about it rather than LIVING it. I envy all you guys :D

I went down for 2002 GF and it was certainly...tense at times :) Especially after the final siren - my girl and I hightailed it out of there to the safety of the post match function.
I think the Collingwood v Fitzroy rivalry arose from geographic proximity.The boundary between Fitzroy and Collingwood municipalities ran down the middle of Smith Street.Aparently in the early part of the 20th century there were fights up and down smith Street in the pubs when the two teams played.
Also of course both teams I believe split out of the old Brittania Club so have the same parent.

I think the Collingwood v Fitzroy rivalry arose from geographic proximity.The boundary between Fitzroy and Collingwood municipalities ran down the middle of Smith Street.Aparently in the early part of the 20th century there were fights up and down smith Street in the pubs when the two teams played.
Also of course both teams I believe split out of the old Brittania Club so have the same parent.
They actually threw stones at one another across Smith St...

As an aside, was reading some older posts and was wondering anyone heard from Len S?

Len S
Club Legend · 74
Last seen Dec 29, 2018
Yep I had posted something about Len S earlier. Hope he’s ok. If you are about Len, give us a shout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Here's the problem I have with Fagan's performance so far this year in terms of Team Selection.

He has gone "all in" on too many under performing players - McStay, Cameron, Rayner and Witherden are all getting games despite some very 'variable' form. One has to wonder what it would take for one of these players to be dropped. The fact that three of these players are forwards at a time when Ben Keays is in great form as a forward in the "Ressies" is not a good look for Fagan.

On the other hand, he seems to 'pull the trigger' too quickly on other players. Cutler is the one people seem to be upset about and I have Bastinac in that category. Based on how much slack he has cut his "pets" Cutler was stiff and so was Bastinac. As for dropping Walker last week, that was one of the dumbest things Fagan has ever done. A very silly decision and I don't care how many apologists bleat about team balance etc etc. You don't drop players who are in career best form. When he dropped Walker he was 7th in the League for marks and loads of these were contested intercept marks in defence. The fact that Andrews got murdered after half time against Footscray just made Fagan look worse.

The other problem I see with Fagan is that he returned to the "poison well" selecting Christensen, Robertson and Taylor. The fact that they were quickly dropped indicated to me that he knew he got those calls wrong. Some might add Lester to this list, but I wont.

On the upside, Fagan got it right with Answerth and I think the faith he is showing in Mathieson will be rewarded. It remains to be seen how Hinge goes, but his inclusion is welcome because it is aimed at the future.

If I was awarding a grade, I would have Fagan sitting on a D+

Here's the problem I have with Fagan's performance so far this year in terms of Team Selection.

He has gone "all in" on too many under performing players - McStay, Cameron, Rayner and Witherden are all getting games despite some very 'variable' form. One has to wonder what it would take for one of these players to be dropped. The fact that three of these players are forwards at a time when Ben Keays is in great form as a forward in the "Ressies" is not a good look for Fagan.

On the other hand, he seems to 'pull the trigger' too quickly on other players. Cutler is the one people seem to be upset about and I have Bastinac in that category. Based on how much slack he has cut his "pets" Cutler was stiff and so was Bastinac. As for dropping Walker last week, that was one of the dumbest things Fagan has ever done. A very silly decision and I don't care how many apologists bleat about team balance etc etc. You don't drop players who are in career best form. When he dropped Walker he was 7th in the League for marks and loads of these were contested intercept marks in defence. The fact that Andrews got murdered after half time against Footscray just made Fagan look worse.

The other problem I see with Fagan is that he returned to the "poison well" selecting Christensen, Robertson and Taylor. The fact that they were quickly dropped indicated to me that he knew he got those calls wrong. Some might add Lester to this list, but I wont.

On the upside, Fagan got it right with Answerth and I think the faith he is showing in Mathieson will be rewarded. It remains to be seen how Hinge goes, but his inclusion is welcome because it is aimed at the future.

If I was awarding a grade, I would have Fagan sitting on a D+
Hard to argue with any of the above, but no doubt the usual club apologists will disagree with most of it.

I would have made a few different selection decisions than Fagan and co. and am all for debate re the merits and alternatives of said selections but I think we have to admit that Chris Fagan and his match committee would have a hell of a lot more information about and insight into the players we are discussing and in 99.9999% of cases they would have a lot more football acumen than any of us here on BF.

Chris Fagan A+

Remove this Banner Ad

Back