Peter Wallis Top 30 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have attempted a couple of drafts previously but have taken the last couple of years off mainly because I cannot get my head around the bidding system & how the draft order changes.
Anyway I am doing a top 30 based on where I believe players should be taken. Any comments, positive or negative are welcomed.

1) BRISBANE - Cameron Rayner (Western Jets)
The best available imo, offers the Lions the X Factor that they desperately need & potentially could be another Dustin Martin type of player. Oozes class & has great upside once he develops a tank that is to AFL standard. Ultimately he will play predominantly in the midfield.

2) FREMANTLE - Luke Davies-Uniacke (Dandenong Stingrays)
A toss up here between he & Dow but have gone with LDU as I feel he has a slight edge in talent. Has plenty of pace & is a power packed player that will develop into a dominant on baller in the future. A midfield of LDU, Fyfe & Neale in the future will be a mouth watering thought for Freo supporters.

3) CARLTON - Paddy Dow (Bendigo Pioneers)
A safe selection here. Does all the right things, is tough as teak & his professional attitude will sit well with Bolton's philosophies. Will be ready to play from round 1 & is a potential 10-15 year player for the club.

4) NORTH MELBOURNE - Adam Cerra (Eastern Ranges)
One of the more intriguing players in this draft. Has enormous talent but has had major injury problems over the last 2 years. I believe North will take the punt on him & if he can prove he is over his injury problems, he could yet end up the best player in this draft. Stephenson & Darcy Fogarty will also be considered here.

5) FREMANTLE - Jaidyn Stephenson (Eastern Ranges)
Naughton & Fogarty will also be considered here but I think Freos need is for quality in the midfield so therefore I think they will take the mid over the KPD. Stephenson has some terrific attributes that will only enhance the midfield in years to come & they should ignore the go home factor & take best available.

6) COLLINGWOOD - Darcy Fogarty (Glenelg)
12 months ago Fogarty was being touted as a no.1 pick & although his stocks have fallen since then due to injury & some indifferent form, the potential of this kid will be hard for the Pies to ignore. Naughton will also be considered as KPD is an area they need to bolster & he is a Magpie supporter to boot. However I believe Fogarty will be their man here.

7) ST KILDA - Aiden Bonar (Dandenong Stingrays)
Midfield quality is an area that the Saints desperately need a boost in & Bonar is best available here. Although he currently spends most of his time as a forward, midfield is where he will eventually play his footy in the future. With his height & strength he will be a perfect fit to support the over worked Jack Steven & David Armitage in the midfield & add some much needed class to this area.

8) ST KILDA - Aaron Naughton (Peel Thunder)
KPD is another area that St Kilda needs to bolster & by far Naughton is the best KPD in this draft. With the likes of Brown & Gilbert in the twilight of their careers & Goddard coming back from a knee reco, Naughton is a perfect fit here & could play early as round 1 next year.

9) WESTERN BULLDOGS - Nick Coffield (Northern Knights)
The perfect replacement for Robert Murphy with his excellent kicking & decision making from half back. Can play in numerous positions & will add some polish to a side that needs more players that can hit targets.

10) CARLTON - Andrew Brayshaw (Sandringham Dragons)
With the loss of Gibbs to Adelaide, midfield will continue to be a focus for the Blues. Brayshaw is a smart & clean user of the footy with excellent decision making skills & although he is not the quickest player around, his football brain more than makes up for this. A good fit for Carlton here to complement the earlier acquisition of Dow.

11) GWS - Jack Higgins (Oakleigh Chargers)
With the loss of Devon Smith & the need for some crumbing forwards I think Higgins would be a good fit for the Giants. His dedication to the game cannot be questioned & his character & finishing skills could be something the Giants could benefit from going forward.

12) ADELAIDE - Hunter Clark (Dandenong Stingrays)
Questions about the quality of the Crows midfield continue to be asked & despite the recruitment of Gibbs to bolster this area, I still think the Crows will take the best available mid here & Clark is that player. There is no doubt that if Fogarty was still here at this pick the Crows would swoop but I think that is highly unlikely.

13) WEST COAST - Lochie O'Brien (Bendigo Pioneers)
Although Oscar Allen has been linked to the Eagles here, it is well documented that midfield is a priority for them to strengthen & for that reason I believe they will stick to that strategy here & take O'Brien. His excellent use by foot as well as his pace is what the Eagles need more of & he will be a welcome addition.

14) SYDNEY - Jarrod Brander (Bendigo Pioneers)
One of the better talls in this draft & his ability to play at both ends of the ground will suit Sydney given that they have some aging talls, ie Franklin, Grundy & Tippett on their list. Sydney have a rendency to draft best available with their first pick & Brander is that.

15) BRISBANE - Charlie Constable (Sandringham Dragons)
Another welcome addition to the Lions midfield. Has been a consistent performer in the TAC Cup throughout the year. He is also versatile enough to play in defence & is an excellent mark. Nathan Murphy will also be considered here.

16) WESTERN BULLDOGS - Nathan Murphy (Sandringham Dragons)
Best available & once again versatility will be an enticing prospect for the Dogs here. Can be used in a multitude of positions & is capable of going forward & kicking goals when required.

17) RICHMOND - Patrick Naish (Northern Knights)
Although the Tigers would love to take Naish a little later in the draft, I believe there will be a bid made for him by another club forcing their hand. Oscar Allen would have been an excellent choice here but they have committed to Naish so will match a bid here for him. Naish has excellent skills & will complement the forward set up at the Tigers.

