Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Pick #57 (2023) - Will Lorenz

Remove this Banner Ad

Wing is certainly the role we'd hope he can fill. It's a huge gap for us, so not great to hear that. Will be interesting to see how he goes. I'd expect him to be playing wing come round 1 for the Magpies.
Yeah as I said, a few of the u18 games I watched the ball spent most of the time through the middle of the ground and wings weren’t utilised as much so he didn’t get that eye catching volume of possessions that the recruiters look for… I’d expect at senior level as more of the ground gets used he would perform better - a wonderful user of the footy which will serve him well if played on the wing…

Yeah as I said, a few of the u18 games I watched the ball spent most of the time through the middle of the ground and wings weren’t utilised as much so he didn’t get that eye catching volume of possessions that the recruiters look for… I’d expect at senior level as more of the ground gets used he would perform better - a wonderful user of the footy which will serve him well if played on the wing…
We actually play a very direct style and avoid our wings a bit at the moment, so interesting to see how that plays out. Good info though.

GAI-1vCa0AAW3Pq
Petters and Stevo - in elite company there!

Will Lorenz has become the 3rd Port Adelaide player currently with a VFL/AFL grandfather.

Ollie Lord (Alistair, Geelong) was the first of the 3.
Dante Visentini (Ian Hayden, Richmond) second.
Lorenz (Graham Arthur, Hawthorn) the newest/latest.

If we are able to draft Shaun Burgoyne's kids, that would be another with the Phillips/Collingwood connection.

Also polled well at the combine in the 2km run.
Once he builds his tank to AFL level he'll slot in nicely on the wing, hopefully he can emulate some of the talent we've lost in recent years aka Amon, Polec, Duurs, and to a lesser extent Bonner.
Would love a crafty left footer back in the side.

If he has a good first half of 2024 in the sanfl and we don't nail down a permanent wingman, he could be the first new draftee to get a look in...

Hadn't got around to watching Lorenz's draft highlights until now but i must say I'm very surprised.. He looks awesome? Like our next Duursma!

Pros
  • Left footer
  • Pace
  • Side stepping / Baulking oppos
  • Spatial awareness
  • Tackling
Cons
  • Idk
Con; First year, late pick, small frame, rubbish coach…

I think Charleson will be the pick of this crop, but really like the look of Lorenz and more than happy with him on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back