Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

And another thing Dan McStay fumbled that lay down misere goal because McCarthy did something you never see any more. McCarthy laid, admitted a weak one, a shepherd. If McCarthy had really gone all out to keep his man away from Dan, Dan could have fumbled it a few more times, had a smoke and scored a goal but he was in shock at what McCarthy was doing and did not have enough time to recover.

AC025929-36D0-4374-8917-85B9DCA34CEB.jpeg 123CA778-C2E2-42F3-8D2A-ABD97BE9E76F.jpeg
This was the moment that was most indicative of McStay’s low football IQ. He had 4 options:
1.Rayner has space to lead into and was calling for it.
2. There was a player (Lyons) I think, at the top of 50 leading into the same space.
3. Lachie Neale was completely open and calling for it, with little between him and the goals
4. Oscar was one out in the square with a mismatch.

There were four clear options, and McStay passed it behind Rayner to the Carlton player, basically hitting him on the chest. That was his second last of his five disposals for the game, his last was a hand pass directly to a Carlton player.

Last edited:
View attachment 966373View attachment 966374
This was the moment that was most indicative of McStay’s low football IQ. He had 4 options:
1.Rayner has space to lead into and was calling for it.
2. There was a player (Lyons) I think, at the top of 50 leading into the same space.
3. Lachie Neale was completely open and calling for it, with little between him and the goals
4. Oscar was one out in the square with a mismatch.

There were four clear options, and McStay passed it behind Rayner to the Carlton playet, basically hitting him on the chest. That was his second last if his five disposals fit the game, his last was a hand pass directly to a Carlton player.
It was a miss kick.
It happens!
Especially in the wet.

The fact no Lions players wears a long sleeve jumper (in fact the only player in recent memory that wore one was Ash McGrath and before him, Craig McCrae, Darryl White and very occasionally, Chris Johnson (I know because he gave me his jumper after a game in Perth in 2002)) could be down to Coach Fagan.

I am not sure if you recall, but Alistair Clarkson has long instituted that long sleeve jumpers are barred at Hawthorn. Simply, no Hawk can wear one and it has been that way for many years (Roughead wore one once and went against Clarkson's directive) and is the reason why Chad Wingard can't wear one as he did practically his whole career at Port.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fagan has followed suit given his time at Hawthorn. It could also be a case that our current Lions just don't want to wear them too.

Probably only relevant to the folk that read this thread, but Matt Rendell will be on Open Mike tonight on Fox.

No doubt, will cover more than just his playing days, but hopefully a good half of the episode will be about his time at the Roys.

Will post on the Fitzroy board too.

Doing a welfare check:

How are all you other "oldies" going during this difficult drama we find ourselves in? We are well but it's driving me nuts! I feel like a caged Lion and Lions like to roam free.;)

...and I've just had a disturbing phone conversation with my daughter. She thinks Daniel has done a good job, no-one could have done better! My tongue is very sore from having to bite hard.o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably only relevant to the folk that read this thread, but Matt Rendell will be on Open Mike tonight on Fox.

No doubt, will cover more than just his playing days, but hopefully a good half of the episode will be about his time at the Roys.

Will post on the Fitzroy board too.
An interesting show. Having had a long conversation with Bernie Harris years ago at a Purnim Cricket Club “Double Wicket” tournament, I was left in no doubt about what he thought of Parkin, but I never realised the dislike of Parkin ran so deep in the playing group. I have heard Parkin himself say that he made “mistakes” at Fitzroy and I imagine they related to player management. Could have done with more conversation about the football and less about the recruiting, but it was still worth watching.

Last edited:
Doing a welfare check:

How are all you other "oldies" going during this difficult drama we find ourselves in? We are well but it's driving me nuts! I feel like a caged Lion and Lions like to roam free.;)

...and I've just had a disturbing phone conversation with my daughter. She thinks Daniel has done a good job, no-one could have done better! My tongue is very sore from having to bite hard.o_O

Just wanted to say what some epidemiologists said at the start of the pandemic... no matter what happens, no one will be happy. If there are too many restrictions and not many cases then the lockdown was too hard, but if there are too many cases then the lockdown wasn't hard enough.

