Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

I also think he is a victim of our game style and the role of wingers with in it. Lots of unrewarded running which leads to fatigue later in games.

What's everyones thoughts on Bergman's season so far?

I feel he's been ok without being impressive, though I put a lot of that down to role. I rate him highly and think he has a lot of tools to become an absolute star (aside from his poor kicking) - but just haven't seen him break out this year as I thought he would.
I'm a huge Bergman fan and I think he's been down on form this year on the wing.

Sometimes it takes a while to play the wing well so I don't know if it will take him more time.

He could play down back but we are pretty covered there.

He's obviously workth persisting with but he might be best as the tallest medium defender.

And I'd like to see him play midfield a bit. Just to see what we have there.

On the weekend, he was being outmarked wjhich is the first time I've seen that so he might have a niggle.

If he can become a Mason Redman equivalent for us that would be a win

Bergman has been 90% in the backline for at least a month, except against Hawthorn when we lost Wines he was used more in the midfield and wings. He's negated well and was part of the reason we beat Geelong because he picked up Cameron when he played higher up the ground. Having said that he hasn't intercept marked and created as much as usual and seems to have lacked some spark. Either he's sore or he's being watched more closely by his opponents.

Not been a problem for Burgoyne or Boak.

Jase has had a good 3 week period and Miles had a bad 3 week period - but Miles still averages 100m gained more per game and their average fantasy points are very similar for the season (Jase is 1.3 points more).
Now Travis is having a better season and his last couple of games have been very good but is he playing the same role? Season to date Miles has had 90 defensive half pressure acts and Travis has had 47.
Now I don’t know how many meters (distance) any of Miles, Jase and Travis have run for the season, but Miles is listed as covering the 5th most meters in a game this year @ 16.7km.
Maybe Miles has to fill the role that Xavier played previously and we know how appreciated that was.

Just a reminder that we could have had our choice of Will Day or Kossie Pickett on our list instead of this guy if we hadn't rolled over like little bitches in the Dougal Howard trade (even though Doogs was contracted for four years at the time).

Just a reminder that we could have had our choice of Will Day or Kossie Pickett on our list instead of this guy if we hadn't rolled over like little bitches in the Dougal Howard trade (even though Doogs was contracted for four years at the time).
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Bergman has the tools to be a very good player.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Bergman has the tools to be a very good player.
Lots of busts 'had the tools to be very good players'. Will Day and Kossie Pickett already are very good players. And Kossie has a PAFC connection and plays a position we desperately need help in.

Lots of busts 'had the tools to be very good players'. Will Day and Kossie Pickett already are very good players. And Kossie has a PAFC connection and plays a position we desperately need help in.
Would you take Day or Pickett? Early days it was Kossie by a street, but Will is catching...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldnt go as early as to say Day and Pickett will be better than this guy come careers end. Pickett has become one of the most overrated players in the comp and is down on form so far this year.

Bergman for me has all the tools to become what Day is and i think if they swapped teams you would see this given the difference in opportunity.

What's everyones thoughts on Bergman's season so far?

I feel he's been ok without being impressive, though I put a lot of that down to role. I rate him highly and think he has a lot of tools to become an absolute star (aside from his poor kicking) - but just haven't seen him break out this year as I thought he would.
He was always going to be a long shot to succeed on a wing. He has never really had a good game on the wing, in the preseason many of us knew that it was a mistake, and echoed those sentiments. The position just isn't suited to him. He has been tried there many times and failed and for some reason we thought it was all magically going to change.

He needs to be moved back to where he could be elite. He is an outstanding defender and intercept marker and could become our Tom Stewart type. Instead we're settling for 9 possessions a game on a wing.

Given his athletic profile he could make an excellent run with / tagger type mid fielder, who could run off his opponent. Drew is our only defensive run with / tagger mid. If Drew gets injured I'd like to the Berg get a go at doing this job.

Thinking a bit more about The Berg as a run with player, he would do a lot better job on Nick Daicos than Lachie Jones tried to do last year. This year I reckon we just let Daicos do as he pleased with no one assigned to sit on him.

Technically speaking and I'm sure you are aware, they went before Bergman so you can't say we could've got both of them unless we did what we did with Sinn and trade a future second rounder to move up a couple of spots.

Bergman is looking the goods but has been shunt around because he is a very versatile type of player. As I've said, his best play has been down back and I could see him being a Luke Ryan type of player back there as he reads the ball well and marks exceptionally well for his size. I also think he should be playing some midfield and it should be looked at for the future because he likes that in and under stuff, has a big tank and likes the one on one work.

If you're going to have a bit of a spew about not picking the right guy, I would look a bit further down to pick 23 in that draft and Dylan Williams. There are some good players after him including Chad Warner late who was past by most clubs a couple of times.

Technically speaking and I'm sure you are aware, they went before Bergman so you can't say we could've got both of them
Stopped reading here. I'm not repeating myself. Go back and look at our trades that offseason. Or even simpler, just go back and look at my post you quoted to begin this discussion.

Bergman already is a good player, look at last year when he was solid in defence. Being played out of position and finding it difficult to adjust does not make him bad

LOL why would we spend a first rounder on someone like Pickett when we can just grab an equally as good player like McEntee in the MSD

Stopped reading here. I'm not repeating myself. Go back and look at our trades that offseason. Or even simpler, just go back and look at my post you quoted to begin this discussion.
It just means they didn't prioritise those player like they did for Sinn a couple of drafts later.

The List Management Team will burn a 2nd rounder to move up a few spots to get their guy. They didn't feel a need in that draft.

I love Kossi Pickett but I'm pretty happy with Bergman.

In the interest of fairness, lets have a look at the trade and leave it at that.
These can be a bit tough to work out.

Port Adelaide get:

Pick 12 - Miles Bergman
Pick 18 - Mitch Georgiades
2020 4th Rounder - we didn't use it

St Kilda get:

Pick 10 - Kysaiah Pickett - Port to Saints to Freo to Melbourne
Dougal Howard - 80 games and still going
Paddy Ryder - 38 games played
2020 3rd Rounder - they didn't use it

And if we have a look at that area of the draft:

11. Sam Flanders
12. Kysaiah Pickett - SA, Port connection
13. Will Day - SA lad
14. Miles Bergman
15. Cody Weightman - small forward
16. Cooper Stephens
17. Brodie Kemp
18. Mitch Georgiades
19. Sam de Koning
20. Sam Philp

Gold Coast, GWS Giants, Melbourne, Freo and Port all had good drafts.
Sydney not too bad either.
Adelaide, not the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back