Pauline Hanson - One Nation Party

Remove this Banner Ad

h-1.png

Whatever you are trying to say here doesn't hold up because we aren't even sure if that "Iranian Muslim" was Muslim were we? He seemed to have been obsessed by mass shootings, so your attempts to blame Islam are pretty silly. Just like how it's silly that Pauline thinks people will just forget that she used to think Asian immigration was our major problem, but now she seems fine with them. Angry people often lack logic.

Was confirmed quite early mate

Was confirmed quite early mate
Given this is a thread on Pauline Hanson, not sure she has come out with the same opinion you are trying to push.
How about you stick to the thread title and take the rest elsewhere.

Given this is a thread on Pauline Hanson, not sure she has come out with the same opinion you are trying to push.
How about you stick to the thread title and take the rest elsewhere.

Fair enough.. I was starting to think the topic was getting out of track a bit on specific opinions. I still think it us important to understand how a person like Pauline is capable of hijacking such and significant issue. Perhaps for another thread

Fair enough.. I was starting to think the topic was getting out of track a bit on specific opinions. I still think it us important to understand how a person like Pauline is capable of hijacking such and significant issue. Perhaps for another thread
The only thing that concerns me about Pauline is that no what facts presented to her will change her mind, which is real shame.
She doesn't appear to be a good listener and seems to work on a prepared script.
At the same time not many politicians have come out and ever said I was wrong, have they?

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/open-...om-a-victim-of-extremism-20160725-gqd108.html

Fantastic open letter by Alpha Cheng to Hanson.

I would like to acknowledge and respond to your comments and your stance on ABC's Q&A program on July 18.

My concern is the linking of this fear and anxiety to the entire Muslim population. We cannot generalise the actions of extreme individuals to encompass that of other successful and law-abiding citizens who happen to be of the same faith.

My father was murdered by a 15-year-old boy. I cannot deny the fact that the perpetrators professed to be followers of Islamic State.

However, it does not follow from these facts that Muslims should be feared. It was not the boy's faith that has caused his action. He was using his faith as an excuse for violent and antisocial extreme acts.

This fear mongering directed at minorities is not a new phenomenon in history. Nor is it new with me personally. When I first arrived to Australia, I remember being a victim of the hateful and fearful attitudes that the One Nation Party promoted. I remember being told I will be sent back to where I came from because I was Asian and, therefore, not Australian. I remember feeling ostracised and isolated from the country and identity with which I had adopted – in harmony with my cultural heritage.

Looking at the WA One Nation candidate(s) for the Senate on 730 last night, it would seem very unlikely imo that they will see out their term as a party member given their views on immigration, and multiculturalism being at odds with party platform. I wouldn't mind betting One Nation will fracture PUP style during the course of this Parliament.

I didn't see 730 but you are
Looking at the WA One Nation candidate(s) for the Senate on 730 last night, it would seem very unlikely imo that they will see out their term as a party member given their views on immigration, and multiculturalism being at odds with party platform. I wouldn't mind betting One Nation will fracture PUP style during the course of this Parliament.

I have to agree with you on this one Gough, Pauline Hanson isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and will be exposed as a air head that she is plus she is to stubborn or stupid to get a decent adviser.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this unless there are some moderately competent people running the party behind the scenes. Although Palmer was a different case to One Nation, Palmer didn't stand for anything. It's the same reason the Democrats imploded. One Nation won't disintegrate because of that, it'll be because it's run by idiots.
Maggie5 is right, Hanson doesn't appear to be even open to debate on these matters, which will ultimately be her downfall.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this unless there are some moderately competent people running the party behind the scenes. Although Palmer was a different case to One Nation, Palmer didn't stand for anything. It's the same reason the Democrats imploded. One Nation won't disintegrate because of that, it'll be because it's run by idiots.
Maggie5 is right, Hanson doesn't appear to be even open to debate on these matters, which will ultimately be her downfall.
I think that splitting will partially depend on the polls. If One Nation continues to poll well then they might well stay as it means chances of re-election are much better. PUP split up because they quickly worked out it was a protest vote and they wouldn't get back. Muir broke off his alliance shortly into the term, Lambie then followed shortly after which saved her.

