Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

3KZ, I’ve heard you mention Koroit before or maybe you’re from there or know people from there . I just read some kid from there, Finn O’Sullivan is touted as a potential number one draft pick. Do you know much about him?
3KZ taught him everything he knows during his year in the under 12's 👊

I am not sure that players travel from Koroit to Melbourne just to play for 3KZ!
Mate, We are turning them away! Big game this week. Going for three wins in a row.

‘It’s absolute garbage’: The footy flop that was ‘borderline embarrassing’​

There are two things that struck Greater Western Sydney players midway through their second-half Anzac Day demolition job of the Brisbane Lions last round.

First, just how dysfunctional and disconnected Lions players seemed on the field compared with a similar group the previous year.

1714563400539.png

And second, just how similar their plight seemed to echo that of GWS four years earlier.
Parallels can be drawn between the sharp demise of the Giants through early 2020 – which, it must be said, with footy impacted by the disastrous COVID-19 ordeal – and the fall of the Lions in 2024.

Both had been near-dominant forces for several seasons; the Giants (2016-17 and 2019) and the Lions (2020, 2022-23) made three out of four preliminary finals and both had grand final appearances, albeit with contrasting margins in their losses. The Lions were agonisingly close to Collingwood last year, while GWS were all but beaten by Richmond by early in the second quarter of the 2019 decider.
Both teams also started the next season (relatively) well. In 2020, GWS defeated Richmond in a pre-season grand final rematch before knocking off Geelong in round one in an ominous display. And while the Lions started 2024 with a loss, they had kicked seven of the first eight goals against Carlton and gave up a near 50-point lead before capitulating to the Blues by a point.

Two Giants players, who would not speak on the record given the sensitivity of publicly discussing opposition players, told The Scoop they were bewildered by the sheer laziness of the Lions last week in their nine-goal loss in Canberra.

Legendary coach Paul Roos, who also played 269 games for Fitzroy, was scathing in his assessment of the Lions in his new podcast, ABC AFL Daily, hosted by Catherine Murphy.

“Had enough, too hard, not interested any more in playing for each other,” Roos said.

“I’ve been through this as a coach. [Chris Fagan] would be really worried. Really, really, worried. Lazy on defence, their two brilliant forwards aren’t buying in any more.

1714563509704.png

“This is about what decision these Brisbane Lions players want to make. Do they still want to play for each other? Do they still want to win a premiership? It’s hard work, but what I’m seeing from some of their star players or some of their so-called star players is garbage, it’s absolute garbage.”

Roos was quick to defend Fagan and said it was still possible for the Lions to achieve something this year, comparing the situation to the one he had faced in 2005 when he coached Sydney. The Swans had slumped to a 2-4 record when they were belted by West Coast at Subiaco, but lost only four more games on their way to a historic premiership later that year.

Roos singled out senior Lions Charlie Cameron and Joe Daniher when venting his disappointment.

“Their efforts defensively are terrible,” he said.

“The reason they’re going into the forward line so often and getting so little result is because they don’t tackle in the forward line, they don’t chase. This is a problem that the Giants used to have, they used to have so much talent but no real system and structure. They can turn it around … but some of Joe’s efforts were borderline embarrassing.

“Is Joe a five- or six-goal forward against really poor teams and then one or two against really good teams? If that’s the case, then you have to put structures around him.”

While Roos placed more responsibility at the feet of players, others have been quick to point out the coach’s inability to identify the problem, highlighted in Fagan’s post-match press conference last week when he was unable to explain what went wrong.

Channel Nine’s Footy Classified panellist and The Age columnist Kane Cornes stated it was Fagan’s job to know what the problem was. But triple-premiership Brisbane Lions coach and club director Leigh Matthews scoffed at that.
“I kind of just shake my head,” a frustrated Matthews said on 3AW. “People who are talking about coaching, let alone coaches’ press conferences, who have never actually been the victim of one of those press conferences before.
“Any coach worth his salt will look at the replay before firming his own thinking. Then you decide what to go to your players with.

“The post-game is basically feeding the chooks.

“If any coach is astute enough to know exactly what he’s going to say to his players the next day or two, exactly what he’s going to do in the review process, it’s too early post-game.”

The Lions’ next attempt to revive their season comes on Sunday in a do-or-die match against crosstown rivals Gold Coast, a game that will be Damien Hardwick’s first QClash.

Suns star midfielder Noah Anderson said this week that while “hatred” might be too strong a word, there was “genuine dislike” between the two playing groups.
And if it’s a game the Suns win, then genuine pressure will be growing in the Lions’ den.

Sam McClure

The Age
May 1, 2024 — 3.37pm

3KZ, I’ve heard you mention Koroit before or maybe you’re from there or know people from there . I just read some kid from there, Finn O’Sullivan is touted as a potential number one draft pick. Do you know much about him?
I did a radio show on the local community station 3WAY FM in Warrnambool for many years and I did a Hampden League segment on the show where I was on the Koroit bandwagon big time. Each week I would tip them to give their oponents a 'spudding' and I ran a campaign to get a kid I taught a senior game. It was fun.

