Paddy McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill take this one step further.

People in high risk professions mostly with young people and with short careers already pay into a separate insurance kind of scheme. (Cops, Ambos etc).

This is what the AFL needs to have done and should have started a decade ago.

Massive fail by McLachlan who has done very well at charming the media and sucking the teet and ass of gambling companies.
It seems ridiculous that AFL players are exempt from WorkCover. Not sure what the justification for that is.

It seems ridiculous that AFL players are exempt from WorkCover. Not sure what the justification for that is.

If we go down the path of applying the conditions you would expect of a regular workplace under WorkCover and apply them to the AFL, then suddenly if a player breaks their arm are the AFL responsible, if the do an ACL are they responsible?

Injuries in a contact sport are unavoidable to a degree and therefor the regulations under WorkCover aren’t really applicable. Injured players also continue to receive their payments and aren’t out of work/loss of income.

If a regular worker falls over and breaks their arm you would expect they are covered by WorkCover. Do we really want to be going down that path that all players should now be covered under the same umbrella?

Don’t think you can just pick and choose which injuries are covered and what aren’t either.

If we go down the path of applying the conditions you would expect of a regular workplace under WorkCover and apply them to the AFL, then suddenly if a player breaks their arm are the AFL responsible, if the do an ACL are they responsible?

Injuries in a contact sport are unavoidable to a degree and therefor the regulations under WorkCover aren’t really applicable. Injured players also continue to receive their payments and aren’t out of work/loss of income.

If a regular worker falls over and breaks their arm you would expect they are covered by WorkCover. Do we really want to be going down that path that all players should now be covered under the same umbrella?

Don’t think you can just pick and choose which injuries are covered and what aren’t either.
Thanks, I see your arguments.
It's seems unfair however, especially for injuries that impact a player post-playing career. What do players have instead? Medicare? That's still going to leave them substantially out of pocket. An AFL insurance scheme which I'm guessing stops the moment they stop playing? Or private insurance - imagine the premiums for that, and imagine the premiums for a player with repeated concussions.

Thanks, I see your arguments.
It's seems unfair however, especially for injuries that impact a player post-playing career. What do players have instead? Medicare? That's still going to leave them substantially out of pocket. An AFL insurance scheme which I'm guessing stops the moment they stop playing? Or private insurance - imagine the premiums for that, and imagine the premiums for a player with repeated concussions.
They get a contract to play a contact sport.

If they're injured, or simply not good enough, they get to chase a normal career like the rest of us.

Why would they be entitled to any compensation?

They get a contract to play a contact sport.

If they're injured, or simply not good enough, they get to chase a normal career like the rest of us.

Why would they be entitled to any compensation?
A bricklayer who hurts their back at work is entitled to compensation, why would a footballer who hurts their head at work not be?

A bricklayer who hurts their back at work is entitled to compensation, why would a footballer who hurts their head at work not be?

Brickies don't continue to get paid while they're unable to work AFAIK, whereas AFL players do.

It's a different scenario. The AFL probably does need to do better at providing post-career support for any medical treatments required for injuries sustained during their career. Pretty sure the NFL has a hefty fund dedicated to exactly this.

Bricklayers don't sign a contract with the understanding they're likely to get Injured.

What next, concussion compo for boxers?
Is that waiver specifically written into an AFL contract?

There are inherent risks in all occupations, to varying degrees, that doesn't mean the worker is not entitled to compensation should they eventuate.

I fully appreciate the comment about boxing though, that's a tricky can of worms.
Brickies don't continue to get paid while they're unable to work AFAIK, whereas AFL players do.

It's a different scenario. The AFL probably does need to do better at providing post-career support for any medical treatments required for injuries sustained during their career. Pretty sure the NFL has a hefty fund dedicated to exactly this.
If someone is off work injured from a workplace related injury they are entitled to Workcover payments, regardless of the occupation.

If someone is off work injured from a workplace related injury they are entitled to Workcover payments, regardless of the occupation.

Because they otherwise don't get paid, unlike AFL players who do get paid, and have their medical treatments paid for.

WorkCover have done a couple of investigations havent they? And depending on what comes out of the Hawthorn racism investigation may well have another investigation.
That was WorkSafe. They have responsibility for WorkCover, but other responsibilities too (issuing high-risk licences, ensuring employers are providing a safe work environment). My recollection is that they investigated the AFL's handing of concussions and gave them the tick of approval, despite complaints from former players like Kade Kolodjashnij, the West Coast player Venables.

That's true, but do players still get their medical treatment paid for if they retire because of the injury?

Not entirely sure, I think it might depend on the injury. I believe WCE have kept paying for treatment for Venables?

As I said earlier though, I do think the AFL need to do better at providing for post-career treatment for AFL players requiring medical treatment for injuries sustained during their careers. The NFL has made allowances for this kind of stuff, there's quite a bit of financial support for medical care post-career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back