2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Draper has A grade written all over him are you sure Davies will be better?

Draper has clean hands and reads the play very very well

I wouldn’t say I’m sure…but Draper is the shiny new toy, and a good one - again, it’s nothing against him. If Davies got the spot instead of him originally, I think we’d be saying the same thing about him.

Seems as though we’ve been focusing on Davies’ pure defensive game at Peel, but he’s a more aggressive interceptor than Draper when given the chance. His marking and reading of the play is just as good.

Could just be that we view Davies more as a #1 guy and the Pearce backup, whereas Draper is more that 2 or 3. But with the timeframe being limited until Cox is back, I just think we should expose both while we can - and it’s not going to hurt Draper to use his exposure to go back and dominate WAFL.

He got pantsed and lost like every contest he was involved in. It’s very quiet at work for me at the moment so I might go and literally count the contest count tomorrow since I had this discussion after the game as well.

I don’t expect Draper to do anything but get beaten but he was comprehensively beaten - Curnow does that to a lot of KPDs
I watched a replay of the game as well as live. Curnow only took marks in highly contested situations in the second half and Luke Ryan had him for some of those marks in the last quarter. For a young key position defender Draper was superb playing on a player more seasoned and stronger than him for all but a 10 minute period after half time. He was moved off Curnow at the first sign that Curnow was getting on top of him. Ryan struggled to hold Curnow more than Draper did.

I wouldn’t say I’m sure…but Draper is the shiny new toy, and a good one - again, it’s nothing against him. If Davies got the spot instead of him originally, I think we’d be saying the same thing about him.

Seems as though we’ve been focusing on Davies’ pure defensive game at Peel, but he’s a more aggressive interceptor than Draper when given the chance. His marking and reading of the play is just as good.

Could just be that we view Davies more as a #1 guy and the Pearce backup, whereas Draper is more that 2 or 3. But with the timeframe being limited until Cox is back, I just think we should expose both while we can - and it’s not going to hurt Draper to use his exposure to go back and dominate WAFL.
In all seriousness Draper shows the most amount of pure athleticism of any key defender since McPharlin in my opinion and that includes a young Alex Pearce. He's quick enough to keep up on the lead with Bolton which many small defenders would struggle with. Ive seen every Peel game this year. (albeit watching online) and Davies in my opinion doesn't have anywhere near the ceiling of Draper. I think Davies is a terrific prospect too but Draper could be something truly special in my opinion.

Draper has been ok defensively and he’s played very well for a young defender with the ball in hand , plays within himself when he’s deep with maybe 1 or 2 bad decisions all up is pretty bloody impressive for a young KPD

When he’s further up the field he’s fired off a few very good handballs and kicks to set up some rebound

Don’t know how much more anyone could ask for really

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would you send anyone back who’s playing at Drapers level. Wouldn’t you think continuing to play him and giving him the experience needed is the most important thing the club could do. We don’t know when if Cox will return and he will need some time to get into form. Draper couldn’t do anymore than what is being asked. He’s the future

Why would you send anyone back who’s playing at Drapers level. Wouldn’t you think continuing to play him and giving him the experience needed is the most important thing the club could do. We don’t know when if Cox will return and he will need some time to get into form. Draper couldn’t do anymore than what is being asked. He’s the future

Exactly

I watched a replay of the game as well as live. Curnow only took marks in highly contested situations in the second half and Luke Ryan had him for some of those marks in the last quarter. For a young key position defender Draper was superb playing on a player more seasoned and stronger than him for all but a 10 minute period after half time. He was moved off Curnow at the first sign that Curnow was getting on top of him. Ryan struggled to hold Curnow more than Draper did.
I have just gone back and watched the game looking at every contest he or his direct opponent was in and around. Draper got pansted and I can post every contest he was in to prove it with time stamps.

