Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Luckily for us you're not the technical expert on the PS design and construction.

Well, oh-so-smarty-pants-looking-down-on-people-with-a-legitimate-question, how are they going to increase the seating capacity "so easily".
Any moron can remove seats to increase capacity.
Are the extra 7,000 seats in one area or are they spread around the ground?
Are they like Subiaco where they took space from walkways?
Does the creation of these extra 7,000 seats necessitate removal of the roof?
HTF can you an extra 7,000 seats without spending much money?
As for 80,000 - WTF - thats an increase of 1/3. on the capacity.
Looking forward to your technical reply.

Well, oh-so-smarty-pants-looking-down-on-people-with-a-legitimate-question, how are they going to increase the seating capacity "so easily".
Nah I'm all good not purporting to be the authority on everything.

found this

17-02-2018 2-42-32 PM.png

There is space at the back of the top tier to add the extra rows.

I.e. roof won't need raising.

What is that space used for now ?
The diagram shows the extra seating as outside the existing stadium boundary
not inside the existing stadium.

I don't see "The space at the back of the top tier to add the extra rows."

1.Perth-Stadium-14Sept2017-pano.jpg

Are you talking about the gap between the seating and the roof ?

469167b.jpg

Last edited:

The reference does suggest that the extra tier would be beyond the existing boundary of the stadium, but I can’t see how that would happen: it would involve moving the canopy and repositioning the existing cladding. How could they be self contained?
I think it’s more likely that the writer got themselves confused. The map is a two dimensional representation of the stadium. It was drawn to show that the extra tier would be along the wings only, presumably between the top of tier 5 and the canopy. All of this would be within the existing stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see "The space at the back of the top tier to add the extra rows."

1.Perth-Stadium-14Sept2017-pano.jpg

Are you talking about the gap between the seating and the roof ?

469167b.jpg
There is a good 10-15m behind the end up the top tier and the facade of the stadium, I imagine the pitch of the top tier would be changed to accomodate the extra seats.

The reference does suggest that the extra tier would be beyond the existing boundary of the stadium, but I can’t see how that would happen: it would involve moving the canopy and repositioning the existing cladding. How could they be self contained?
I think it’s more likely that the writer got themselves confused. The map is a two dimensional representation of the stadium. It was drawn to show that the extra tier would be along the wings only, presumably between the top of tier 5 and the canopy. All of this would be within the existing stadium.

There is a good 10-15m behind the end up the top tier and the facade of the stadium, I imagine the pitch of the top tier would be changed to accomodate the extra seats.

Thanks for that. I will check out up close and personal next time.

The excerpt is from the State Gov project definition plan, So I hope they knew what they meant :)

Rebellions are built on hope.

Seriously, if the plan is per that excerpt, it would detract greatly from the stadium design.

I take it that they will never do it,
Big spending TV stations want full stadiums and people at home watching not huge half empty ones and no viewers.
60k if you look at stadiums around the world with bigger populations is very competitive.

Expansion outside the boundary of the current bowl... but still inside the outer skin. The amount of space available there would take it to 80 ish if it was fully extended... But the upper tier would be immensely deep.

I'm pretty sure that any expansion will involve removal of the roof trusses first. But when you consider craning in giant structural beams and precast seating plats that is probably for the best anyway... and not that difficult in the grand scheme

Expansion outside the boundary of the current bowl... but still inside the outer skin. The amount of space available there would take it to 80 ish if it was fully extended... But the upper tier would be immensely deep.

I'm pretty sure that any expansion will involve removal of the roof trusses first. But when you consider craning in giant structural beams and precast seating plats that is probably for the best anyway... and not that difficult in the grand scheme
Sounds like you half know what you're talking about. How long would it take to upgrade to 80k if that was the case

Or you could end up with something like the rear seating in this...

91a598d9d82618a6fcb0e974b794dcdc--munsters-car-munsters-theme.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back