The Democrats imploded, sitting members didn't walk out on the party, they sold out on what their members wanted and the members walked away from the party.

I'm just not so sure that One Nation is a flash in the pan like PUP, they have been around for a lot longer and never sold themselves as a protest vote, which Palmer did, so I'm keeping an open mind on her long term future because she tapped into a sentiment felt by a sizeable portion of the electorate and one that has only been reinforced since the election. These people aren't going to change their opinion quickly unless the major parties tow her line and even the Liberals won't take on her anti-Islam policies.

You can't deny a voice with that level of electoral support, whether this is a flash in the pan as it was before, or whether it will be more sustained is the most interesting thing.

Hardly unique to Oz. Plenty of Gert Wilders types in Europe have popped up due to issues surrounding Muslim immigration and it's hardly going to quieten down due to recent events in France and Germany. The issue may even cause the EU to break up and Merkel get the flick.

.....and if she was open to debate and in the unlikely event that she acquitted herself well and came out on top according to the 'experts'e watching. What would be the outcome?

Pauline's won, but she's still an idiot and I'd guarantee she wouldn't have changed the opinion of the person she was debating nor the people that don't like her.

It's a pointless exercise.

Can you provide a list of all the times politicians have had a debate and the loser has changed their mind? I think you'd be hard pressed to find too many.

Monarchy/Republic - Gay Marriage yes/no - Climate change - religion - Cats v Hawks. Debate with anyone on any of those subjects that has a differing opinion to yours and how many do you think you'd change to your way of thinking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well like it or not she has 4 Senate votes so if the Libs want to get something through they will pretty much have to deal with her everytime.

Going to be a long 3 years.

For the first time in life I'm excited with the thought of an angry senate.
Will Pauline implode, explode, be exposed or will she shag MT in the lodge?

.....and if she was open to debate and in the unlikely event that she acquitted herself well and came out on top according to the 'experts'e watching. What would be the outcome?

Pauline's won, but she's still an idiot and I'd guarantee she wouldn't have changed the opinion of the person she was debating nor the people that don't like her.

It's a pointless exercise.

Can you provide a list of all the times politicians have had a debate and the loser has changed their mind? I think you'd be hard pressed to find too many.

Monarchy/Republic - Gay Marriage yes/no - Climate change - religion - Cats v Hawks. Debate with anyone on any of those subjects that has a differing opinion to yours and how many do you think you'd change to your way of thinking?

You're making the mistake of thinking every issue is black and white.

Let's take her views about Islam. She is so closed minded about it that she gets offended when an ex-Muslim athiest offers her a halal kebab. She gets utterly overtaken by her 'principles' that she draws conclusions on matters she doesn't even understand. That ensures most of the population will simply think she's a fool and would never vote for her. If she was more pragmatic about certain issues and actually educated herself before mouthing off then she'd potentially be a credible alternative to get a decent chunk of the vote. You can dislike Islam without thinking that every muslim is a misogynist homophobic neanderthal, and I doubt she understands that.

But to answer your question - yes, you can change people's way of thinking. That's why right wing parties have boomed across Europe. Hanson won't (not in any great numbers anyway), because she hasn't even considered her own opinions.

Why are there so many Malcolms in Australian politics?

Malcolm Fraser
Malcolm Turnbull
Malcolm Meninga
Malcolm Roberts

(in order of quality as a politician. as a person Big Mal wins by a mile)

You're making the mistake of thinking every issue is black and white.

Let's take her views about Islam. She is so closed minded about it that she gets offended when an ex-Muslim athiest offers her a halal kebab. She gets utterly overtaken by her 'principles' that she draws conclusions on matters she doesn't even understand. That ensures most of the population will simply think she's a fool and would never vote for her. If she was more pragmatic about certain issues and actually educated herself before mouthing off then she'd potentially be a credible alternative to get a decent chunk of the vote. You can dislike Islam without thinking that every muslim is a misogynist homophobic neanderthal, and I doubt she understands that.

But to answer your question - yes, you can change people's way of thinking. That's why right wing parties have boomed across Europe. Hanson won't (not in any great numbers anyway), because she hasn't even considered her own opinions.

Have they boomed across Europe because people have changed their minds or have they boomed because there are now political candidates / politicians to give voice to people?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back