I did a radio show on the local community station 3WAY FM in Warrnambool for many years and I did a Hampden League segment on the show where I was on the Koroit bandwagon big time. Each week I would tip them to give their oponents a 'spudding' and I ran a campaign to get a kid I taught a senior game. It was fun.
I’ll add that since 3KZ’s adoption Koroit won 7 flags in a row with the sequence ending last year. Hugh McCluggage’s South Warrnambool won the game with younger brother Myles doing well.

‘It’s absolute garbage’: The footy flop that was ‘borderline embarrassing’​

There are two things that struck Greater Western Sydney players midway through their second-half Anzac Day demolition job of the Brisbane Lions last round.

First, just how dysfunctional and disconnected Lions players seemed on the field compared with a similar group the previous year.

View attachment 1976280

And second, just how similar their plight seemed to echo that of GWS four years earlier.
Parallels can be drawn between the sharp demise of the Giants through early 2020 – which, it must be said, with footy impacted by the disastrous COVID-19 ordeal – and the fall of the Lions in 2024.

Both had been near-dominant forces for several seasons; the Giants (2016-17 and 2019) and the Lions (2020, 2022-23) made three out of four preliminary finals and both had grand final appearances, albeit with contrasting margins in their losses. The Lions were agonisingly close to Collingwood last year, while GWS were all but beaten by Richmond by early in the second quarter of the 2019 decider.
Both teams also started the next season (relatively) well. In 2020, GWS defeated Richmond in a pre-season grand final rematch before knocking off Geelong in round one in an ominous display. And while the Lions started 2024 with a loss, they had kicked seven of the first eight goals against Carlton and gave up a near 50-point lead before capitulating to the Blues by a point.

Two Giants players, who would not speak on the record given the sensitivity of publicly discussing opposition players, told The Scoop they were bewildered by the sheer laziness of the Lions last week in their nine-goal loss in Canberra.

Legendary coach Paul Roos, who also played 269 games for Fitzroy, was scathing in his assessment of the Lions in his new podcast, ABC AFL Daily, hosted by Catherine Murphy.

“Had enough, too hard, not interested any more in playing for each other,” Roos said.

“I’ve been through this as a coach. [Chris Fagan] would be really worried. Really, really, worried. Lazy on defence, their two brilliant forwards aren’t buying in any more.

View attachment 1976283

“This is about what decision these Brisbane Lions players want to make. Do they still want to play for each other? Do they still want to win a premiership? It’s hard work, but what I’m seeing from some of their star players or some of their so-called star players is garbage, it’s absolute garbage.”

Roos was quick to defend Fagan and said it was still possible for the Lions to achieve something this year, comparing the situation to the one he had faced in 2005 when he coached Sydney. The Swans had slumped to a 2-4 record when they were belted by West Coast at Subiaco, but lost only four more games on their way to a historic premiership later that year.

Roos singled out senior Lions Charlie Cameron and Joe Daniher when venting his disappointment.

“Their efforts defensively are terrible,” he said.

“The reason they’re going into the forward line so often and getting so little result is because they don’t tackle in the forward line, they don’t chase. This is a problem that the Giants used to have, they used to have so much talent but no real system and structure. They can turn it around … but some of Joe’s efforts were borderline embarrassing.

“Is Joe a five- or six-goal forward against really poor teams and then one or two against really good teams? If that’s the case, then you have to put structures around him.”

While Roos placed more responsibility at the feet of players, others have been quick to point out the coach’s inability to identify the problem, highlighted in Fagan’s post-match press conference last week when he was unable to explain what went wrong.

Channel Nine’s Footy Classified panellist and The Age columnist Kane Cornes stated it was Fagan’s job to know what the problem was. But triple-premiership Brisbane Lions coach and club director Leigh Matthews scoffed at that.
“I kind of just shake my head,” a frustrated Matthews said on 3AW. “People who are talking about coaching, let alone coaches’ press conferences, who have never actually been the victim of one of those press conferences before.
“Any coach worth his salt will look at the replay before firming his own thinking. Then you decide what to go to your players with.

“The post-game is basically feeding the chooks.

“If any coach is astute enough to know exactly what he’s going to say to his players the next day or two, exactly what he’s going to do in the review process, it’s too early post-game.”

The Lions’ next attempt to revive their season comes on Sunday in a do-or-die match against crosstown rivals Gold Coast, a game that will be Damien Hardwick’s first QClash.

Suns star midfielder Noah Anderson said this week that while “hatred” might be too strong a word, there was “genuine dislike” between the two playing groups.
And if it’s a game the Suns win, then genuine pressure will be growing in the Lions’ den.

Sam McClure

The Age
May 1, 2024 — 3.37pm
Selwood ha applied the blow torch on Talking Footy tonight.

Horrible vision.

I’ll add that since 3KZ’s adoption Koroit won 7 flags in a row with the sequence ending last year. Hugh McCluggage’s South Warrnambool won the game with younger brother Myles doing well.
I was rapt that Adam Dowie wrote himself into the Koroit History Books. He’s a very nice bloke.