18) BRISBANE - Connor Ballenden (Western Magpies)
Again a bid is likely to come in for Ballenden which will force their hand. Has had a disappointing season compared to what he showed last year but he has tremendous talent as a KPP & the Lions will not let this local product escape to another club.

19) GOLD COAST - Ed Richards (Oakleigh Chargers)
With the loss of Adam Saad, Richards has all the attributes to be the perfect replacement. His speed is excellent & his ability to break the lines will appeal to the Suns.

20) RICHMOND - Noah Balta (Calder Cannons)
Balta has tremendous natural athleticism & is capable of doing some freakish things but his lack of footy smarts at times is a concern. Regardless, quality talls is not an area of strength at the Tigers right now (Rance & Riewoldt excepted) so they should be prepared to take a punt on Balta here. He could be a bust but could also end up to be a steal here.

21) WEST COAST - Oscar Allen (West Perth)
The Eagles will be rapt to be able to grab Allen here. Although he is only 191cm he can hold down a key position due to his excellent leaping ability to compensate for his lack of inches. Kennedy will be an excellent mentor for Allen's development, while his accurate goalkicking will be a welcome addition to the forward line.

22) GEELONG - Matthew Ling (Geelong Falcons)
The Cats will stay local & the Ling name returns to the Cattery. Blessed with enormous pace & good decision making skills, he will be an excellent acquisition here.

23) NORTH MELBOURNE - Lachlan Fogarty (Western Jets)

A bit of a slider but an excellent get for the Roos here. Will add to the on ball brigade & in reality is best available at this pick. Capable of playing senior footy early next year.

24) GEELONG - Harrison Petty (Norwood)

A bit of a bolter but really fits the bill for the Cats with the retirement of Lonergan & Mackie. Played some excellent football in defence for SA in the Championships & his stocks have really risen recently.

25) RICHMOND - Jack Petrucelle (Northern Knights)

A late starter to footy but has all the attributes the Tigers love, ie pace, aggression & tenacity. Could develop into tagger with some tricks & would be a good get for the Tigers here.

26) WEST COAST - Gryan Miers (Geelong Falcons)
If ever there was a perfect replacement for Mark Le Cras, this kid is it. Has outstanding goal sense & will soon become a favourite of the Eagles fans.

27) GWS - Sam Hayes (Eastern Ranges)
The best ruck prospect in this draft by far & with the retirement of Mumford & uncertainty over Lobb & Simpson as quality rucks, Hayes will be well worth taking here. He is a long term prospect but could well be worth the wait.

28) GWS - James Worpel (Geelong Falcons)
Competitive beast with leadership qualities, something the Giants need more of. Gets plenty of the footy & will add grunt to a midfield that at times was a bit soft.

29) MELBOURNE - Charlie Ballard (Sturt)
Tall rangy player who can be used in a variety of positions. Can play at both ends & also has excellent speed for a man of his size. Has been a late bloomer who Melbourne will be keen to develop.

30) CARLTON - Adam Sambono (NT Thunder)
Excitement machine with uncanny goal kicking ability. Could be a long term replacement for Eddie Betts. Well worth a punt at this pick.

Last edited:
A few interesting selections. Interested to know why you think Naish and Ballenden receive first round bids and who would bid on them

I reckon Sydney or the Dogs would likely bid on Naish & Sydney possibly on Ballenden, just to keep both clubs honest. They would know that their bids will be matched anyway.

In reality I think Naish is worth a pick in the early 20's & Ballenden probably around 25.

Few St Kilda thoughts, we have Carlisle and Brown there for now. Brown still has 2, max 3 years left. We just traded for Austin and Goddard is in the wings. Goddard didn't do a knee, it was achilles followed by toe, same 'coming back from injury' story applies. Sam Collins may also be rookied as he is training with us. Gilbert is not a key back. Nor are Roberton or White, but they have the rebounding third tall position locked in.

So Naughton, I would be shocked if we used a top 10 pick on him considering our need for midfield class.

Brayshaw wont get past our picks.

Few St Kilda thoughts, we have Carlisle and Brown there for now. Brown still has 2, max 3 years left. We just traded for Austin and Goddard is in the wings. Goddard didn't do a knee, it was achilles followed by toe, same 'coming back from injury' story applies. Sam Collins may also be rookied as he is training with us. Gilbert is not a key back. Nor are Roberton or White, but they have the rebounding third tall position locked in.

So Naughton, I would be shocked if we used a top 10 pick on him considering our need for midfield class.

Brayshaw wont get past our picks.
What he said ^^^:thumbsu:

A midfielder and a small forward. I could live with that as the Eagles picks . I'm not so sure about Oscar Allen as our second pick because a) odds are he won't fall that far and b) we have other young players who can play in that position already.

Saints seem to be very keen on Brayshaw. There seems to be a feeling he won’t last until pick 7, but if he does we take him.

Pick 8 is the interesting one. We seemed to be watching Coffield very closely. Wouldn’t surprise if we take him if he gets past Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think Fogarty can go top 5, the kid is the best player all round in the draft. The only doubt on him is his ability to adapt to the rigours of AFL footy, but l think he will be the best player of this draft.

Great effort at a Phantom and loving the depth in this draft to #30+.

Dow plays round 1 in 2018.

Would love to get Braysure at #10 - he will be a solid citizen. Plays round 1 in 2018.

There is only 1 Eddie Betts. CFC already have Lebois as a project small forward so I think Garner is a better fit at #30, as we cannot afford to waste a pick with our lack of depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back