Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, for mine a real long shot to expect three brothers in same family all good enough to be drafted,

A few off the top of my head, where 3 or more brothers have been drafted/played

Clokes
Bowdens
Selwoods
Houlihans
Gaspers
Materas
Danihers
Brayshaws
Barhams

Sure there are others

Clokes
Bowdens
Selwoods
Houlihans
Gaspers
Materas
Danihers
Brayshaws
Barhams

Sure there are others

Families that had three football-playing brothers that had less than 3 brothers become successful AFL footballers: About 2 million

Admittedly about 1.999999 million of those families didn't have the genes of the Silvagni dynasty....

:p

Clokes
Bowdens
Selwoods
Houlihans
Gaspers
Materas
Danihers
Brayshaws
Barhams

Sure there are others
I am sure there is.
The list of brothers where less than 3 drafted would be so much harder to finish posting due to the the incredible length of it.
The odds against young Tom are incredible. Would be amazing if he joined the rare list.

I'd be utterly dismayed if we did. Firmly believe that there's enough talent out there for us to take two fresh rookies in, and at the very least I'd be more interested in us signing Sam Fisher above anyone in the conversation other than Wil and Ben.

Dismayed might be a bit of a stretch.

Why are Wil and Liam not “fresh rookies”?

Clokes
Bowdens
Selwoods
Houlihans
Gaspers
Materas
Danihers
Brayshaws
Barhams

Sure there are others
Four Cordner brothers played for Melbourne during 40s and 50s.

Ted’s son David played for Melbourne in the 80s.

The father of the brothers Edward played for Melbourne and University.

Silvagni like record in a way.

Pannam-Richards family pretty incredible too.

Marc Murphy third male line of family to have a career at the elite level. Fairly amazing in itself. Him and his father both had periods captain of their clubs. Not sure Marc's grandfather had the same level of career as John and Marc. Edit. Checked and Marc's grandfather played over 100 games for the Mayblooms. Only father-son-grandson combo to each play 100 games or more. Serg, Stephen and Jack can become the second....

Last edited:
There are 2 different F/S nominations, the club can choose to nominate for the ND or the RD.

If the club nominates them as rookies, they have no rights to match if another club takes them in the ND. But if they make it through to the Rookie Draft, they are automatically selected with the club's last rookie pick.
Cheers. That makes sense. If I am correct a club who hasn't nominated a father/son can nominate them for the Rookie draft if no clubs pick them up in the National draft, eg Will Hickmott.

Pannam-Richards family pretty incredible too.

Marc Murphy third male line of family to have a career at the elite level. Fairly amazing in itself. Him and his father both had periods captain of their clubs. Not sure Marc's grandfather had the same level of career as John and Marc. Edit. Checked and Marc's grandfather played over 100 games for the Mayblooms. Only father-son-grandson combo to each play 100 games or more. Serg, Stephen and Jack can become the second....
Twomeys at Collingwood spanned a couple of generations at least.

Three brothers played. Grandfather and grandson as well.

Last edited:
Dismayed might be a bit of a stretch.

Why are Wil and Liam not “fresh rookies”?
Let's be real: Liam is not draft material. I've been saying this for years now, and people keep getting tetchy because I'm trashing the name of a 'legacy'. This is private school-esque nonsense.

I want us to pre-list Wil, but I understand that it's borderline. There should be better players than both at rookie picks 1 and 19, especially when 2 or 3 clubs aren't even going to pick from the pool, and 2 or 3 more might prioritise mature age players.

It'll be interesting to see how much IP Agresta has brought from Sydney in this regard, because they rarely dabble in anything other than 18 and 19 year olds these days, and typically of a far higher quality level than both Wil and Liam Hickmott.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be real: Liam is not draft material. I've been saying this for years now, and people keep getting tetchy because I'm trashing the name of a 'legacy'. This is private school-esque nonsense.

I want us to pre-list Wil, but I understand that it's borderline. There should be better players than both at rookie picks 1 and 19, especially when 2 or 3 clubs aren't even going to pick from the pool, and 2 or 3 more might prioritise mature age players.

It'll be interesting to see how much IP Agresta has brought from Sydney in this regard, because they rarely dabble in anything other than 18 and 19 year olds these days, and typically of a far higher quality level than both Wil and Liam Hickmott.
With you on this Jimmae

So expect both Hickmotts at Carlton.;)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/4485e9e5546c250ad830a567ba03567c

One obscure aspect is that clubs will be allowed to instigate trades immediately after a rival team has placed a bid on a father-son and academy prospect. However they would only have a short time to strike a deal.

If a rival club places a bid on a father-son or academy prospect, the club that player is tied to has just five minutes to decide whether to match the bid with their draft picks. OR they have the ability to trade their next draft pick to another club and match the original using their next selections, therefore ensuring a prized top pick isn’t utilised in a matching a bid.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/4485e9e5546c250ad830a567ba03567c

One obscure aspect is that clubs will be allowed to instigate trades immediately after a rival team has placed a bid on a father-son and academy prospect. However they would only have a short time to strike a deal.

If a rival club places a bid on a father-son or academy prospect, the club that player is tied to has just five minutes to decide whether to match the bid with their draft picks. OR they have the ability to trade their next draft pick to another club and match the original using their next selections, therefore ensuring a prized top pick isn’t utilised in a matching a bid.
I thought the prized pick was there to make the draft fair when matching bids.

So the whole "can only enter the draft with as many picks as you have list spots" thing...

...the one they introduced to stop clubs trading down and just loading up on excessive amounts of second/third/fourth round picks for points purposes...

You can just do it on draft night now.

Amazing work from the AFL, introducing new rules that undermine rules they introduced 12 months prior.

The scenario concerning Blakey interests me. It would seem similar to a Heany selection if they don’t have to use their first pick to match the bid. I thought we’d got past that rubbish but it appears we have not.

So the whole "can only enter the draft with as many picks as you have list spots" thing...

...the one they introduced to stop clubs trading down and just loading up on excessive amounts of second/third/fourth round picks for points purposes...

Amazing work from the AFL, introducing new rules that undermine rules they introduced 12 months prior.

The rule still applies, it can now be manipulated further.

Example: Dogs - No bid comes for West by say pick 17, they bundle up picks 27 and 32 and target Tigers 17 and 37 (only if they are interested)

Dogs pick up another player at 17, then have enough points with picks 37, 45 and 63.

Remember the discount is 20% in a bid is in the first round, later in the draft the discount is more than 50%

Example: Dogs - No bid comes for West by say pick 17, they bundle up picks 27 and 32 and target Tigers 17 and 37 (only if they are interested)

Dogs pick up another player at 17, then have enough points with picks 37, 45 and 63.

Remember the discount is 20% in a bid is in the first round, later in the draft the discount is more than 50%

Yep.

And I'm assuming that they could also trade 27 and 32 for half a dozen third/fourth rounders worth more total points as well, thus actually having more draft picks than available list spots.

There's several clubs that currently have more picks with points value than they have list spots.

I'd suggest that rule has been abolished, and they simply forfeit the remaining picks when they fill their list.

There's several clubs that currently have more picks with points value than they have list spots.

I'd suggest that rule has been abolished, and they simply forfeit the remaining picks when they fill their list.

Looking through the AFL rules doc, you may be right.

I wonder if that means clubs are free to load up on late picks again to cover multiple top end academy players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back