I saw it western royboy. I’m genuinely surprised that more in the main board aren’t concerned, yet they all seem to criticise the messengers as if these vastly experienced afl people have no idea. I appreciate my posting style at times can aggravate but aren’t they seeing what I and you guys and the likes of Roos, Cornes, Bucks etc see and now you have GWS players saying they can’t believe our drop off. I don’t buy that there aren’t significant issues or that we can just turn it around with some supposedly easier games which I even doubt we’ll win all four.

I saw it western royboy. I’m genuinely surprised that more in the main board aren’t concerned, yet they all seem to criticise the messengers as if these vastly experienced afl people have no idea. I appreciate my posting style at times can aggravate but aren’t they seeing what I and you guys and the likes of Roos, Cornes, Bucks etc see and now you have GWS players saying they can’t believe our drop off. I don’t buy that there aren’t significant issues or that we can just turn it around with some supposedly easier games which I even doubt we’ll win all four.
I think they’re is a bit of groupthink mentality going on - I’ve stayed out of a fair bit of stuff on our main board since the Fagan Hawthorn stuff simply because I had a view that the allegations needed to be explored.

Let me assure you in no uncertain terms we as a club have some massive issues within our group / coaching team.

I’ve seen or read nothing that hasn’t had some basis to it. Roos was 100% spot on as was Selwood. The vision doesn’t lie, the stats can sometimes be misleading but the Champion Data stuff is a range of measure over a six week block.

It comes down to game plan and tactics and we’re playing the 2022 version when everyone else paid for the upgrades

I agree McIvor. It looks to me that Fagan’s positivity has turned toxic. He needs to grow a backbone and drop underperforming players. When he sets the bar so low for a number of players who are walk up starts for a game every week he is in effect building an ‘us and them’ divide into the club. It creates a lazy culture, something that Roos and other have picked up on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree McIvor. It looks to me that Fagan’s positivity has turned toxic. He needs to grow a backbone and drop underperforming players. When he sets the bar so low for a number of players who are walk up starts for a game every week he is in effect building an ‘us and them’ divide into the club. It creates a lazy culture, something that Roos and other have picked up on.

There is an interesting parallel between the Lions and South Sydney who sacked their coach (Jason Demetriou) yesterday. Souths started to fall apart mid-way last season (after being top of the ladder) and their form has been mostly diabolical since then. They are amazingly now on the bottom of the ladder. During this time, some of player's attitudes have been poor, there has been an alleged lack development of younger players and the club released Sam Burgess (assistant coach, club legend player) to coach Warrington (English club) last year after he tried to give some home truths to the players and club. Apparently Demetriou used a player power approach (interestingly modelled partly on Richmond), which just didn't work in that environment and with those leaders.

However, saying all this, I believe that the Lions can turn it around by tweaking the game style and resetting the AFL/VFL programs after acknowledging that some changes need to occur to be competitive in 2024 and beyond.

I agree. Hope you don't mind me saying this, but continually posting similar "negative" arguments all of the time just gets some posters just annoyed with you and they stop listening. Sometimes less is more IMO. Anyway, I always try to be positive (sometimes it's hard I know) and I very, very rarely pot the players. It's kept me coming back here almost everyday for 23 years. Otherwise, I would have no one to share my passion for the Lions with.

I agree. Hope you don't mind me saying this, but continually posting similar "negative" arguments all of the time just gets some posters just annoyed with you and they stop listening. Sometimes less is more IMO. Anyway, I always try to be positive (sometimes it's hard I know) and I very, very rarely pot the players. It's kept me coming back here almost everyday for 23 years. Otherwise, I would have no one to share my passion for the Lions with.
Fair enough 👍

Fair enough 👍
3KZ and I have had periodic discussions on that posting style over the last decade or more ;) - it's not the negativity that puts most people offside, it's the same thing getting hammered over again in multiple threads multiple times a day. Doing the same with excessive positivity also gets the same reaction (though it's rarer for people to do that in the first place). Plenty of your points are fair, it just feels like they're being beaten into us. :)

3KZ and I have had periodic discussions on that posting style over the last decade or more ;) - it's not the negativity that puts most people offside, it's the same thing getting hammered over again in multiple threads multiple times a day. Doing the same with excessive positivity also gets the same reaction (though it's rarer for people to do that in the first place). Plenty of your points are fair, it just feels like they're being beaten into us. :)
Can I see your drivers licence sir.

To be fair dlanod - you always come around to my way of thinking 🤣

and Sam Sheldon was a superstar … right? 😆
Hell no, pretty sure I was never on that bandwagon (I'll own up to Roe and others) - at most it was trying to get you to stop going on about him in every single thread. :p

Hell no, pretty sure I was never on that bandwagon (I'll own up to Roe and others) - at most it was trying to get you to stop going on about him in every single thread. :p
My favourite was …

The Sam Sheldon Disposal Limbo - How Low Will He Go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back