Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the thing a lot still dont get, especially over East. Especially at Subiaco, but I suspect still now, just because the stadium wasn't full, doesn't mean that everyone who was interested in going was there. Saying, they only got 50K to this game, shows they got the size right, is wrong. they would have got 10k more with a 10k bigger stadium in most cases.

Undercapacity games are due to no shows of people that already have a seat in the main, not due to demand being exhausted.
But that's the fault of the football clubs, not low capacity. Even with all the hype, West Coast's average crowd was 90% of capacity and Freo's just 70%. The taxpayers paid for the ability for 60,000 fans to attend. They should not be accounting for a club support model that restricts attendees. Get both to average around 95% capacity and they'd be more justification for an increase. Even then, that's only for 6 months of the year.

All that aside, an additional 17,000 football fans get to go watch football in a world class stadium, that is still bloody massive. 60,000 is perfectly fine. It's not prudent to cater for every person that wants to go to the footy.

Look at all the new stadiums opening around the world.

The vast majority are around the 60k mark.

Emirates Stadium, Juventus Stadium, Etihad Stadium, Wanda Metrapolitano, new Tottenham Stadium and Chelsea’s planned Bridge refurbishment are all around the 60k mark.

It’s no accident, 60,000 provides the ideal medium between being too big (MCG) and the Stadium looking empty constantly, and being too small.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keep in mind TV stations prefer full stadiums on their broadcasts,
it add to the viewers appeal, they wouldn't offer the money for the broadcasting they do now,
if there are consistently games with 30,000 people in 100,000 capacity stadiums, with zero atmosphere for viewers.
Full stadiums also means more bums on seats at home watching their broadcast and adverts (which means they could sell them for more)

But that's the fault of the football clubs, not low capacity. Even with all the hype, West Coast's average crowd was 90% of capacity and Freo's just 70%. The taxpayers paid for the ability for 60,000 fans to attend. They should not be accounting for a club support model that restricts attendees. Get both to average around 95% capacity and they'd be more justification for an increase. Even then, that's only for 6 months of the year.

All that aside, an additional 17,000 football fans get to go watch football in a world class stadium, that is still bloody massive. 60,000 is perfectly fine. It's not prudent to cater for every person that wants to go to the footy.

The clubs have control of 50k seats, not 60k. I'm sure the stadium manager is across where the seating is not being used.

Any chance a review of year one when completed (not just footy) will be made public?

So when you say 'Get both to average 95% capacity...." what exactly do you have in mind?

Short of forcing people to use their seats by threat of (having their membership revoked/getting fined/death), what can clubs do?

He just assumes, that because Eagles have lots of supporters, some of them will just leave for a new club.

What if the West Coast Eagles were broken up into two teams?
West Coast Falcons (blue and yellow) and Perth Eagles (ochre and blue) or something similar. Bit like how the original Fremantle split into Souths and Easts a hundred years ago.
The rabid fans can support both, except when they clash. Others will choose, depending on the club that ex-players and players are aligned with.

What if the West Coast Eagles were broken up into two teams?
West Coast Falcons (blue and yellow) and Perth Eagles (ochre and blue) or something similar. Bit like how the original Fremantle split into Souths and Easts a hundred years ago.
The rabid fans can support both, except when they clash. Others will choose, depending on the club that ex-players and players are aligned with.
What if Manchester United became an AFL team and relocated to Perth?

C’mon. Wouldn’t you like a grand final between West Coast and the Eagles?
The umpires wouldn’t know which team to support.

My call for WA3 is based on the population of WA. Perth, a footy city, has over 2 million people. With a new facility which could handle more games.

We have Melbourne/Geelong with just over 5 million people with 10 clubs. Probably 2 too many for the market & seeing how much support the AFL has to chip in to keep some afloat.

We have BF calls for a 3rd NSW/Sydney team! How could you possibly argue for 3 teams their, with only 2 in our 2nd biggest footy market? . Look at the current finances, tv audiences & ground facilities with the current 2 Sydney teams.

Clearly the Qld situation is also under huge stress. 2 teams in Perth & 2 in SEQ! Give me a break. Demitriou stuffed that up big time.

My call for WA3 is based on the population of WA. Perth, a footy city, has over 2 million people. With a new facility which could handle more games.

We have Melbourne/Geelong with just over 5 million people with 10 clubs. Probably 2 too many for the market & seeing how much support the AFL has to chip in to keep some afloat.

We have BF calls for a 3rd NSW/Sydney team! How could you possibly argue for 3 teams their, with only 2 in our 2nd biggest footy market? . Look at the current finances, tv audiences & ground facilities with the current 2 Sydney teams.

Clearly the Qld situation is also under huge stress. 2 teams in Perth & 2 in SEQ! Give me a break. Demitriou stuffed that up big time.

Perth may deserve another AFL team based on numbers, but it would never work because the Eagles were set up as a state team, and their supporters are as rusted on as Collingwood fans. There aren't enough undecided potential AFL supporters to make an independent 3rd team possible.

Hence my suggestion to break up WCE into two teams. With concessions, both could be dominant in a few short years.
Have a Tassie start up (all Tasmanians allowed to break their contracts + more concessions) would make 20 teams. 19 games + 3 rivalry rounds every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perth may deserve another AFL team based on numbers, but it would never work because the Eagles were set up as a state team, and their supporters are as rusted on as Collingwood fans. There aren't enough undecided potential AFL supporters to make an independent 3rd team possible.

Hence my suggestion to break up WCE into two teams. With concessions, both could be dominant in a few short years.
Have a Tassie start up (all Tasmanians allowed to break their contracts + more concessions) would make 20 teams. 19 games + 3 rivalry rounds every year.
So basically force West Coast Eagles to fold? I bet that will go down well with their members...

If another team was put in Melbourne (yes it's oversupplied now), how many would switch from their existing team?

The population argument only works if enough of those 2 million become supporters.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

If a 3rd Perth team came into the AFL I personally wouldn't think that they would play out of the Perth Stadium. I think a smaller ground like the WACA would be abetter fit.

If a 3rd Perth team came into the AFL I personally wouldn't think that they would play out of the Perth Stadium. I think a smaller ground like the WACA would be abetter fit.
Might as well give them my local park for all the fans they would draw. Football is in a different place to 50 years ago, when small crowds supported a range of different teams simply based on proximity. Unless they were to go to Bunbury, you're not going to convince any Eagles or Dockers fans to abandon ship.

They'd be better off playing out of a region to at least try and get some geographical support from somewhere, like Joondalup or Armadale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back