McCartin v McAdams

Remove this Banner Ad

McCartin didn't contest the ball.

McCartin bumped him, broke his cheekbone, and didn't get close to the ball. Suspension should've been inevitable, but here we are.

McAdams didn't get near the ball either, because it bounces at 90° away from both players. McAdams was rightfully charging full tilt towards goal, McCartin comes up to contest and the ball bounces away from both.

You can't penalise players for a bad bounce. What should McCartin have done differently? Not turned in the direction the ball went? Lifted McAdams up like Swayze in dirty dancing?

I don't blame Sydney fans for defending their player, it's a tribal game, and people are biased.

You can't go around bumping players in the head and breaking their cheeks.

Unless you play for Sydney (or another AFL preferred team) and it is around finals time.
I agree, definitely can't choose to bump and expect to get away with it.

He didn't choose to bump though.

McAdams didn't get near the ball either, because it bounces at 90° away from both players. McAdams was rightfully charging full tilt towards goal, McCartin comes up to contest and the ball bounces away from both.

You can't penalise players for a bad bounce. What should McCartin have done differently? Not turned in the direction the ball went? Lifted McAdams up like Swayze in dirty dancing?
What do you mean by posing this question? The answer is he shouldn't have bumped McAdam, I would've thought that was fairly obvious. He saw McAdam coming, had a number of options (slowing down, pushing with his arms), but instead he braced for contact and laid him out.

The fact you believe that McCartin had no other reasonable option, but Dan Butler did, encapsulates your bias perfectly.

Michael Christian has been absolutely pathetic in his role and that’s putting it lightly.
He along with the AFL have been so utterly horrendous that no one has a clue anymore.
What’s dangerous, what’s not? There is potential to cause injury sometimes, other times potential isn’t even used, sometimes no injury means they escape.
We need to hold players responsible for their actions despite intention etc etc.
There is no consistency anywhere.

Bottom line is if we start from scratch on what’s reportable and what’s not than this incident is not reportable. Accidents happen in a 360 full on contact sport, you’re going to get incidental contact. Accidents should not be suspendable.
It should not take a genius to figure that out.
People say he chose to bump like it’s a bad thing in AFL, you’re allowed to bump. If you do it in a dangerous way then you should be suspended but I think it’s obvious that it’s just a football incident. The game is dangerous, this ‘bump’ is just a part of it but it isn’t done to hurt.

I don’t blame people being upset he got off as those people have their players getting suspended for innocuous football incidents but not this one.
Why is Sonsie only getting 3, how does Sicily get 3?
The system is a mess. It’s not about bias, the whole tribunal system is just a shambles and has been for a very long time and got worse with Michael Christian.

Last edited:
* me , it's been 10 years since the Tippett trade and I had actually forgotten how bad the collective Sydney flogs on bigfooty are

precious, protected, brown nosing and naval gazing campaigners - fair weathered sporting 'fans' who do the game a disservice

I would wish nothing but s**t for their club for years, but there is no point with the concessions they get

So Bedford can't play this week but McCartin can?

Lottery Lotto GIF

One chose to bump (shepard) the other was a collision going for the ball. Cry me a river

What do you mean by posing this question? The answer is he shouldn't have bumped McAdam, I would've thought that was fairly obvious. He saw McAdam coming, had a number of options (slowing down, pushing with his arms), but instead he braced for contact and laid him out.

The fact you believe that McCartin had no other reasonable option, but Dan Butler did, encapsulates your bias perfectly.

McAdam ran into McCartin as much as McCartin ran into McAdam.
One minute they were both going for the ball, the next they were both not going for the ball, because the ball changed direction.

* me , it's been 10 years since the Tippett trade and I had actually forgotten how bad the collective Sydney flogs on bigfooty are

precious, protected, brown nosing and naval gazing campaigners - fair weathered sporting 'fans' who do the game a disservice

I would wish nothing but s**t for their club for years, but there is no point with the concessions they get

It's been 10 years, time to get over it, just enjoy watching your team play finals....Oh wait, carry on.

McAdam ran into McCartin as much as McCartin ran into McAdam.
One minute they were both going for the ball, the next they were both not going for the ball, because the ball changed direction.
Just no. McAdam is running towards goal.

WTF does that have to do with the price of pumpkins?

McCartin has to get out of his way?
Don't be daft.
He runs in front of a player chasing the ball and bumps him in the head. He doesn't get the ball or even get close to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both players bee-lined the ball, until the ball changed direction.
Now what does that have to do with McCartin's shoulder hitting McAdam's head? McAdam didn't change direction.

Bumps the player, gets him high, doesn't get the ball. Straight up and down 2-3 weeks as it was cited for.

Now what does that have to do with McCartin's shoulder hitting McAdam's head? McAdam didn't change direction.

Bumps the player, gets him high, doesn't get the ball. Straight up and down 2-3 weeks as it was cited for.

McCartin didn't bump, didn't change direction.

He runs in front of a player chasing the ball and bumps him in the head. He doesn't get the ball or even get close to it.
Why does Adams run past the ball? If you want to play the "runs in front of" game, McAdams is between mccartin and the ball, so he's impeding McCartin

Ran into the path of a player trying to collect the ball and smashed his shoulder into that player's head.

But it wasn't a bump, of course not.

Was also trying to collect the ball.
Both players missed the ball, because the ball changed direction.
Neither player bumped.
If McCartin bumps, 2-3 weeks no probs.
But he didn't bump.

Was also trying to collect the ball.
Both players missed the ball, because the ball changed direction.
Neither player bumped.
If McCartin bumps, 2-3 weeks no probs.
But he didn't bump.
Tom must have faster hands than Bruce Lee because I couldn't even see them going for the ball! I just saw him line up a player who had his head over the ball without getting near it.

But then again, the ball did take an awkward bounce, so it's ok.

Tom must have faster hands than Bruce Lee because I couldn't even see them going for the ball! I just saw him line up a player who had his head over the ball without getting near it.

But then again, the ball did take an awkward bounce, so it's ok.

Maybe he does have fast hands. Irrelevant.

A player can only get suspended if they ELECT to bump.
McCartin didn't elect to bump.

Maybe he does have fast hands. Irrelevant.

A player can only get suspended if they ELECT to bump.
McCartin didn't elect to bump.
Right, didn't have time to fill out the usual form:

I, Thomas McCartin, being of sound mind and disposing memory, elect to bump Adelaide player Shane McAdam in the left back pocket of the Adelaide oval, on this day the nineteenth of August, two thousand and twenty-three.

Couldn't have been a bump then.

Right, didn't have time to fill out the usual form:

I, Thomas McCartin, being of sound mind and disposing memory, elect to bump Adelaide player Shane McAdam in the left back pocket of the Adelaide oval, on this day the nineteenth of August, two thousand and twenty-three.

Couldn't have been a bump then.

Glad we finally agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back