Preview 2023 Round 23 – GWS Giants v Essendon Bombers, Saturday August 19, 4.35 pm AEST, Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Two weeks ago GWS were cautiously optimistic about reaching finals, sitting in sixth place, albeit with an extraordinary number of teams around us. Two consecutive losses, and our worst fears are playing out basically needing to win both of our last two games to make finals. First up, at home, are the Bombers. The Bombers have their own seasonal tale of woe, starting on fire, and sitting in the top 8 for the majority of the season until recently. However, their own recent form is pretty rocky, and they almost lost to the last-placed Eagles a fortnight ago, winning by a single point in the end, while last week scraping past the second-last-placed Kangaroos by just 7 points. And they've played last and second-last twice this season - lucky to be a lowly Melbourne team rather than a Sydney-based team, for friendly fixturing, eh?

Realistically, if we don't win this, all our efforts to win 7-0 and drag ourselves up the ladder will be in vain. Hopefully, that's motivation enough for the players. We hopefully will get back a few good players. Most notably, Binga Daniels and Snooze Bedford adding some speed and pressure up front, will come back from suspension. Hopefully, Angwin missed through illness and will be available. As a few posters noted, I think we missed his run against Port. The big one will be Finn Callaghan. Whilst not overstating his importance, his mix of speed and ball-winning adds a dimension that others don't, so hopeful that his achilles issue is fixed and he's right to go. If he is right, he'll come in surely, and Angwin may be iffy to return; if Finn doesn't make it, I would think Angwin does.

But I also think that Adam Kingsley has some thinking to do about his team selections. Albeit potentially forced by injuries and suspensions, but in my view (and some other posters think similarly, from comments in this forum) he's been playing a few "big names" or "favoured players" out of position, and I think that has hurt us. In my mind, those are Nick Haynes, Isaac Cumming, and Lachie Keeffe. With HH going back, there's really no place for Haynes, and similarly having put Perryman back as the "defensive defender", he's had 3 counter-attacking defenders when there's really only spots for two: Ash, Whitfield and Cumming. In one game when Haynes was out, Cumming and Whitfield seemed to rotate one wing position, but with Haynes in, he's taken some wing time (although at times seems to be "plug a gap somewhere"). I think we just need to simplify players back to their best positions. And, someone for Keeffe please. With Cadman's 8 goals in VFL, he may get a recall. We need to kick more goals, and while Toby Greene always score (well, usually) and Riccardi was good against Port, more firepower (even in the shape of an inexperienced KPF, albeit with his tail up) would be welcome.

What do we do with Toby McMullin? He laid 5 tackles on debut, but limited impact beyond that. Does he get another go - in which case it would be by pushing Dan Lloyd out, given Binga & Snooze returning, or does he drop back to VFL? I have assumed that O'Halloran is still unavailable, otherwise I'd have him straight back in (he should be still fit, being just a finger injury). Apart from that, the midfield needs to lift. They seem to have ebbed and flowed this season - good games for a couple of weeks, then down. They definitely need to be up next week if we want to win.

My preferred changes:

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Harry Perryman,
HB: Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C: Josh Kelly, Tom Green, Isaac Cumming
HF: Callum Brown, Jake Riccardi, Brett Daniels
FF: Toby Bedford, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
RR: Kieren Briggs, Stephen Coniglio, Finn Callaghan

Interchange: Connor Idun, Daniel Lloyd, Aaron Cadman, Callan Ward.

In: Finn Callaghan, Aaron Cadman, Brent Daniels, Toby Bedford
Out: Nick Haynes, Lachlan Keefe, Josh Fahey, Toby McMullin

I assume that Lloyd will be retained rather than McMullin; also that Cadman would be preferred to return rather than bring in Flynn or Derksen. I'd also guess that Angwin doesn't get back in, unless Callaghan's not OK (although, they are not like-for-like in their role).

What are your thoughts? Who should be bring in, who should we leave out? Do you have any radical suggestions of changes?

Over to you ...

Has anyone read the Bombers board? As they're playing Collingwood in the last game of the H & A at the MCG, there's a thought the umpires might be "whistle-friendly" to them for this game, as they must beat both us and Collingwood to play finals. The AFL would relish a Friday night blockbuster with something on the line.

Has anyone read the Bombers board? As they're playing Collingwood in the last game of the H & A at the MCG, there's a thought the umpires might be "whistle-friendly" to them for this game, as they must beat both us and Collingwood to play finals. The AFL would relish a Friday night blockbuster with something on the line.
Umps are always whistle-shy on frees against gws … so nothing new

Excellent write-up.

