Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

In England, they require big venues to host a few events under the maximum capacity. I don't know the exact rules but when Arsenal opened the Emirates Stadium about ten years ago, the Bergkamp Testimonial had a few things yet to be complete and some seats yet to be planted. It's for health and safety reasons.

AFAIK we do not have that in Australia and so I see no reason why the first event possible can't the first event literal. It's not like baseball or women's soccer will be played there, whether it's a Socceroos fixture in Perth obviously timed, a Scorchers match, or an AFL Finals game (though I could imagine a Ross Lyon coached Freo being hesitant on changing up grounds so suddenly) – just play it. You'll always have hype around the first game and that hype will always go and the first event will be a distant memory.

What was the first thing at the new Adelaide Oval? Like Sheffield Shield? First thing at Etihad was a pre-season match. Just play it. If it's a massive coup, ala a Derby or a England v Socceroos, then so be it.

(However, England are able to get a big payday from an Arab nation should they wish. Perth has an okay timeslot if we play the match at like 5pm - Perth's twilight is very unique – so it can be live there in the UK 11ish in the morning. But the chance of England's FA having a game 24 hours away for their players? Rare. Once off. And having it every season, even alternating? Nahhhh.)

Anyway, good to have these chats and hopefully the debate heats up. If everyone bickers about how to open this thing, it'll mean people actually care and those who don't, they'll have to hear about the new stadium anyway. You need that chat when it comes to things in Perth – people hated the Arena and now look at it: whether it's bogans at Bon Jovi, theatre goers at the tennis, or people there for gigs people love the joint. And all the chat about the architecture did was help promote it, really.

Socceroos v England would be huge. Great for international exposure with tourists coming as well. Having said that you make a good point with the "suck a big fat utensil" comment.

I can't imagine that there are people in England who haven't heard of Perth.

They all live over here anyway

Instead of a derby what about a double header. Either Friday night & Saturday night or Saturday & Saturday night. Two big Vic clubs come over for it, WC & Freo to flip to see who goes first.

Colin on 6PR talking about the new stadium

New stadium train station

170215genstadium1_1ae5c2f-1ae5c38.jpg

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/26315219/stadium-station-to-rival-best/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soccer is not lying down, just scheduling a Socceroos pre qualifier for the 2018 World Cup in Perth, first time for the Socceroos since 2005. Under David Gallop the FFA is pro active & clearly has an eye on the international opener.
Pre qualifer at NIB, with Gallop suggesting it would be packed.

The disgraceful thing about it is that it will probably cost more then double the amount the state government gave to bring the giants to Perth. Which when you look at the amount of people it will entertain is disgraceful. (20,000 vs 1.5 million)

PS. I'm happy that there is major sport coming to Perth but does anyone really believe that the state government essentially has to bribe the FFA to bring just one game to Perth

Soccer is not lying down, just scheduling a Socceroos pre qualifier for the 2018 World Cup in Perth, first time for the Socceroos since 2005. Under David Gallop the FFA is pro active & clearly has an eye on the international opener.
Pre qualifer at NIB, with Gallop suggesting it would be packed.

With any stadium, the owners must decide who their main clients are. You look after your best clients, so how would the WA AFL clubs feel if a "once in a blue moon" client comes along wanting to book a stadium that AFL is the 90% user ?.

I look at this way (after taking a step back ), AFL are going to be the main client, would it not be wrong if they were not the ones to have the opening match?. As Subiaco will not be required anymore, it could be reconfigured !!!!. Could Perth Oval be reconfigured for this game, to allow more seating.

With any stadium, the owners must decide who their main clients are. You look after your best clients, so how would the WA AFL clubs feel if a "once in a blue moon" client comes along wanting to book a stadium that AFL is the 90% user ?.

I look at this way (after taking a step back ), AFL are going to be the main client, would it not be wrong if they were not the ones to have the opening match?. As Subiaco will not be required anymore, it could be reconfigured !!!!. Could Perth Oval be reconfigured for this game, to allow more seating.

WA Tourism must use this facility to increase visitor numbers to WA, thats why taxpayer dollars were used. I support the WAFC getting management rights because the AFL games are the base load at Subi, yet a Rugby Test (international) can get a gig by booking it in the face of the AFL claiming a divine right for September without $1, the WA taxpayer should subsidise AFL footy.
The WAFC getting management rights of the new stadium, as distinct from the owners ie the WA taxpayer, is a bigger concern masai?

WA Tourism must use this facility to increase visitor numbers to WA, thats why taxpayer dollars were used. I support the WAFC getting management rights because the AFL games are the base load at Subi, yet a Rugby Test (international) can get a gig by booking it in the face of the AFL claiming a divine right for September without $1, the WA taxpayer should subsidise AFL footy.
The WAFC getting management rights of the new stadium, as distinct from the owners ie the WA taxpayer, is a bigger concern masai?

