Paul Ahern

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, I traded him and started him this week and I knew he'd be a gun.

Will gain mega $$$ and pump out reliable high scores.
Wait and see how he goes with Anderson fit though

I only watched about 10 -15 minutes of the Nth v Lions game from midway through the 2nd qtr - flicking the channels several times - but if Ahern was the player - left of screen -near the left hand point post - turn on a sixpence with the ball - as soon as i saw it - i thought who in the hell is that

He was drafted around pick 7 by GWS in 2014, but then did his knee twice. Traded to North for pick 69.
Had a lot to do with a reducing list. When we finished top 4 in 2016 the AFL hastily ended our expanded list size and cap prematurely. Not whining we did ok out of our start up concessions, but it did force some list management decisions.
Just happy he's doing well, and was looked after properly.
We were a strange place for players in many ways until things normalized last year, I'd hate to think it damaged players careers.

What number was he drafted? Why did GWS let him go?
Did his knee in Feb 2016 and the Giants supposedly rushed his rehab a tad, with him doing his knee again in September 2016. Was basically a salary dump for GWS and a free hit for North.

Did his knee in Feb 2016 and the Giants supposedly rushed his rehab a tad, with him doing his knee again in September 2016. Was basically a salary dump for GWS and a free hit for North.
Was very gracious toward North allowing him to sit out the entirety of last year to make sure his knee healed properly with no pressure on him to play at all.

Had come come back too soon the time before and did it again immediately.

Big tick for the medicos.

Free hit as far as North was concerned. Pick 65 which became 69 and a really good track records with ligament injury and rehab.

Allowed GWS to free up cap space and playing list space which they needed to, and got Paul a fresh opportunity in a team in the middle of a cleanout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was very gracious toward North allowing him to sit out the entirety of last year to make sure his knee healed properly with no pressure on him to play at all.

Had come come back too soon the time before and did it again immediately.

Big tick for the medicos.

Free hit as far as North was concerned. Pick 65 which became 69 and a really good track records with ligament injury and rehab.

Allowed GWS to free up cap space and playing list space which they needed to, and got Paul a fresh opportunity in a team in the middle of a cleanout.
I guess you can always query if the rehab was wrong. Given people are quoting rumours I'm not giving them much credibility. I will credit North with being patient, and your club system system for giving him his best chance though.

I guess you can always query if the rehab was wrong. Given people are quoting rumours I'm not giving them much credibility. I will credit North with being patient, and your club system system for giving him his best chance though.
I think there was something around the time that we traded him in that said he felt pressure to get back out on the ground as he was a low pick, so he ended up picked before he was really ready (knee stability wise).

Not necessarily one persons fault or trying to point blame, was just a series of events that ended up working out poorly for Paul.

I think there was something around the time that we traded him in that said he felt pressure to get back out on the ground as he was a low pick, so he ended up picked before he was really ready (knee stability wise).

Not necessarily one persons fault or trying to point blame, was just a series of events that ended up working out poorly for Paul.
I have never heard anything, it's possible I guess. It was a very competitive environment with our expanded list. The need to create a supportive culture is why Leon is coach I think, or at least a big part of it.

Ahern, Clarke, Dumont and Simpkin. North are producing some talented young midfielders.
The other three aren't even in the same ballpark as Ahern right now.

I like Clarke's effort but his disposal is questionable.

Dumont appears to be a 'good in most areas, not good enough in the rest' type.

Simpkin could be anything but so far has been middling.

That's the reality.

Ahern on the other hand is already a gun player in his eighth game. What a steal.

I have never heard anything, it's possible I guess. It was a very competitive environment with our expanded list. The need to create a supportive culture is why Leon is coach I think, or at least a big part of it.

I was under the impression that the first reco didn’t actually go well. The second one was done better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back