Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the West Indies pace attack vividly; my favourite team to watch, regardless of how many times they beat us. I wasn't dismissive of Hughes and pointed out that some of his problems were through no fault of his own. But I see him as a fantastic stroke player who ultimately underachieved because he didn't have the mental strength to fight through the obstacles in his path. Justin Langer faced his own share of tough attacks and overcame a lot of setbacks to achieve the record he did over an extended period of time. That he's begun a relatively successful coaching career as well puts him ahead of Hughes by a decent amount imo.

I remember the West Indies pace attack vividly; my favourite team to watch, regardless of how many times they beat us. I wasn't dismissive of Hughes and pointed out that some of his problems were through no fault of his own. But I see him as a fantastic stroke player who ultimately underachieved because he didn't have the mental strength to fight through the obstacles in his path. Justin Langer faced his own share of tough attacks and overcame a lot of setbacks to achieve the record he did over an extended period of time. That he's begun a relatively successful coaching career as well puts him ahead of Hughes by a decent amount imo.

Splitting hairs and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I played with Hughes and also Langer, Hughes was the more talented player but no one worked harder on their cricket than JL. Long after training sessions were finished JL would be still in the nets having balls fed to him. He had such a strong will to make it and no one deserved it more.
Hughes certainly played in a far tougher era and was a class player, when going he was like bowling to a wall that smashed any delivery.
He was not mentally weak at all, that is just rubbish. The West Indies in the end wore him down and his conflict with Lillee, Marsh and Chappell didn't help.
At the end of the day I would pick Hughes but the stats are what they are and JL was a great player also. I always preferred to bowl to JL but that is a little unfair as JL was just finding his way at that time and was still young.
Both great players and both deserving of a statue if on offer.

Splitting hairs and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I played with Hughes and also Langer, Hughes was the more talented player but no one worked harder on their cricket than JL. Long after training sessions were finished JL would be still in the nets having balls fed to him. He had such a strong will to make it and no one deserved it more.
Hughes certainly played in a far tougher era and was a class player, when going he was like bowling to a wall that smashed any delivery.
He was not mentally weak at all, that is just rubbish. The West Indies in the end wore him down and his conflict with Lillee, Marsh and Chappell didn't help.
At the end of the day I would pick Hughes but the stats are what they are and JL was a great player also. I always preferred to bowl to JL but that is a little unfair as JL was just finding his way at that time and was still young.
Both great players and both deserving of a statue if on offer.
Great summary, thanks.

It can always seem like one is being dismissive when comparing one star to another, but that was not the intent. Both were guns and neither is diminished by thinking one edges the other.

Hate to drag the conversation back to the stadium itself, but does anyone know how it will be lit? I do not see light towers in the artists impressions, and I don't see any sign of construction of towers.

Sorry if it has already been discussed. I visit this thread about once a month to look for updated pictures (a link to which has been said to exist on page 1 of the thread, but I cannot find it, unless it's simply the official Perth Stadium website).

Hate to drag the conversation back to the stadium itself, but does anyone know how it will be lit? I do not see light towers in the artists impressions, and I don't see any sign of construction of towers.

Sorry if it has already been discussed. I visit this thread about once a month to look for updated pictures (a link to which has been said to exist on page 1 of the thread, but I cannot find it, unless it's simply the official Perth Stadium website).
They are embedded in the stadium roof itself I believe

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

the-new-perth-stadium-and-sports-precinct-afl-format.jpg

From this picture, it seems that the lighting will shine from the edge of the awning all the way around the stadium, except behind the goals (or behind the screens, if you are interested in non football set ups.)

That said I wouldn't put it past us forgetting them. It'd be very Perth. Could add it to the asbestos at the childrens hospital, the bodgey pipes, the water born bacteria at the bettys jetty, the bad water flow there, etc etc

I don't think the architects of this beast are want to forget stuff, esp the lighting. They have a pretty decent resume of stadiums between them. Some you may have heard of. MCG, AAMI park, AT&T in Dallas (cowboys), Lucas Oil (Indianapolis Colts), US Bank (Minnesota Vikings) Adelaide Oval etc.

I don't think the architects of this beast are want to forget stuff, esp the lighting. They have a pretty decent resume of stadiums between them. Some you may have heard of. MCG, AAMI park, AT&T in Dallas (cowboys), Lucas Oil (Indianapolis Colts), US Bank (Minnesota Vikings) Adelaide Oval etc.

I see your point. If this government is in no way involved with the design and building of the stadium, there shouldn't be a problem.
If Barnett's stooges are involved, then, based on his record, there will be a major stuff up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This stadiums going to be insanely good. It'll be the best looking stadium in Australia, not that that'll be to hard

If Barnett's stooges are involved, then, based on his record, there will be a major stuff up.
Looks like we will probably get a labor government in March so I am expecting a massive budget blowout and am preparing myself for the disappointment of 2 more seasons at Subiaco.

Looks like we will probably get a labor government in March so I am expecting a massive budget blowout and am preparing myself for the disappointment of 2 more seasons at Subiaco.
That's funny. This government is the one that can't balance its books. Have a look at the blowout in the deficit (as opposed to the surpluses of the previous 15 years before 2015.) It's what happens when you get failed businessmen to run a government. We will be paying for their incompetence for years.

The difference from Subiaco Oval is going to be mind blowing. It will be worth a visit from Victoria to take in a game and see the sights.
Yep and thanks to the emporer, the last labor government wanted to shoehorn a second rate stadium into Subiaco.

Yep and thanks to the emporer, the last labor government wanted to shoehorn a second rate stadium into Subiaco.
Which would have cost half the price, and which Pavlich would have had 2 or 3 seasons to play in. But Mueller park (which is nice - a bit like a small Flagstaff gardens in Melbourne) would have been gone.
And the second rate stadium part is debatable too, considering the tenders to architects weren't in.

Great summary, thanks.

It can always seem like one is being dismissive when comparing one star to another, but that was not the intent. Both were guns and neither is diminished by thinking one edges the other.

Agreed but when you say one shits all over the other it sure sounds dismissive, even if as appears now, it was not what you intended it to portray.

Please tell me they are not the same people that did the Docklands stadium. That been the biggest farce I seen to build stadium on wrong angle for sunlight and not taking into consideration the glare on tv if roof open. Cannot grow proper grass well and virtually has to be used as an indoor stadium.

Please tell me they are not the same people that did the Docklands stadium. That been the biggest farce I seen to build stadium on wrong angle for sunlight and not taking into consideration the glare on tv if roof open. Cannot grow proper grass well and virtually has to be used as an indoor stadium.

different companies, although Populous did consiult on the initial design strategy with the WA government.

A new bronze-façaded $902 million sports stadium for Perth by design team Cox Architects, Hassell, HKS and Arup has been unveiled as the winning Stadium and Sports Precinct design for the region.
http://www.architectureanddesign.com.au/news/mega-perth-stadium-design-approved-dubbed-best-in

Etihad Stadium was designed by an Populous joint venture, Bligh Lobb Sports Architecture and Daryl Jackson Pty Ltd.
http://populous.com/project/etihad-stadium/

Thanks for quick info Wookie. Hopefully not much influence then.
Sounds promising.

Hope this is a great success for Perth.
It is a shame to lose WACA and it's unique place in Test cricket but for football it sounds better than Docklands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back