News Pelchen grim on Hawks trade strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

He's (partially) right. O'Meara could be a top 5 player or be another gun cut down by injury. Mitchell could blossom as the number 1 mid or could get found out. In 5 years we'll look back on this draft period as a defining moment for our club - continuing success or a fall down the ladder. That said I disagree that we will regret this. JOM pls turn into the next Dangerfield.

No - last years draft was.

I don't think we had an option this year with the way we recruited tbh.

Our next level of talent is the unknown and we needed some class injected asap hence Omeara and Mitchell.

Orourke Langford Schoenmakers Shiels Hartung and Obrien are the 6 that I identify on our list who we to be stay on the park all season and have big years. If this group continues to stagnate (injury/form) we are in massive strife moving forward.

Our next level of talent is the unknown and we needed some class injected asap hence Omeara and Mitchell.

Orourke Langford Schoenmakers Shiels Hartung and Obrien are the 6 that I identify on our list who we to be stay on the park all season and have big years. If this group continues to stagnate (injury/form) we are in massive strife moving forward.
Can't agree with that.

If you write up a best 22 only Shiels is likely to be in it from the group above.

Schoenmakers, Hartung, Langford and O'Rourke had little to no effect on the 2016 season and for each one of them there is an understudy just waiting to push them aside(Lovell, Stewart, Hardwick, Burton, Howe).

If O'Rourke, Langford and Hartung lift then we are laughing, but we do have understudies in waiting should they not.

Schoenmakers and O'Brien are almost the same player, and now have Burton to compete with for a spot.

The talk of Mitchell being found out due to being the 'number 1' mid is nonsense. Contested ball winners aren't really affected by being the 'main man'.
There is some merit to it. He's going to go from occasional tagger to almost always tagged. I have much faith that he'll cope well.

There is some merit to it. He's going to go from occasional tagger to almost always tagged. I have much faith that he'll cope well.
Yea I just find that contested players like him make it really hard to be negated by a tag. That's why the majority of teams go to tag the more "running" mids.

Yea I just find that contested players like him make it really hard to be negated by a tag. That's why the majority of teams go to tag the more "running" mids.
Players who often win the ball and then try to run with it or take a few steps and kick to a target seem to suffer from tags the most for obvious reasons. Tom Mitchell can still be very effective by winning the ball and handballing it straight out to the runners and classy ball users like Smith and O'Meara.

I think you're right about where the tag usually goes. Previously it was Sam Mitchell, Smith and Hill. I think now it will be mostly O'Meara and Smith. Burgoyne might even start to get attention again if he's not spending all his time playing off flanks.

I was siding on this being the case - however with Rohan Connolly having been on here defending himself lately I thought anything is possible.
Ha that's exactly it, since Shakey manifested RC on this board everyone thinks that all the big names of footy will just drop in to defend their records.

It's still making me laugh now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha that's exactly it, since Shakey manifested RC on this board everyone thinks that all the big names of footy will just drop in to defend their records.

It's still making me laugh now.

At least we all know that Agent Smith on here is definitely Isaac Smith!

The talk of Mitchell being found out due to being the 'number 1' mid is nonsense. Contested ball winners aren't really affected by being the 'main man'.

Don't agree. Mitch's status in the game is held back by Ling and Crowley's jobs.

Don't agree. Mitch's status in the game is held back by Ling and Crowley's jobs.
Why? Every midfielder has some tagger they don't do well against- Judd and the tagger Baker from the Saints who led him to tears and Sewell for example. No lustre lost there. I won't go into the illegal holding etc because it was "deemed" acceptable by all and sundry so it must have been ok. A few years earlier someone like Dermott or Dippa would have had a meaningful discussion with the tagger who would then be largely unsighted.

Occasionally there is a post that nails it - and here it is for me

Can't agree with that.

If you write up a best 22 only Shiels is likely to be in it from the group above.

Schoenmakers, Hartung, Langford and O'Rourke had little to no effect on the 2016 season and for each one of them there is an understudy just waiting to push them aside(Lovell, Stewart, Hardwick, Burton, Howe).

If O'Rourke, Langford and Hartung lift then we are laughing, but we do have understudies in waiting should they not.

Schoenmakers and O'Brien are almost the same player, and now have Burton to compete with for a spot.
Understudies aside someone has to come good if we are looking beyond next year.

I'm confident it'll happen though

Understudies aside someone has to come good if we are looking beyond next year.

I'm confident it'll happen though

Not knocking this post, it's interesting the way you've phrased the two sentences......
The very problem with that next group coming through is that they have largely failed to announce themselves, so much so you can't really point to the particular player who looks likely - and are relying on the fact that 'We are Hawthorn' to spur one or more through.

I'm similarly ambivalent about that group.
Perhaps Hartung was the only new player (outside of Sicily) whose good games were truly good and whose inconsistency was most disappointing.
JOR was never very good in his best games, maybe just ok.
Shoe, well, like Langford, supporters seems to remember his best work from an incredibly small sample of games over his career, and the rest has been weak or battling.

I'd be happy to see the next wave of Burton, Lovell, Hardwick and whoever else we can scrounge go past the aforementioned.
We won't lose much.

Not knocking this post, it's interesting the way you've phrased the two sentences......
The very problem with that next group coming through is that they have largely failed to announce themselves, so much so you can't really point to the particular player who looks likely - and are relying on the fact that 'We are Hawthorn' to spur one or more through.

How many had the chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back