Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

da34661daca94c5ecccb099c79387d7c
09WCMe19DC0951.JPG

Vic bias

Well, that's a limited sample. My main arguments have been against the claims that he "lined him up" and purposefully tried to hurt Ah Chee. Or he never contested the ball. Yadda yadda yadda.
I don't believe he intended to hurt Ah Chee, but I do believe he intended to make a statement to the rest of the team by going in hard in a similar way that Cotchin/Nankervis do when Richmond need a spark from their leaders when getting beaten in the contest.

I don't believe he intended to hurt Ah Chee, but I do believe he intended to make a statement to the rest of the team by going in hard in a similar way that Cotchin/Nankervis do when Richmond need a spark from their leaders when getting beaten in the contest.
Is that against the rules? Bad sportsmanship?

His feet went off ground
he hit him in head
he was concussed

most non Carlton supporters think it's a poor decision

If I was a Carlton fan I'd just take the result rather than embarrass yourself trying to justify it
His feet went off ground
Is a player not allowed to jump for the ball?

he hit him in the head
That's not on Cripps when he's done everything right to protect himself when fairly winning the ball. Ah Chee on the other hand went back with the flight, lower, and with arms out stretched. Is there any onus on Ah Chee to protect himself in such a situation? He was always going to come off second best with that approach.

he was concussed
Cripps is about 15kg heavier and a foot taller. Do you think a car and a truck would receive equal amounts of damage in a head on collision?

Well that is a more reasonable and understandable post from you.

Cripps generally is not a thug or dirty player, like many other neutral fans have painted him out to be.

If he had his time over, I have no doubt he wouldn't have done the same action that resulted in Ah Chee's concussion.

I can totally understand why people are annoyed he got off, but I just won't buy into the character assassination in the past couple of days..

Well that is a more reasonable and understandable post from you.

Cripps generally is not a thug or dirty player, like many other neutral fans have painted him out to be.

If he had his time over, I have no doubt he wouldn't have done the same action that resulted in Ah Chee's concussion.

I can totally understand why people are annoyed he got off, but I just won't buy into the character assassination in the past couple of days..
He’s not Carlton’s Messiah, he’s just a very naughty boy

Is that against the rules? Bad sportsmanship?
It depends on how you go about it. If you're genuinely contesting the footy then fair game, but if your actions are questionable and as you say have your own supporters thinking you should be rubbed out, then you've got a problem.

As a Tigers fan I've seen plenty of Cotchin and Nankervis trying to make that sort of statement over the years and Cotchin rarely does it in a manner that has you questioning whether he'd get rubbed out for it, whereas Nankervis can be a bit more clumsy in how he goes about it and can occassionally draw the attention of the MRO.

IMO I think Cripps by and large falls into the Cotchin category where he more often than not plays the ball, but on this occassion crossed the line and should have been rubbed out.

It's not illegal to mistime entry into the contest by a split second. People do it all the time.

For consistency the AFL penalised Cripps for it. The appeal against the ruling was successful.

It is what it is. No conspiracy. Everything by the book.

🤷‍♂️

I think you mean a principal of law. It's not that hard actually. It just means that there was a problem with the process.
And he was not cleared of what he did. It was a legal matter.
The AFL, MRO and Tribunal better have all their ducks in a row, the Is dotted, and the Ts crossed with the Crouch Gardner issue.
The AFL will have egg over it's face once more if they don't get this one right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Carlton supporters in here are hilarious. I just think it would be so funny if this round if someone does what Cripps did and one of their players is injured as a result. They'll be baying for blood and demanding a 6 match suspension. :)
Jus like ALL of the Hawthorn supporters wear blue pants on Thursdays!

The Carlton supporters in here are hilarious. I just think it would be so funny if this round if someone does what Cripps did and one of their players is injured as a result. They'll be baying for blood and demanding a 6 match suspension. :)
They've behaved just as Hawthorn supporters would have done if it were their player instead of Cripps.

You've been here long enough to know how this place works.

How you doing mate? You still OK?

I’m good, missed the verdict but as I said - I don’t support either Carlton or the teams playing Carlton.

I do think the verdict was incorrect though, so now the AFL has to deal with the inconsistency they’ve created.

Not really, the onus is on other players not to injure a player in a vulnerable position if they have alternative options.

It’s been that way for a number of years now.
So whenever a player goes back with the flight, everyone else needs to go "hey stand back everyone, he's vulnerable, let's just let him take the mark uncontested."

Why isn't the argument here that Ah Chee should've seen a bigger stronger opponent coming toward him, so he should've stayed down, let Cripps take the ball, then tackle Cripps?

So whenever a player goes back with the flight, everyone else needs to go "hey stand back everyone, he's vulnerable, let's just let him take the mark uncontested."

Why isn't the argument here that Ah Chee should've seen a bigger stronger opponent coming toward him, so he should've stayed down, let Cripps take the ball, then tackle Cripps?

No the argument is that players should take reasonable actions to avoid injuring another player who’s in a vulnerable position when they have viable alternative options.

This isn’t a new thing specifically for Patrick Cripps.

And the AFL Tribunal system is run by Essendon and Geelong old heads who also hate Carlton... what don't you understand about this? Maybe just stop watching the Jack Newnes goal and you might chill out a bit bro.

Nah mate. I'd prefer to watch the Kosi Pickett goal tonight. What about yourself? Chilled out yet bro?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back