Please show a single quote where the AFL claim to have a divine right to a stadium. The AFL has simply indicated that if WA wants to schedule rugby tests during the finals period, then they may well miss out on finals if theres a conflict. You cant have your cake and eat it too. Nor can the AFL go around booking all the major stadiums in the country on the offchance that a team may make the finals in any given year.

Please show a single quote where the AFL claim to have a divine right to a stadium. The AFL has simply indicated that if WA wants to schedule rugby tests during the finals period, then they may well miss out on finals if theres a conflict. You cant have your cake and eat it too. Nor can the AFL go around booking all the major stadiums in the country on the offchance that a team may make the finals in any given year.

Yep, the AFL say 'MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY' vs WA say 'pony up' & the stadium is yours, no pay, you are in the far queue.

Fair dinkum Wookie, if you want something, I'll bet you pay, I do !

Yep, the AFL say 'MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY' vs WA say 'pony up' & the stadium is yours, no pay, you are in the far queue.

Fair dinkum Wookie, if you want something, I'll bet you pay, I do !

How is this something which has ONLY applied to WA and why should the AFl treat them like special snowflakes? Adelaide Oval has football in its contracts. The MCG has it in the games contract. ANZ has a finals contract. the Gabba has it. But noo special WA doesnt have a games contract at all.

maybe the AFL should start making WA pay to host finals. Apparently thats all the rage now right?

It's perfectly simple, Rugby book out the Saturday night, the AFL just work around it on Friday or Sunday. It's one of those "not ideal but workable" situations. No further fuss required.
All well and good until both Fremantle and West Coast host semi finals.

The disgraceful thing about it is that it will probably cost more then double the amount the state government gave to bring the giants to Perth. Which when you look at the amount of people it will entertain is disgraceful. (20,000 vs 1.5 million)

PS. I'm happy that there is major sport coming to Perth but does anyone really believe that the state government essentially has to bribe the FFA to bring just one game to Perth

I doubt it would have cost much given the opponent is likely to be a team the quality of Cambodia or Laos. The top 8 teams in Asia (i.e the only teams that arent complete ratshit) are all going to be seeded and won't be drawn in the same group.

The absolute best (also unlikely) possibility is a game against Saudi Arabia or Bahrain (or another team of that ilk). If Barnett paid more than pocketchange for that then he should be lined up against the wall and shot.

The game is being played at NIB, not at Subi, so I highly doubt the government paid that much for a match at a 20k venue.

The game is being played at NIB, not at Subi, so I highly doubt the government paid that much for a match at a 20k venue.
I doubt it would have cost much given the opponent is likely to be a team the quality of Cambodia or Laos. The top 8 teams in Asia (i.e the only teams that arent complete ratshit) are all going to be seeded and won't be drawn in the same group.

The absolute best (also unlikely) possibility is a game against Saudi Arabia or Bahrain (or another team of that ilk). If Barnett paid more than pocketchange for that then he should be lined up against the wall and shot.

Firstly Barnett would probably not have an idea what they paid for it because he gives a certain amount of money to the Tourism department for such things and this is what they spent it on. So instead of having Gov.of WA advertising (as with Giants) there will be Tourism WA advertising.

Secondly the FFA probably don't give a rats ass where it is being played. If anything it probably cost more to have it at a smaller venue. They pay for the right to have the game in Perth not necessarily at any venue.

Thirdly they don't even know who the Socceroos are playing all we know is that the first qualifier for them will be in Perth and I'm pretty sure the FFA don't even get a say in that as (correct me if I'm wrong) FIFA chose the fixtures. So the Tourism department will be paying the same whether its a good or s**t team.

Firstly Barnett would probably not have an idea what they paid for it because he gives a certain amount of money to the Tourism department for such things and this is what they spent it on. So instead of having Gov.of WA advertising (as with Giants) there will be Tourism WA advertising.

Secondly the FFA probably don't give a rats ass where it is being played. If anything it probably cost more to have it at a smaller venue. They pay for the right to have the game in Perth not necessarily at any venue.

Thirdly they don't even know who the Socceroos are playing all we know is that the first qualifier for them will be in Perth and I'm pretty sure the FFA don't even get a say in that as (correct me if I'm wrong) FIFA chose the fixtures. So the Tourism department will be paying the same whether its a good or s**t team.

It's not going to be a good team, that's my point. At best it's going to be a team ranked around 100, in all likelihood it's going to be a team ranked 150-200. A third round qualifier is more likely to be someone like Japan or Korea, but second round qualifiers are formalities for the teams that have realistic ambitions of qualifying.

For tourism purposes, the best case is probably if it was Indonesia, that might get a few hundred people visiting from there. Anyone else won't attract any tourists. And let's be honest, we should win 8-0.

BTW, i'm pretty sure all the advertising is going to be controlled by the AFC. That's why all the sideline banners are stuff like FamilyMart and Pocari Sweat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back