I dont want to post it because it's just being mean really and I should make it very clear I think Draper is going to be fantastic and ANYONE (including Ryan and Pearce) is going to find it hard manning up Curnow as much as he did but he got pansted. I blame JL more than anything because he shouldnt have been in that situation and it would have been good to get an explanation as to why they did it

I have just gone back and watched the game looking at every contest he or his direct opponent was in and around. Draper got pansted and I can post every contest he was in to prove it with time stamps.

I dont want to post it because it's just being mean really and I should make it very clear I think Draper is going to be fantastic and ANYONE (including Ryan and Pearce) is going to find it hard manning up Curnow as much as he did but he got pansted. I blame JL more than anything because he shouldnt have been in that situation and it would have been good to get an explanation as to why they did it
Development.

Better he learns now, than be thrown in the deep end late in the season.

With McDonald, Cox and Chappy out and Davies inexperienced, what other options did they have? Pearce had his hands full with McKay. Luke Ryan could have gone to him but would be giving up 10cm in height, and I'm not quite sure if he could match him athletically. (I know Ryan won an AA at full back but Curnow is a different beast). Also, if you send Ryan to him as a stopper you pretty much give up on him being the intercepter.

The club had to role the dice with Draper. In my opinion having Draper on Curnow (as opposed to Cox or McDonald) was the reason we lost the game. Our hands were tied though - as there are are not 2 x Alex Pearce sitting in the sheds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With McDonald, Cox and Chappy out and Davies inexperienced, what other options did they have? Pearce had his hands full with McKay. Luke Ryan could have gone to him but would be giving up 10cm in height, and I'm not quite sure if he could match him athletically. (I know Ryan won an AA at full back but Curnow is a different beast). Also, if you send Ryan to him as a stopper you pretty much give up on him being the intercepter.

The club had to role the dice with Draper. In my opinion having Draper on Curnow (as opposed to Cox or McDonald) was the reason we lost the game. Our hands were tied though - as there are are not 2 x Alex Pearce sitting in the sheds.
I'd have gone with Ryan, he gives up the reach but makes up for it with experience and physicality. A large part of the problem watching the replay is Draper just can not physically compete, reach wasnt a problem.

I agree that not having Cox or McDonald cost us that game but yeah, only so many key mature defenders you can have on a list.

And back to something resembling the point of the thread. I think Davies would have done as well or better because he is currently better in the contest. I also think Draper is currently the better overall footballer

Will be very hard when Cox comes back
Depends on how Longmuir want to use him. When injured he was being tried up forward.Maybe a different view now with three good big forwards up there.
I would think that Cox will spend a few weeks with Peel before coming back tot he league.

Depends on how Longmuir want to use him. When injured he was being tried up forward.Maybe a different view now with three good big forwards up there.
I would think that Cox will spend a few weeks with Peel before coming back tot he league.
It sounds like the bye is going to perfectly coincide with Cox's return which means he can play a WAFL game which will be great because I agree, dont rush him, make sure everything is 100%.

I'm pretty certain Draper will make way despite everyone trying to squeeze him in but it bodes well for the future. Any of Pearce, Chappy, Cox or Ryan go down and he'll be straight in and we know we have one

It sounds like the bye is going to perfectly coincide with Cox's return which means he can play a WAFL game which will be great because I agree, dont rush him, make sure everything is 100%.

I'm pretty certain Draper will make way despite everyone trying to squeeze him in but it bodes well for the future. Any of Pearce, Chappy, Cox or Ryan go down and he'll be straight in and we know we have one
Curtins is still a work in progress and would be expecting to go back to Peel when Cox returns.

For a young player Draper made Curnow earn every mark. All his marks were contested and thats my point. You can't ask for more from a young player. Draper also destroyed Curnow in the first half. Ryan struggled to hold Curnow late in the game. Draper's pretty much destroyed his opponent in every game he's played bar one half against one of the best forwards in the afl. He rotated on Bolton and Martin in the Richmond game and held them goalless. I normally agree with you but I'll agree to disagree on this one.