I was wondering from your line-up whether to swap Cumming and Ash. Cumming is a far better player at HB and dare I say, better than Ash in that position.

As you suggest, Callaghan's fitness is a big question mark. With so much on this game, it's expected the intensity will be high and having underdone players worries me (I always think back to the 2019 Grand Final). Maybe have Ward start and Callaghan on the bench?

Another problem area is our ruck situation. Essendon have 2 dedicated ruckmen (last weekend Phillips started, Bryan on bench).

Considering our midfield is playing well below par, if Essendon focus on Briggs and wear him down, or is worse still injured, we are in a lot of trouble.

Edit: Draper could return for the Bombers, so their top ruckman could be back. For me, that makes it a must to play a second ruck. Either Keefe or Preuss (as a smoky) and drop Lloyd.

Last edited:
Excellent write-up.

I was wondering from your line-up whether to swap Cumming and Ash. Cumming is a far better player at HB and dare I say, better than Ash in that position.

As you suggest, Callaghan's fitness is a big question mark. With so much on this game, it's expected the intensity will be high and having underdone players worries me (I always think back to the 2019 Grand Final). Maybe have Ward start and Callaghan on the bench?

Another problem area is our ruck situation. Essendon have 2 dedicated ruckmen (last weekend Phillips started, Bryan on bench).

Considering our midfield is playing well below par, if Essendon focus on Briggs and wear him down, or is worse still injured, we are in a lot of trouble.

Edit: Draper could return for the Bombers, so their top ruckman could be back. For me, that makes it a must to play a second ruck. Either Keefe or Preuss (as a smoky) and drop Lloyd.
I did think about that, but was reluctant to pull Preuss in after just the one game. If there's concern over two rucks, then it's a possibility that Preuss comes back ... or more likely in my mind they'll just keep Keeffe.

Ash seems to have been preferred at HB over Cumming, so I've followed that line: I can't see AK changing too much of his thought patterns at this point in time.

A must win game to make the finals. Although we narrowly lost to Essendon at Marvel earlier in the year, we had won the 4 previous encounters before that. Unfortunately, our record at Giants Stadium this year is currently 3-4, so it’s definitely not a fortress like Gabba is for Brisbane. However, Essendon have lost the last 3 matches against us at Giants Stadium, which is a positive trend. Essendon also have been unconvincing in their last couple of matches against the bottom placed teams. The market has us as firm favourites at $1.35 (Essendon are $3.25). Kingsley and our boys will be hurting after our performance against Port, and will be looking to get back on track at home.

If Keefe is dropped, I'd be interested to know what the plans are when Briggs has a break.

Ruck responsibility goes to HH in defence, Riccardi/Brown up forward?

Haynes also had a go at ruck last weekend (I think???).

Then again, Briggs' dominance in the ruck is being let down by the mids anyway.

Wondering how this will all play out (edit: with Essendon likely to go in with 2 dedicated rucks).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley Taylor Himmel
Ash Whitfield Perryman

Cogs Kelly Perryman
Green Briggs Ward

Greene Bedford Daniels
Hogan Riccardi Brown

Idun Cadman Cumming Lloyd

Sub: Haynes

This won't be the team but I don't hate it, I wanna see Cadman back out there. He had a big confidence boost last week and I can see him getting on the end of a few. Callaghan probably doesn't get up for this one I reckon

Buckley Taylor Himmel
Ash Whitfield Perryman

Cogs Kelly Perryman
Green Briggs Ward

Greene Bedford Daniels
Hogan Riccardi Brown

Idun Cadman Cumming Lloyd

Sub: Haynes

This won't be the team but I don't hate it, I wanna see Cadman back out there. He had a big confidence boost last week and I can see him getting on the end of a few. Callaghan probably doesn't get up for this one I reckon
Perryman gonna be busy

GIANTS v Essendon
Saturday, August 19 at 4:35pm
GIANST Stadium | Wangal Country

Team

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun
HB: Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C: Josh Kelly, Tom Green, Josh Fahey
HF: Toby Bedford, Jake Riccardi, Brent Daniels
FF: Daniel Lloyd, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
RR: Kieren Briggs, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Isaac Cumming, Harry Perryman, Lachlan Keefe, Callum Brown

In: Brent Daniels, Toby Bedford

Out: Nick Haynes (illness), Toby McMullin (sub)

Emergencies: Toby McMullin, Jacob Wehr, Ryan Angwin, Matt Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back