Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

“It’s a product of the stadium location. I find this debate quite interesting …this was always the case and I remember trying to raise this when I was in opposition.

“Not many people picked it up at the time but because of where the stadium is and peak hour traffic issues, it’s very difficult. There are going to be limits until the [still under construction] stadium bridge is built."
--------
Sounds like this is a case of "told ya so's" rather than trying to implement an actual plan. Surely another 10k wouldn't be that hard to achieve ...

The match will start at 4.40pm and finish around 7.40pm. The rush to and from the game will actually miss the usual peak hour rush. It's absolutely doable and poor form from the Government not even bothering.

From what my mate who works in planning at Transperth said, they don't have the drivers. Every driver must have a minimum break between shifts. If they were all rostered on for a weekday night to move the crowd from the stadium they wouldn't have enough drivers for Friday morning work rush. I told him to look at whats really important, * work - cricket comes first.

“It’s a product of the stadium location. I find this debate quite interesting …this was always the case and I remember trying to raise this when I was in opposition.

“Not many people picked it up at the time but because of where the stadium is and peak hour traffic issues, it’s very difficult. There are going to be limits until the [still under construction] stadium bridge is built."
--------
Sounds like this is a case of "told ya so's" rather than trying to implement an actual plan. Surely another 10k wouldn't be that hard to achieve ...

Agree on people playing politics.

From what my mate who works in planning at Transperth said, they don't have the drivers. Every driver must have a minimum break between shifts. If they were all rostered on for a weekday night to move the crowd from the stadium they wouldn't have enough drivers for Friday morning work rush. I told him to look at whats really important, **** work - cricket comes first.
put on extra buses then.

Let the full house disperse however they want to. It'll be a good experiment to see if the numbers they keep quoting are full of cr@p.
And if it doesn't work....well...we'll know for next time.

Let the full house disperse however they want to. It'll be a good experiment to see if the numbers they keep quoting are full of cr@p.
And if it doesn't work....well...we'll know for next time.

No.
Look at the level of whinging from the entitled on this page.

Experimenting with the public would result in next level whinging.

How would they choose the 40k seats to have open? Woild they decide to have whole blocks closed? Or randomly keep 15k seats empty across the whole seating plan?
Would close entire blocks, means they don't have to have additional staff in those areas also, keeping costs down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who chooses which blocks? Some people love down the wicket. Some love mid wicket. Some love gully/third man.
Stadium management would presumably choose top tier blocks. Patrons won't have a choice, if a block is closed its closed. In saying that, may not be any restriction on them being able to sit anyway, just means bars, food and potentially toilets won't be available there.

I am not sure that the bridge will make a huge difference even when it is ready.

Its not as if its going to be the Perth version of the footpath to the MCG... that path goes to Flinders station.

Pics from Hayds at Skyscrapercity
20180116_105456.jpg

20180116_105700.jpg

As bad as $8.50 is for mid-strength, at least it’s a considerable step up from Carlton Mid. Alby goes down pretty well.

--------

The problem is that they've actively been preventing people from using rideshare to the venue and pushing more people onto the trains. But the trains don't have the capacity. So why the * were they doing it, instead of promoting many different ways to get to the venue?

Short term solutions:
Open Belmont Park carpark.
Work with Crown to get people parking there. A 4-7pm game on a weeknight isn't a peak hour for them.
Open Burswood Park as a carpark.
Even open McCallum Park for cars as a last resort. Probably a bit too far to be realistic though.

It’s all political. Want the first and lasting impression to be that the previous govts decision on location was wrong. But this will backfire.

They are such lightweights (Mcgowan and Saffioti) and their behind the scenes people like Guy Houston...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back