I think Dan has done really well, apart from one tragic failure - hotel quarantine and the subsequent “second wave” of infections. Concerns about the Private Security Industry were already well ventilated in the media and the fact that such and important public health and safety role was farmed out to the private sector, with little ongoing oversight, was an act stupidity. The fact that nobody in the Andrews Government wants to “own” this decision, but most would rather suggest that it was a collective decision is the clearest evidence that misery really does like company. People have died as a consequence and that is the bottom line. For this, the buck does stop at Dan Andrews.

Given the reality of the situation, I think Andrews has done much better in managing the fallout and he gets credit for fronting up to the media every day and explaining the situation. I don’t subscribe to the “Dictator Dan” line bring run by the Liberal Party and their mates in the partisan Murdoch media. Once the virus got loose again, Andrews has done a good job protecting the community. I don’t see this as a civil liberties issue, but rather one of public health. I would much rather wear a mask, obey a curfew, work from home and supervise my children than catch the disease and risk spreading it.

Of course, our individual personal circumstances will inform how we respond and I am the first to admit I am lucky. My partner and I are both employed in jobs that can be performed at home, we enjoy good mental health and are able to manage our kids, who are also happy. There are others who are less well placed and it is to these people that Andrews needs to extend support and understanding to make up for economic and well-being problems that he didn’t create in Victoria, but which he has exacerbated.

Glad things are good with you and yours 3KZ.....actually they are with us too, I've been a bit off this week, we were supposed to be in Qld right now.

Generally speaking, have gone along with all restrictions to the letter, just that imo it is time to release the shackles, let us take our own precautions i.e mask, distancing, hygeine etc and keeping away from large public gatherings and the likes......taking responsibility for ourselves and well being.

.....oh, and our lawns need mowing, they are a mess! Our poor mower man is only around the corner, but he can't do them (or anybodies due to restrictions)

Mr MM can't do them anymore and I don't have the oompf to do them either these days. The backyard is quite big being at the end of a court, it fans out and the lawn is really thick....too much for us oldies and I do like a neat lawn.

So come on Daniel, loosen up, things to do and people to see!

I think Dan has done really well, apart from one tragic failure - hotel quarantine and the subsequent “second wave” of infections. Concerns about the Private Security Industry were already well ventilated in the media and the fact that such and important public health and safety role was farmed out to the private sector, with little ongoing oversight, was an act stupidity. The fact that nobody in the Andrews Government wants to “own” this decision, but most would rather suggest that it was a collective decision is the clearest evidence that misery really does like company. People have died as a consequence and that is the bottom line. For this, the buck does stop at Dan Andrews.

Given the reality of the situation, I think Andrews has done much better in managing the fallout and he gets credit for fronting up to the media every day and explaining the situation. I don’t subscribe to the “Dictator Dan” line bring run by the Liberal Party and their mates in the partisan Murdoch media. Once the virus got loose again, Andrews has done a good job protecting the community. I don’t see this as a civil liberties issue, but rather one of public health. I would much rather wear a mask, obey a curfew, work from home and supervise my children than catch the disease and risk spreading it.

Of course, our individual personal circumstances will inform how we respond and I am the first to admit I am lucky. My partner and I are both employed in jobs that can be performed at home, we enjoy good mental health and are able to manage our kids, who are also happy. There are others who are less well placed and it is to these people that Andrews needs to extend support and understanding to make up for economic and well-being problems that he didn’t create in Victoria, but which he has exacerbated.
That's like saying the captain of the Titanic did well except for the iceberg.

All my family's teams are in the finals which is good, teams we like to follow unless playing each other...Lions, Saints and Cats.

.....could get a bit tricky though and then it will be war!:)

An interesting show. Having had a long conversation with Bernie Harris years ago at a Purnim Cricket a Club “Double Wicket” tournament, I was left in no doubt about what he thought of Parkin, but I never realised the dislike of Parkin ran so deep in the playing group. I have heard Parkin himself say that he made “mistakes” at Fitzroy and I imagine they related to player management. Could have done with more conversation about the football and less about the recruiting, but it was still worth watching.
Interesting listening. Would be a good person to review a club as he is straight down the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back