Cox for Draper is probably the easiest change they’ll make all year. No need to complicate things. No one intended for Draper to play this early on.

I like Draper as much as anyone, feel like I should say that before I get labeled as a hater of his. He is absolutely doing everything that’s asked of him.

I just don’t think there would be a drop off at all if Davies was to replace him - that’s the point I was making before the rush to defend Draper. And then we’d finish the season with having given both our young KPDs experience at the top level - something I think would benefit the club even more in the long term.

I'd have gone with Ryan, he gives up the reach but makes up for it with experience and physicality. A large part of the problem watching the replay is Draper just can not physically compete, reach wasnt a problem.

I agree that not having Cox or McDonald cost us that game but yeah, only so many key mature defenders you can have on a list.

And back to something resembling the point of the thread. I think Davies would have done as well or better because he is currently better in the contest. I also think Draper is currently the better overall footballer
I would have tried Hughes personally. Has the physicality and speed, just missing the height. Have Ryan as third man up.

Do it you yellow belly.

Do it you yellow belly.
Bolded for what I would considered wins

Q1 (11:02) - gets pushed off and lets Curnow run and jump at a pack ball not impacting anything at all
Q1 (6:02) - We get caught on the rebound, McKay is all alone out the back, Draper probably not quite quick enough to react or slightly out of position, jumps without contesting but does well not to give away a free kick I suppose, McKay takes an uncontested mark then inexplicably drops the ball running into goal
Q1 (4:25) - Contests a ground ball with Curnow really well, halving the 50/50 and Walker helps mop up
Q1 (3:51) - Loses direct 1v1 with Curnow who marks and handpassess to runners
Q2 (19:15) - Losses direct 1v1 with Curnow who marks
Q2 (18:02) - I'll give him a pass for Jackson jumping in front but again Curnow gets a clean leap in a pack without any impact from Draper
Q2 (13:10) - 1v1 with Curnow he halves and spoils, does well

Possibly rotated off Curnow here, Pearce in the next 3 contests with Curnow does well

Q2 (0:38) - Wins 1v1 with McKay, does really well
Q3 (19:20) - Trailing on the Curnow lead who marks uncontested
Q3 (18:13) - Gets a small block off ball then shows half a second of not reacting and TDK gets free, lucky kick was a bit shallow. Loses contested ground ball to small Carlton player. Needed to go a bit harder
Q3 (17:53) - Small mistake, goes into the contest wait for spills for a spoil but leaves 3 Carlton players unattended behind. Spoil goes over his head directly to the three players he was on. Shot on goal falls short
Q3 (17:00) - Loses touch with McKay after the ball goes over there head, McKay runs past him gets the clean collect off the spoil and runs into a Ryan brickwall for ball-up
Q3 (16:36) - Again too far off and Curnow gets a clean run and jump at a contest, saved by Ryan who is sandwhiched between Curnow and another Blue
Q3 (15:50) - Does his role in a pack mark, enough body pressure to make sure McKay doesnt get a clean run and jump
Q3 (14:54) - AGAIN Curnow gets a clean run and jump, this time he takes the mark, kicks the goals
Q3 (14:11) - Again is a metre off McKay heading into a contest who collects and is tackled by Aish
Q3 (4:25) - Falls to the ground from a Curnow side bump while the ball is in the air so Curnow has no one on him once the ball hits the ground. Spoiled away from Curnow
Q3 (0:57) - Loses 1v1 contest with Curnow middle of the ground. Curnow marks
Q4 (15:01) - Contests aerial group, helps ensure it's a contest.
Q4 (8:34) - Spoils Kennedy from behind, brings to ground
Q4 (7:25) - Gives away free kick to Kennedy for holding giving away a goal. It's slight but you hold the jumper you put yourself in danger
Q4 (4:25) - Contests in the pack
Q4 (3:50) - Loses Curnow on the lead who marks and misses
Q4 (2:41) - Loses 1v1 with Curnow who goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back