Pathetic Bombers loss. Whats going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d normally be seething during a game like that but I found myself quite calm and almost, expecting it this time? Not a great sign that my expectations have been lowered so much in just a few weeks.

Thrashing Collingwood in the Opening Round and the draw have masked our true position in the comp.

Started off brilliantly against the side that many thought was in line for another Grand Final, rode with the wave of expectation beating lesser sides, then all of a sudden we hit Top 8 teams.

Teams who have coaches with alternative tactics and players with the ability to implement them.

Once the 'tsunami' has been shut down at the source (i.e. Whitfield), our failings have been exposed.

The smaller, faster players benefit ball movement, but basically turn into liabilities once that game plan has been countered and they're now required to defend against bigger, more mature bodies.

The midfield and Briggs have had dismal starts to the year. Bedford, Greene and Kelly have had the rare moments, but all in all have been playing poorly. Other players like Cadman and Callaghan have had flashes of brilliance, but especially with Callaghan, is too much being expected so early?

Kingsley's got a lot of work to do figuring out alternative game plans. Right now, he's constantly being out-coached with many players not putting in the effort once the opposing coach gets the matchups correct and the pressure is applied.

Worth remembering that our current win/loss record is 6-3. Were currently in the top 8 and it's a long season. We still have time on our side to put everything together when it truly matters.

I agree. After looking at things today I think this is a good perspective to have.

You'd think rotating in and out some of our players/young guns will build experience and our depth in time and all of this will pay off towards the later part of the season.

Last edited:
AFL review of the just finished round also shows some themes already discussed by posters in the Essendon (Carlton and Swans) post mortem. It will be a good test of our team to see how they rectify this. I have faith in Kingsley and the leadership group.

Bombers, Swans have shown how to stop the 'Orange Tsunami'

After starting 2024 with five straight wins, Saturday's loss to Essendon marked the Giants' third defeat in four games. And for the second straight week, a defensive forward stifled the impact of the Giants' gun playmaker, Lachie Whitfield, slowing the 'Orange Tsunami' and leaving GWS with no answers. James Jordon held Whitfield to 19 disposals (and kicked a goal himself) in the Swans' Sydney derby win last week, before Matt Guelfi helped keep the Giant to 18 disposals (six of which came from kick ins) while kicking three majors himself, in the Bombers' massive win at Marvel Stadium on Saturday. Whitfield's drive and creativity from defence is vital for the Giants, and they must find a solution – or different outlet – if they are to challenge the best in 2024. – Dejan Kalinic

Worth remembering that our current win/loss record is 6-3. Were currently in the top 8 and it's a long season. We still have time on our side to put everything together when it truly matters.
I think this is the right way to look at it. 6-3 is not a bad record at all.

I think the problem comes from our own expectations. Last year I was happy to just be getting wins. Biggest dream was just making finals. This year I'm expecting a win each time we go out there, and its disappointing when we don't get it. Especially when weve all see that we have the ability. But there's still plenty of time to get it right and put it all together.

My biggest concern is that we have not beaten a decent team this year. From the ladder as it stands now we have beaten 8th, 18th, 16th 10th, 14th and 13th. Does not exactly inspire confidence.

A big test this week against the bulldogs. Bevo is unpredictable and flexible. He is well aware of the Blue print to beat GWS.

I have a feeling that Kingsley doesn't have a Plan B. So the closest adjustment he can feasibly make is put Toby Greene in the mid. If Whitfield is tagged, you have Toby to spark the tsunami.

Cadman is having a rough patch. He ain't a bust but needs to work himself out of this slump.

Aldi Toby was okay but needs to do more throughout the game. Cog's match fitness should be all good by this weekend.

Please recommend a good seat/section for this Saturday. Preferably under cover.

You almost never play well all year, you are going to have down periods and lose games.
We are a good side slightly down at the moment taking the wrong options and missing our mark.
Momentum is a funny thing, we lost it late in the St Kilda game and haven't had it back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back