Preview 2023 Round 23 – GWS Giants v Essendon Bombers, Saturday August 19, 4.35 pm AEST, Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure whats happened recently but we've dropped off and at a bad time. As much as we need to win this game, its more important to be in form and pose a threat in finals. We'll get confirmation of that either way this weekend.

Really surprised they opted for Fahey over Angwin.

Not that Fahey didnt play well, just thought that Angwin's work rate in that run was important. Fahey is probably a little classier though.
Maybe a more damaging kick for deep entries. Angwin puts more pressure on tackle wise for sure but Fahey had a great chase down tackle last game too... His effort has been great.

Yeah Fahey has been playing with so much effort and determination, really giving everything and that's just what you want in the team at this stage of the season.

Chances are we'll sub him out and replace him with Angwin for the last quarter so Angwin can still come in and do some damage with his running.

Maybe a more damaging kick for deep entries. Angwin puts more pressure on tackle wise for sure but Fahey had a great chase down tackle last game too... His effort has been great.
I agree, his damaging kick is one of the key reasons I reckon we're picking him... obviously a very different player to Callaghan, but puts another elite kick on the field for us, and Binga/Snooze bring back some of the run, carry and pressure.

Hopefully we’ll also get a crowd of more than 10k tomorrow. It’s essentially an elimination final for Essendon, and our club is selling $5 guest tickets in addition to hosting a meet the players post match function.

Hopefully we’ll also get a crowd of more than 10k tomorrow. It’s essentially an elimination final for Essendon, and our club is selling $5 guest tickets in addition to hosting a meet the players post match function.
If they're selling $5 tickets they're not hopeful about the crowd size

It's the members thanks round and members can purchase additional tickets for $5 to bring friends/family with them into the members area so I'm not sure it gives an indication either way.
Crowd would be bigger if both clubs where 12-9 rather than 11-10. Would get a larger Bombers fans in sydney, some would fly up.
Hopefully we win both games and still get a home semi, but 7th or 8th would be ok from here.

We'll need a heap of members turn up to get over 10k.
I know a few bomber supporters who are surprisingly pessimistic about their chances.
Hard to know whether many will come out.
Don't think many three game members were saving their game for this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to this game as it will be an indication of what the players have learnt and how they have improved this year and I can see it going either way, Draper back in the ruck is a big inclusion and if it is too soon for him or if he is underdone will go a long way towards the games outcome and the Bombers back 6 are experienced and maybe the tall defenders are not big enough but Hogan and Riccardi are not going to rip a game apart (Toby yes)
Langford, Nic Martin and Wright the main threats for the Bombers and not sure where to put Stringer coming from several weeks on the sidelines (Last game Rd 19) as it is a case of Bombers putting all chips in for this game

Hoping the Giants defence bounces back after the last couple of games having lapses to give the opposition runs of goals although this is more to do with the pressure up the field and with Daniels and Bedford back this should help

The coaching duel will be interesting with the experience of Scott if he has an idea of how to get past or around Taylor and Buckley and if the last 2 games has shown a plan for him to follow or if Kingsley and co can fix that part up or if it is more to do with the pressure up the field

prayer GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back